R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
11
12
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
15
16
17
18 R.C. TSR T4
19
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
21
22 E.S. motiv T4
23
24
25
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
27
28
29
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
31
32
33
34
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
36
37
38 R.C. TSR A800
39
40 W.S. Reedy
41
42
43 Motiv xray
44
45
46 Motiv Xray
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55

Print Wikipost

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #1666
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
ok just to clarify i can fun a 26 mm rim with the ride tire?
Yes, they will fit. The tire will have more of a square look to them as well as a possible slightly shorter sidewall. The insert will also then not necessarily fully support the contact patch of the tire.
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #1667
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
Yes, they will fit. The tire will have more of a square look to them as well as a possible slightly shorter sidewall. The insert will also then not necessarily fully support the contact patch of the tire.

24 & 26mm
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1668
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Yes it hardly makes any difference in the profile of the tire . I just mounted a set on some silver jaco wheels my self ..
I baked them @400deg for 15min lol glad I'm single I would be in hot water ...
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #1669
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

I pulled out the caliper to make some comparisons and used the following speed calculator with the only variable being the tire diameter to get the following results for estimated top speed with each combination:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html



Although the RIDE spec tires do fit rather clean on the 26mm wheels with 6mm offset, there is clearly a disadvantage in doing so by losing roughly 0.34 mph, and the difference in speed 2.15 mph lost simply by changing over to the new spec tires, I definitely saw this first hand when racing other drivers running the HPI tires at my local track. I have not tried to alter my gearing to accommodate the smaller diameter tire, so I guess it's entirely possible to make up the difference there maybe?

*** EDIT ***
using the calculator, I had to drop 7 teeth on the 64P spur to get the same speed with the Tamiya tire as the RIDE on 26mm wheel.



*** EDIT ***
the more I study the difference between the RIDE spec on 24mm wheel vs 26mm wheel, I'm starting to think maybe that the 26mm might do better overall. The tire on the 26mm wheel is far more flat across the width providing more contact patch and will undoubtedly be less susceptible to ballooning which may provide better traction in corners... however the 24mm wheel feels softer which in turn might make it better. Perhaps it can all boil down to 24mm wheels doing better on carpet with 26mm wheels doing better on asphalt... who knows?

Also recheck your ride height when changing over to the RIDE tires as the whole geometry changes with the car being significantly lower to the ground. There is 0.8mm difference just from swapping between RIDE spec tires on 24mm vs 26mm wheels!

Last edited by billdelong; 10-26-2013 at 05:23 PM.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #1670
Tech Elite
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,284
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I have not tried to alter my gearing to accommodate the smaller diameter tire, so I guess it's entirely possible to make up the difference there maybe?
Yes, change the gears to maintain the same roll out.
__________________
Howard Cano
When race results are re-calculated using the IOF (Index Of Fun), I always win.
1993 ROAR 1/8 Pan National Champion
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #1671
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default


This is me making a 24mm rim . worked great and is strong . still flexible also
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #1672
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post

This is me making a 24mm rim . worked great and is strong . still flexible also
That's awesome.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #1673
Tech Regular
 
buckeye dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: hicksville ohio
Posts: 365
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I will rephrase my question can i legally run 26 mm rims because our lhs and race track is saying that these rims are gonna be speck rims?
__________________
Buckeye Dan
buckeye dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #1674
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,754
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
I will rephrase my question can i legally run 26 mm rims because our lhs and race track is saying that these rims are gonna be speck rims?
Yes only the Ride tire with the supplied insert are spec'd you can use any 24 or 26mm non dish wheel. The light weight Ride rims are going to be hard to beat for all out performance just based on weight alone but we understand that guys still want looks or offset.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....14th year running 2016/17!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #1675
Tech Addict
 
alloyslash's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I haven't been in the race scene since april. I'm now trying to get back to the track, but it seems a few things have changed. I like the look of the new Camaro body. How does its handling compare to the RX8, which is what I ran before?

