Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Sorex tires on exp rims >

Sorex tires on exp rims

Sorex tires on exp rims

Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
We use sorex as spec tires, and wanted to find out if they will fit on the new EXP rims from Sweep without issues. I tried different types of rims, but the material used and the deep hex design is the best on the exp rims. I've come across some rims that are just slightly too small for the sorex and didn't have a snug fit. Wondered if anyone knows. Thanks.
#1 combo in my book. I've been using this combo with Hara v2 medium inserts with Sorex 24s all winter on carpet. Works awesome! Actually, I prefer the SJ-R inserts with the Jaco Prism rims, but if you're putting together your own, the EXP rim is a perfect fit for the sorex tire.

Close #2 is the Yokomo rim. Buy the ones packaged from Associated, they're less expensive in general. Not as tough as the EXP, though.

I've broken every rim out there except a Jaco prism and the EXP.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherry2blost
The Speedmind K28 rims are awesome almost indestructible and fit perfect for Sorex 28R's
+1

GREAT combo right there.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

using sweep exp rims with sorex... fit is fine.

the exp rims are a bit softer compared to the soft yokomo rims.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by OVA
speedmind rims are good
I use speedmind dish rims on all my sorex. They never break or crack & are quite flexible.
Also they are a very good price : from RC Mart
Old 02-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1101
I use speedmind dish rims on all my sorex. They never break or crack & are quite flexible.
Also they are a very good price : from RC Mart
+1.. speedmind rims have never cracked on me.. ever.. even in really big hits..
Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

I used all kinds of rims. The best is Speedmind dish. EXP works prefect too but it melts for my CA glue. Yokomo works too.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioxqq
I used all kinds of rims. The best is Speedmind dish. EXP works prefect too but it melts for my CA glue. Yokomo works too.
+1 The Speedmind dish is the best, runs really true, more or less indestructible, relatively cheap.

24 or 28 Sorex, JB or EXP lightweight blue insert, incredible on carpet

Never have to worry about wheels again
Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Robert421
after reading your posts, I wondered if you found the best rim to use with the sorex. I have a set on hpi rims and they are great runners on my TC4. Just picked up a set of sorex and wondered if other rims were better.
HPI 24mm dish rims break at the hex. I've had at least 4 do this to me and seen a lot of other HPI 24mm dish rims do it too. Thought it might have been a bad batch but they were ordered from different places over a period of about a year.

Never had a problem with the Yokomo's and they're pretty cheap. They're also sold as Associated rims in bags of 4 for usually under $5 USD. The plastic reacts to some of the traction compounds out there so be careful applying it.

Haven't had any EXP rims break on me but they get gouged at the lip easily when racing on asphalt I find.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spongerX
HPI 24mm dish rims break at the hex. I've had at least 4 do this to me and seen a lot of other HPI 24mm dish rims do it too. Thought it might have been a bad batch but they were ordered from different places over a period of about a year.

Never had a problem with the Yokomo's and they're pretty cheap. They're also sold as Associated rims in bags of 4 for usually under $5 USD. The plastic reacts to some of the traction compounds out there so be careful applying it.

Haven't had any EXP rims break on me but they get gouged at the lip easily when racing on asphalt I find.
So you are saying that the associated dish rims are Yokomo's right? The HPI's that I have held up on carpet with little breakage around the "bead".
Old 02-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

So you are saying that the associated dish rims are Yokomo's right?
That is correct.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

So you are saying that the associated dish rims are Yokomo's right? The HPI's that I have held up on carpet with little breakage around the "bead".
The HPIs I've seen break have broken/cracked at the hex. The bead is fine. I've seen the wheel completely break off the hex section mid race. The plastic hex will still be on the car while the dish wheel has a tidy hole where the hex should be. Funny to see mid-race, annoying when it happens to you.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Speedmind too soft !
Best wheel for Sorex Tire is
YOKOMO TW-1012-2 , TW1012Y2 , TW-1012H2 or TW-2512 !
Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

you, please stop posting here. I see you do not carry Speedmind rims but carrying yokomo rims. It is obvious on why you keep saying Yokomo is better the speedmind.

Speedmind is the best rim for Sorex and the price is unbeatable.

Last edited by ioxqq; 02-14-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Speedmind too soft !Best wheel for Sorex Tire is
YOKOMO TW-1012-2 , TW1012Y2 , TW-1012H2 or TW-2512 !
That statement in red defies so much personal experience and sales success as to be nonsense. For quite a long time (before the last year or so when Sorexs have become hard for secondary vendors to get in bulk) the speedmind/sorex combo sold like hotcakes, and the SJ-R Jaco wheels/Sorex (also nylon rims with the same bead diameter and bead width as the Speedmind) sold faster than they could be glued up. Being a more flexible material, the nylon wheels survive better in the real world of the basic 'hobby/sportsman' weekly competator than just about anything else, especially wheels made from ABS.

Personally, I don't like the Speedmind because they tend to take a set and wobble when smacked into a barrier, and can't be fixed. They're damn tough, though, and for sure will last, and they don't get brittle in the cold or soft in the heat. That's why I like the EXP nylon rims, as they won't take a set and wobble like the Speedmind, but they're only about 90% as durable.

We get that you like the yokomo. We get that you have them in stock. We get that you're a for-profit company with an agenda.

"Best" is defined by the end user. Some people think that the Schumacher Rev-lite wheels are hands down the lightest, best fitting and truest running wheels for the Sorex tires, and I would agree with that........if you can consistently perform at or near the Pro/Club Pro level. For the rest of the real world, we're not that good or consistent at staying off of the barriers, or other cars, and the Rev Lights are too fragile at the best of times (never mind the cold), and they don't hold up well to high heat in the summer time.

Get this..........different people race in different areas with different tracks, with different weather, with different surfaces, with different proficiency levels........and not everyone has experienced good luck with the Yokomo rims in terms of durability or suitability. They're more of an standard due to cost and availability than anything else. Amongst wheels that are properly sized (and it's WELL established that speedminds are, in fact, properly sized to the acceptable range for Sorex tires), most would rather have wheels that outlast the tires than the other way around.....and based on that criteria alone, the speedmind wheels are one of the best offerings out there.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just wanted to revive this topic. I posted earlier that the Speedmind were best. I do agree with the above poster, they are almost indestructible and have been my favourite for ages.

But, entirely by accident, I found out something. I ran out of my usual Speedmind rims and had put together a set of Sorex28/Sorex rim/JB insert, and found the level of grip much higher with the stiffer Sorex rim. Night and day different with the 417, and slightly better with the Xray T3. The 417 was definitely more sensitive to the change. Permanent carpet track.

I would have thought there would be more grip with a flexible rim. So while I agree with the above poster, for club meetings and most people the Speedmind rules, there might be something in what RCMarket is saying in that the rim is too soft. I'm not too quick but rarely crash, and certainly I would like to try the Yokomo dish wheels to see if there is an improvement in grip and consistency.

Can anyone tell me the order of hardness of the Yokomo rims, I don't know which ones to buy, there are different model numbers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.