R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default How do you buy spares for your new car?

Just putting this question to everyone.

You've just bought yourself a new car for the season. You've done your research, and you know which parts on the car are the ones that are susceptible to breaking. Do you:

A) Buy only those parts that break regularly?
B) Buy another kit to take spare parts from?

Just been thinking it through, I think B) would be the better idea. The parts would be cheaper overall, as not only are spares more expensive to buy by themsleves, but you also get a whole lot of other parts that may break over time, or at least suffer wear.

On the other hand, you could be left with a whole bunch of crap you don't really need, and have had to pay for another kit.

What do you do?
Xray T2'008|-●-|Hot Bodies D8E|-●-|3Racing F109|-●-|TLR 22 2.0
If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

If it's an old car like a TC3/4 you can buy a whole other car for parts. They are cheap enough where that would be a good idea. But if it's a more modern car like a XRAY or Corally, then just go with part that are likely to break.
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

buy parts. you dont break much with the newer version cars.. well not as often.on my side.. but you save a lot.. you can buy 3 sets of a arm and shock tower and it will be much less than a new kit and beside buying a new kit only gives you one set of each.then when you break those whats next? end up buying new kit?lol.. just do what you gotta do,use ur instinc and you be alright,beside its your money.
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Good question.
In the past I have just bought what is prone to breaking (arms, knuckles,pins).

Another option is to buy another kit.Especially if you are supporting your LHS as I would be willing to bet the store owner would give you a heck of a deal
if you tell him/her you are walking out with two kits under your arms.
You could sell off some of the parts you are not going to use (chassis ect),get some coin back and have plenty of spare parts on hand.
I did this with my 1/8 buggy and it's great to have another set of built shocks and diffs when you are scrambling to make a heat/main.
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my case it really depends on the chassis im running. When i was running with Xray, i bought a T2R for spares, and i didn't regret it.

Right now im running a cyclone, and i dont have a spare car, but i have a very good ideia of what breaks, so i take my chances.

It's easier if you always run on the same tracks. For exemple, i run fast outdoors tracks. I NEVER break arms. It's easier to break the top deck than arms where i run. A few months i went racing indoors and broke 4 (!) rear arms.

It's a compromise... how important are the races you atend? What are you chances of getting spares at the place? where i am, it's usual to spend 200 dolares getting to a race, so i dont mind spending some money on peace of mind.

If the ideia is to buy a spare chassis to use just 4 arms and 4 knuckles, i dont think thats a good deal. In the past i have bought a 2nd chassis, but i end buying the used parts so i could sell the car for some cash.
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

There is no point to buying a whole new kit. Some parts in the kit will never break so you end paying for stuff you will never use.
Lipo? Brushless?? I'm still running Sanyo NiCds with a mechanical speed control.
FrostyDude is offline   Reply With Quote