R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   corner dots, one of the worst thinks to hit Mike's hobbyshop (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/408303-corner-dots-one-worst-thinks-hit-mikes-hobbyshop.html)

theisgroup 06-15-2010 05:27 AM

corner dots, one of the worst thinks to hit Mike's hobbyshop

well a couple of guys at our track have descided to "try" corner dots. I mean, why would you even want to do that? the majority of our attendance is 1/12 scalers and corner dots just promote breakage for these little cars. they do not do anything but launch 1/12 scales.

one of the things i like about carpet and foam tires for 1/12 is that it is all about the accuracy of the cars and how slot car like they are. and with corner dots well the corner is no longer a definitive line you never know just how close you can get to the "corner" now.

the pro driver we have at the track does not like them. and the newest member at our track(he has not even raced yet) has already stated just how hard it is to learn to drive a 1/12 with dots on the carpet. and yet we continue to run them for a couple of TC drivers

i mean, I understand it from a tc perspective. it is all about not breaking steering knuckles. but as i have heard over and over and over, "quit hitting the boards and you will quit breaking stuff".

looking for perspective on this. maybe I am just way out there, but i have not heard very many people that actually perfer a track with dots.

MikeXray 06-15-2010 05:58 AM

They look awesome in the euro tracks, but I can imagine that they will send you into oncoming traffic with mistakes. I could see adding some to tricky corners to add a challenge.

TheOtherBill 06-15-2010 06:14 AM

The track I race at uses metal plow disks but they run many different classes, TC, TC nitro, F-1, Slash on-road, and a little 1/12. I really dont care for them myself because if in the heat of battle you (that would be me) clip one and its frequent flyer time. I was stated above stay off the boards and dots. :nod:

pejota 06-15-2010 06:33 AM

During the 24 hours of Lemans this weekend, one of the teams (Peugot, Audi maybe) made it a point to try and stay off the rumble strips on the inside of the turn. Their rationale was that during a 24 hour race it would cause too much stress and damage on the suspension components.

The same theory should apply in 10th scale racing... corner dots, flappers, pipes-- stay off if you want to finish the race.

Foxxrocket 06-15-2010 07:19 AM

I've hit one of those with my oval car, and it sent it on its lid 15 feet across the track. It was cool to watch, but it put me down from the lead lap. I've also done cartwheels, front flips and barrel rolls my TC. all unintentional.

Gitsum 06-15-2010 07:24 AM

I personally like the corner dots they do have different height dots. Depending on which ones your track is using the larger ones will send you flying where the smaller ones won't.

theisgroup 06-15-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gitsum (Post 7544317)
I personally like the corner dots they do have different height dots. Depending on which ones your track is using the larger ones will send you flying where the smaller ones won't.

do they make some small enough to not launch a 1/12? i have not seen any in that size before

robk 06-15-2010 07:44 AM

Are you talking about metal dots, or road dome dots, or the soft plastic ones that Tamiya and Integy sell? There is a big difference in the launch factor.

Jochim_18 06-15-2010 07:45 AM

For me corner dots helps me judge the corner better. Co'z I'm blind :lol::lol:

Gitsum 06-15-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by theisgroup (Post 7544366)
do they make some small enough to not launch a 1/12? i have not seen any in that size before

I honestly could not tell you. I do know they make them in plastic and metal. Maybe the smaller plastic ones wouldn't launch a 1/12 but I think it would be very unlikely considering how small the cars are and how low they are run. You will just have to search a bit or stay of the dots lol :sneaky:

theisgroup 06-15-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 7544381)
Are you talking about metal dots, or road dome dots, or the soft plastic ones that Tamiya and Integy sell? There is a big difference in the launch factor.

i don't know. i know that they are not metal and they do launch 1/12. all the 1/12 guys that ran this past weekend commented about the launch factor. the problem with being launched is that you have not control where you land. at lease boards, you let off and you slow down, once in the air, you really have little control of where you are headed

Timbulb 06-15-2010 07:54 AM

Soundslike the dudes in your club need to become better drivers. :nod:

Don't wanna fly? Don't hit the dots.

theisgroup 06-15-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Timbulb (Post 7544411)
Soundslike the dudes in your club need to become better drivers. :nod:

Don't wanna fly? Don't hit the dots.

if we were all as good as Dumas, then I would agree. the question is more would you rather hit a dot that launches you or would you rather hit a board.

i really don't hit stuff. but for me judging the corners is much hard with dots because dots are not definative. you could run over the edge of a dot and not change the line of your car in the corner one time and then the very next time you do the same and it launches the car.

TC4Racer123 06-15-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by pejota (Post 7544165)
During the 24 hours of Lemans this weekend, one of the teams (Peugot, Audi maybe) made it a point to try and stay off the rumble strips on the inside of the turn. Their rationale was that during a 24 hour race it would cause too much stress and damage on the suspension components.

The same theory should apply in 10th scale racing... corner dots, flappers, pipes-- stay off if you want to finish the race.

Man that was a bummer none of the Peugot cars finished.
At my track we have track dots. Don't bother me (I run 17.5 TC). If i get launched, its my fault. If it were a board, i would have just slammed into the wall and been dead right in the apex of the turn. The dots don't seem to bother the 1/12 scale drivers either.

PrimeAKF11 06-15-2010 08:37 AM

I have never raced a 12th scale, but as a TC racer, I like corner dots. They look much more realistic than a rounded piece of PVC pipe. You don't see 'click track' barriers on full scale race tracks; IMO, RC tracks should be the same way.