Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can I be competitive with an old car? >

Can I be competitive with an old car?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Can I be competitive with an old car?

I still have my old HPI RS4 Pro2 laying around somewhere. Actually I still have my original RS4, with the belt in front and the 64P version of the Stealth in the back.

Anyway, the Pro2 was as fast as anything else before I quit racing. Then all the shaft drive cars came along. I was surprised that the shaft drive cars have been replaced by belt drive machines that look almost exactly like my Pro2 that is over ten years old.

You think I could be competitive with a Losi Street Weapon, or a XXX-S, or an AE TC4 ? I know that they are all discontinued, and would probably end up costing me as much as a new kit.

I suppose the reason these cars interest me is because they are all different from what I have run in the past. The newer belt drive cars look exactly like what I used to run in the past.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Yes, the only question is if you can get parts for it still.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by or8ital
Yes, the only question is if you can get parts for it still.
Excellent, I am going to try and find a Losi Speed Weapon for sale. I will have to try and not crash.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Just keep in mind that you will likely need to fit a lipo battery into it and some of the older cars they won't fit as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Frosty, just my 2cents worth....DO NOT get a street weapon. Thats if you can find one. Don't see many for sale and parts are a pain.
I can definitely suggest the XXX-S though. Then again, I'm a little biased....I own 4 of them and I race 2. One in VTA and 1 in RCGT. Parts are still easy to get and it's still able to put a hurt on newer chassis. Not only that but gobs of information is still available. Setup sheets galore and some great info here on rctech. There's 2 really good threads , 1 regarding mod use and one for stock. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Man you can be competitive with ANYTHING. It all comes down to electronics and driving skill. You can pick up a TC3 roller for super cheap. And you can still find tons of parts for it.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Frosty, just my 2cents worth....DO NOT get a street weapon. Thats if you can find one. Don't see many for sale and parts are a pain.
I can definitely suggest the XXX-S though. Then again, I'm a little biased....I own 4 of them and I race 2. One in VTA and 1 in RCGT. Parts are still easy to get and it's still able to put a hurt on newer chassis. Not only that but gobs of information is still available. Setup sheets galore and some great info here on rctech. There's 2 really good threads , 1 regarding mod use and one for stock. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
Thanks! Any suggestions where I might be able to pick up a XXX-S kit? The replacement parts are plentiful, but I can't seem to find a kit or a used roller.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bjholz
Man you can be competitive with ANYTHING. It all comes down to electronics and driving skill. You can pick up a TC3 roller for super cheap. And you can still find tons of parts for it.
Is there a big difference between the TC3 and the TC4?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can find the xxxs rollers on ebay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XXXS-G-LOSI-ROLL...item3a5bfe01a2
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrostyDude
Is there a big difference between the TC3 and the TC4?
Not enough that you will notice. Tc4 are prolly rpetty cheap too. I have an older Rs4 that I wouldn't race, as it has a FRP chassis. Wayy too flexy.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

AE still makes the TC4 as an RTR so the parts are all still available..
Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
AE still makes the TC4 as an RTR so the parts are all still available..
That is excellent news. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could race an older car and never crash, but you will wear out a part, that's where replacing will become a problem.

I don't mean to sound like an ass-hat, but buy something new so you won't have to worry about parts.

Just don't get an Serpent S400
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hyde
You could race an older car and never crash, but you will wear out a part, that's where replacing will become a problem.
Oh I know, I suppose when I break a part I will have to search far and wide to find it. Some of the older cars are so cheap on the used market that I might get several for parts.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrostyDude
Oh I know, I suppose when I break a part I will have to search far and wide to find it. Some of the older cars are so cheap on the used market that I might get several for parts.
If you like HPI stuff I am about to put up for a sale an HPI pro 4 hara edition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.