Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
This was one of my biggest gripes when we once had a local GT class with 27T brushed motors, however, the downfall was they picked a bunch of electronics that couldn't be found in an RTR. I strongly feel that organizers should base a class purely on a RTR, I don't care which one, but just pick one. Then when spectators come up to you at the track and start asking questions with a level of interest in getting into racing, all I have to say is no prob, just go in the store and buy "XYZ" for $200, drop it on the track and start racing with us next round... done deal, hook line and sinker.

What happens instead, I tell folks oh no, you have to go online and spend hours of research studying every minute rule with meticulous detail and spend somewhere between $300-$500 to get a car race ready, maybe $1,000 (or more) if you want to go extremely high end.

So it should be no surprise that USGT is clearly NOT interested in bringing any new blood into the hobby, it's become yet another "exclusive club members only" type of snobbery... kinda sad really

USGT killed our local GT class and what sucks the most is the guys who bullied everyone into switching over to USGT are no longer running the class anymore!
Sounds like you need to go back to the rules you used before. Even moreso if the guys that forced you to run usgt don't race with you anymore.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

USGT was *added* to our local racing club. It was only after people migrated to USGT that the GT10 class faded away. USGT has had consistent numbers for quite some time now and most everyone I've talked with was glad to move away from the brushed motors (which needed replacing fairly frequently).

Anyway, enough about our local club and back to USGT discussion.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I am not sure why so many people feel that this rule is pissing on their campfire... Spec tires eliminates a variable in the class and ultimately reduces the cost for people running it. If you are serious about competing and want to be a top driver in this class then I will assume you have already spent a good amount of money on different tires already... Now a new driver to the class doesn't have to deal with the cost of testing different tires because this option was taken out. Sure there is not as many 24mm rims, but there are still plenty and I think the rims look fine. No one is saying you can't mount them on 26mm rims either. Just people have pointed out that 24mm works better... If you want to run the spec tire on some cool 26mm aluminum rims then go for it.

Here is a picture of my 24mm rims with the spec tires and I think it looks real enough to me.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hmm...never thought of myself as a bully before.
Tommy, I've got no hard feelings toward you, though I would probably include you in the group of early adopters for USGT, and by default yes, technically you are one of the USGT bullies since you're not running the class anymore, but we're still cool bro, I know you didn't have any mean intentions.

I totally understand your reasons for making the initial switch, it just wasn't fair when the USGT cars were lumped in with GT and then folks slowly started switching over to USGT so they could get the competitive edge with faster brushless motors. It was impossible to tech the gearing and keep everyone honest in matching speeds. So then I was forced to go USGT as it grew old being one of the last cars on the track with a brushed 27T motor and nearly coming in last place week after week. That to me is how I felt bullied into making the shift to USGT.

Fortunately I found a decent deal with the Turnigy electronics and keeping it somewhat affordable to move into the USGT class for around $45 for a motor+esc combo. Then not even a month AFTER I made the investment with perfectly legal electronics at the time, the USGT jokers decided to change the rules and squash truly affordable electronics in the class. To say that I am disgusted with the "USGT Snobs" is too kind of words than I care to share on this forum.

Will I continue to race USGT with local rules? You bet! The main reason why I am not racing in the EOS this year is because of the whole USGT mess. I'm not gonna spend another dime on replacing perfectly good electronics that are right in line with most other cars on the track. In fact, there are 2 other cars which go at least 2-3 mph faster than mine in top speed. So for someone to say Turnigy is a cheater motor is absurd.

I attempted to share my thoughts in private with the USGT powers that be, but they fell on deaf ears. Now the madness is continuing to fester with yet even more ridiculous rule changes, I feel it appropriate to share my extreme distaste publicly now.

You guys need to realize that you're excluding club racers from traveling to events outside their local area when you continue to make mistake after mistake with each rule change. The only question is, will the USGT Snobs learn from their mistakes???

Oh and here's the irony with 27T Brushed GT vs 21.5T Brushless USGT: you can get away with crappier tires with a slower brushed motor, not only that, the tire wear isn't nearly as bad as opposed to running at least 10mph faster with a brushless motor, doh!

I suspect that may be a contributing reason why the Advans did well in GT, but not so good in USGT.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I guess you cant make everybody happy
Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I guess you cant make everybody happy
Life is rough at the top!

Hang in there, like you have always done. There are plenty of racers here who appreciate all that you and your group of helpers do for us.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I think the tire situation is a good thing. At our track we don't even make you use threaded tires. I however am the only using the hpi xpattern. Everyone else uses the spec'd sedan tire(sweep28) butbi am still just as fast on threaded tires. The reason they went with that tire was to allow people to just change a motor. I was originally trying to find a cheap threaded tire but everything was from Hong Kong and took forever to get. No one wanted to try to move to the threaded rule so I stopped looking. I will buy the new rides and start using them as I like the look of scale wheels which is why I never used the sedan tires. I actually think the threaded are faster then the sedan tires anyway. Maybe at some point our track will make the switch. As I read the 2 posts above was there an electronics switch that I didn't hear about.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerz616
I think the tire situation is a good thing. At our track we don't even make you use threaded tires. I however am the only using the hpi xpattern. Everyone else uses the spec'd sedan tire(sweep28) butbi am still just as fast on threaded tires. The reason they went with that tire was to allow people to just change a motor. I was originally trying to find a cheap threaded tire but everything was from Hong Kong and took forever to get. No one wanted to try to move to the threaded rule so I stopped looking. I will buy the new rides and start using them as I like the look of scale wheels which is why I never used the sedan tires. I actually think the threaded are faster then the sedan tires anyway. Maybe at some point our track will make the switch. As I read the 2 posts above was there an electronics switch that I didn't hear about.
Roar approved motors
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I like the idea of one tire, that way I don't have spend the money on buying three sets of x patterns to see what works for me. I know the Ride tire works because I have see Kevin and Rob run them. I see Usgt as an affordable class to race just the same as VTA is.
Dave
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Ryan, the problem with the new tire rule is that some Austin folks have already started investing (stock piling) in various treaded RIDE tires that are not what Rob decided on. Some are 26mm tires which would've been the most logical choice to me, but I digress.