I run a T3'10, what offset wheels will work best using the Camaro body with the new spec tire?

I was running a d3.5, but understand now its not legal. What is a few of the popular motors that people are having good luck out of? BTW I run a SP Revention ESC.

JLFX CAR AUDIO, is Thunder requiring the new tire yet? Whats my choices there now for club races?
__________________
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Cooper D4SS 17.5 / EAM 5000 / Futaba 9551 / 17.5lm
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Bullet 13.5 / EAM 5000 / Savox 1251 / 13.5 Pro EDM

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #1676
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post

I was running a d3.5, but understand now its not legal. What is a few of the popular motors that people are having good luck out of? BTW I run a SP Revention ESC.
Just my opinion; each track is going to handle the motor thing individually would be my thought. The Southern Nats, made the call to allow any mfg that had a ROAR legal 17.5, their 21.5 would also be legal (however excluded the D3.5 and any mfg's motor labeled as "outlaw"). So each track may vary.

Quite a few mfg's never submitted them to ROAR due to the fact ROAR does not have any 21.5 classes, but built them using ROAR spec's
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #1677
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Alloy slash . thunder is the only track that I know of that's keeping all D3.5 off the track during big events or point series races. Also these events will also be the only ones that will require treaded tires . I don't seen them going to the speck tire this winter . tho I have already got 3 sets to test
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #1678
Tech Master
 
Mr.juarez's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,280
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I pulled out the caliper to make some comparisons and used the following speed calculator with the only variable being the tire diameter to get the following results for estimated top speed with each combination:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html



Although the RIDE spec tires do fit rather clean on the 26mm wheels with 6mm offset, there is clearly a disadvantage in doing so by losing roughly 0.34 mph, and the difference in speed 2.15 mph lost simply by changing over to the new spec tires, I definitely saw this first hand when racing other drivers running the HPI tires at my local track. I have not tried to alter my gearing to accommodate the smaller diameter tire, so I guess it's entirely possible to make up the difference there maybe?

*** EDIT ***
using the calculator, I had to drop 7 teeth on the 64P spur to get the same speed with the Tamiya tire as the RIDE on 26mm wheel.



*** EDIT ***
the more I study the difference between the RIDE spec on 24mm wheel vs 26mm wheel, I'm starting to think maybe that the 26mm might do better overall. The tire on the 26mm wheel is far more flat across the width providing more contact patch and will undoubtedly be less susceptible to ballooning which may provide better traction in corners... however the 24mm wheel feels softer which in turn might make it better. Perhaps it can all boil down to 24mm wheels doing better on carpet with 26mm wheels doing better on asphalt... who knows?

Also recheck your ride height when changing over to the RIDE tires as the whole geometry changes with the car being significantly lower to the ground. There is 0.8mm difference just from swapping between RIDE spec tires on 24mm vs 26mm wheels!
So that explains why my usgt 21.5 is much faster top end vs my spoke wheel slicks 24mm. I'm geared at 3.20 fdr and when I put the hpis the car about half way mid straight sounds like it goes in boost which isn't boosted. I am keeping up with 17.5's when we drag race them I wanna say they put a foot gap off the line amd it stays that way, when it comes to the infield they aren't all that great until they warm up
__________________
TRF-417, KYOSHO SCR-SP
Mr.juarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #1679
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

according to my scales, the difference in weight between the spec 24mm wheel and my HPI 26mm wheel is 1.1 grams:

billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #1680
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post

This is me making a 24mm rim . worked great and is strong . still flexible also
That's awesome.
Thats awesome and crazy at the same time, hope this is not the only option to get offset wheels for a class where most use 200mm bodies on 190mm chassis.
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion liljohn1064 Electric On-Road 3954 12-04-2016 12:24 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
Drifting mr4tcsdrifter Colorado Racing 2678 11-01-2011 10:34 PM
RC GT Open str8.krooked Colorado Racing 49 04-28-2009 10:24 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:27 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0