USGT

You're on Page 12 of 445
Go to
  • Our club has adopted USGT rules also. 21.5 is just perfect to bring life back to GT.
    Way to go Pete !! Glad you guy's are doing well.
  • Quote: 23 entries in Super GT+ at our regular club race last Sunday. 21.5 GT racing is taking hold!
    Super GT+ what's your variation on the USGT rules... working out the bugs for my track.... I prefer Pro GT like my Pro TA class
  • Quote: Super GT+ what's your variation on the USGT rules... working out the bugs for my track.... I prefer Pro GT like my Pro TA class
    I exactly wouldn't call it a variation on USGT, as I believe it predates USGT, but it's almost exactly the same. We run on the hard Solaris premounts, which are a slick tire on a nice spoked rim. Other than that, it's exactly the same (21.5/zero timing/GT bodies).

    I post the turnout here simply to show that support for 21.5 GT racing is growing steadily.

    As USGT becomes more established I would probably be a proponent of a gradual transition to compliance, in the interest of a unified national structure. That being said, the Solaris tires are working great for us and I don't foresee changing anytime soon, as change is the enemy of growth.
  • Running on a pre mounted slick with a nice gt style rim like the solaris might be a good option. Especially when running outside.

    I am sure they will do extensive testing to make sure all the rules are fair and easy on the wallet.
  • The nice thing about USGT is that it allows for a variety of tire/wheel choices. The Solaris has proven to be popular but has it's limitations. Offsets in GT are a nice option but 24mm offset wheel choices are VERY limited. 26mm allows for them easily. For some, appearance counts for something. A 24mm or 26mm wheel/tire without the right offset simply can't satisfy everyone. Rob did a great job allowing for optional tires/wheels. There's no doubt a more focused, nationally accepted set of rules will help GT but in the meantime, groups like Pete's keep GT interest alive.
  • It's probably a good thing for Pete's track to have the Solaris tire, and it must be working for them. The Solaris tire is a good tire as well.

    RCGT was always a treaded tire, and I also worry about single tire supplies, as it seems they become scarce from time to time. The solaris is pretty much the only spoke rim premount as Jaco is supposed to be in a dish rim now.

    As I said before, the tire thing is not written in stone. I'd just like to see if what we have now will work.
  • Quote: It's probably a good thing for Pete's track to have the Solaris tire, and it must be working for them. The Solaris tire is a good tire as well.

    RCGT was always a treaded tire, and I also worry about single tire supplies, as it seems they become scarce from time to time. The solaris is pretty much the only spoke rim premount as Jaco is supposed to be in a dish rim now.

    As I said before, the tire thing is not written in stone. I'd just like to see if what we have now will work.
    Running a spec tire is fine for a big race, but for your average weekend racer, stick with spirit of the rules....Any treaded tire on a non-dish wheel. The simpler you make the rules, the easier the rules are to follow.
  • Quote: Running a spec tire is fine for a big race, but for your average weekend racer, stick with spirit of the rules....Any treaded tire on a non-dish wheel. The simpler you make the rules, the easier the rules are to follow.

    Back when my local track decided to start running a spec touring car tire I was, shall we say, a bit miffed. I thought all my tire and insert knowledge was going to go to waste and I would be at a significant disadvantage. I was not to happy about ALL the mounted tire sets I had either. You know, this set for tuesday night, these work better on sunday, and I love this type on outdoor tracks.....

    Guess what I learned. A spec tire/insert makes for much more economical racing from both a time and dollars stand point because there is no choice. You buy this tire/insert and tune your chassis to that. No guessing what is the tire of the week, what is the new hot insert either. Just relax and have fun racing and know that if you didn't win, it wasn't because you out smarted yourself on tire choice.

    That is one factor that makes USVTA much more enjoyable. My experience is what dictated the original VTA rules at Trackside.

    Now to the present: I told Rob I would prefer a spec tire/insert for USGT. there are many fine choices.

    I am looking to run the USGT class at the USVTA Scale nats and right now I don't know what tire to buy. So I will probably have to go and buy several different sets to find the ONE I think will give me the advantage, and a smaller wallet too..........
  • The biggest problem is that every one of these spec tires winds up being unavailable for a month or 2 at a time.

    The Hurricane series allows any premount for that reason. I have been looking around for something that might be a good spec. Even if it's not premounted, that would be fine.
  • Rob...

    what is the preferred tire to be used for the USGT? and what is a recommended gear ratio on 21.5?
  • At this point, I would just go with one of the HPI tires in pro compound. I did try a couple different tires, but they all seemed to be close on lap times, within a tenth or two.
  • How about the gear ratio Rob? any good area to start with as I have never had a chance to try out the 21.5 motors....

    I read in the rules that the body cannot be on the ROAR list of T2 shells.... Does that mean that touring car shells that are out of that list can still be used?
    Or does it have to be the GT shells like the tamiya and HPI shells?
  • Quote: How about the gear ratio Rob? any good area to start with as I have never had a chance to try out the 21.5 motors....

    I read in the rules that the body cannot be on the ROAR list of T2 shells.... Does that mean that touring car shells that are out of that list can still be used?
    Or does it have to be the GT shells like the tamiya and HPI shells?
    I'd probably start near 4.0, remember the old t/a limit was 4.2..

    The idea is not to show up with a stratus that is not listed..GT/DTM/etc. is fine. The "non-T2" thing is to eliminate "race" sedan bodies and to give you an idea of what we don't want to see. Basically, no stratuses, no accords, no mazda 6s, no alfa 156, no lexus IS, no "Racing" TC bodies. If it's a BMW sedan like this
    That's ok

    This one is more questionable
    2 doors are usually going to be ok, 4 doors, it depends. I just want to see scale type bodies, not race bodies. I know you guys understand.
  • Is the top BMW for sale anywhere ? I am looking for that body.
  • I am pretty sure the one he posted is a Tamiya, but HPI has a new one that is phenomenal.

Similar Threads