The root of the blame really goes toward HPI for failing the industry. Which begs how much time we have left before VTA self destructs too?

I think it was a great idea to promote a tire that is better than what HPI had to offer, but to make that the only tire option is what makes no sense to me, not when there are 3 different RIDE tires to choose from, each arguably with the same performance/compound. That's no different than telling folks they need to buy ROAR approved electronics which in turn drives prices up.

Once RIDE gets word that they are the only game in the world for distribution of tires, I'd be willing to bet my left lugnut their prices will double!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Tommy, I've got no hard feelings toward you, though I would probably include you in the group of early adopters for USGT, and by default yes, technically you are one of the USGT bullies since you're not running the class anymore, but we're still cool bro, I know you didn't have any mean intentions.

I totally understand your reasons for making the initial switch, it just wasn't fair when the USGT cars were lumped in with GT and then folks slowly started switching over to USGT so they could get the competitive edge with faster brushless motors. It was impossible to tech the gearing and keep everyone honest in matching speeds. So then I was forced to go USGT as it grew old being one of the last cars on the track with a brushed 27T motor and nearly coming in last place week after week. That to me is how I felt bullied into making the shift to USGT.

Fortunately I found a decent deal with the Turnigy electronics and keeping it somewhat affordable to move into the USGT class for around $45 for a motor+esc combo. Then not even a month AFTER I made the investment with perfectly legal electronics at the time, the USGT jokers decided to change the rules and squash truly affordable electronics in the class. To say that I am disgusted with the "USGT Snobs" is too kind of words than I care to share on this forum.

Will I continue to race USGT with local rules? You bet! The main reason why I am not racing in the EOS this year is because of the whole USGT mess. I'm not gonna spend another dime on replacing perfectly good electronics that are right in line with most other cars on the track. In fact, there are 2 other cars which go at least 2-3 mph faster than mine in top speed. So for someone to say Turnigy is a cheater motor is absurd.

I attempted to share my thoughts in private with the USGT powers that be, but they fell on deaf ears. Now the madness is continuing to fester with yet even more ridiculous rule changes, I feel it appropriate to share my extreme distaste publicly now.

You guys need to realize that you're excluding club racers from traveling to events outside their local area when you continue to make mistake after mistake with each rule change. The only question is, will the USGT Snobs learn from their mistakes???

Oh and here's the irony with 27T Brushed GT vs 21.5T Brushless USGT: you can get away with crappier tires with a slower brushed motor, not only that, the tire wear isn't nearly as bad as opposed to running at least 10mph faster with a brushless motor, doh!

I suspect that may be a contributing reason why the Advans did well in GT, but not so good in USGT.
I really feel for you guys as I have been trying to promote USGT locally and its been a bit of an up hill battle recently. Nearly EVERYONE in our club ran the Turnigy motor and it was great, with the new rule {shrug} not quite sure what is going to happen. I ended up building a full car and the cheapest parts were the motor and esc (justock $50new and Trackstar $35new).

On the brushed vs brushless however I applaud the change for you guys as it was the originial reason I didn't take GT10 seriously. Brushed motors need to go away from racing. It becomes too easy for people to buy motors in built and then test to find "the one". Upkeep/replacement/durability is another issue. Additionally USGT needs to separate itself from VTA and 17.5 sedan in terms of speed.

I am glad to see the new spec tire as that makes it alot easier for people coming in to not be overwhelmed. In VTA Mike has always allowed the sprint 2 to be run right out of the box in our weekly club races. To date I think I have only seen 1 or 2 and usually it was a 1 shot deal. While it is nice to have a fully spec'd class it really isn't realistic.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh please lets me reply ...please please please. ..Ill be nice about it
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

U don't need permission ... Please preach.
I for one am one of those racers that will spend the extra money to try to figure out what's fast . heck I bought 8 different 21.5 motors to insure I had the fastest motor to race the southern nats . I bought 3 different kinds of tires to test . so in don't mind having to figure these speed secrets out but I would have loved if spec tire was already set so I could have stocked up on the only tire necessary to be competitive . and if a motor was specked ...well I would buy it also (I sold 7 of my 8 21.5 motors)
I would much rather have a list of stuff to buy to run this class vs having to figure out which to buy to stay up front . for those of us that have stocked up on sertain things well they will eventually ware out and need to be replaced ... I'm sure local club/tracks wouldn't mind allowing u to run a different tire that ride if they knew u had 10+ sets of x patterns. I know I have 6 sets I'll sell or run out . us gt is great and seems to be only getting better
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Nearly EVERYONE in our club ran the Turnigy motor and it was great, with the new rule {shrug} not quite sure what is going to happen. I ended up building a full car and the cheapest parts were the motor and esc (justock $50new and Trackstar $35new).
What is stopping the Turnigy motor from being approved by ROAR? I am guessing the only thing is that it hasn't been sent in for testing. If that is the case you should be talking to the manufacturer to have them send one in to be approved. Maybe them knowing that it can't be ran in a lot of classes until it is approved and it will effect sales for them they might do it. Now if it has been sent in and failed testing... Don't know what to tell you.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Rides mounted on 24 and 26mm rims

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.