Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT....Where is it at now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I understand what you're saying, Evo. And 24mm rims are a great consideration as well. My only worry is the topic of 24mm wheels turning into a discussion about getting 24mm TC wheels that are spoked because they are cheaper, and then it exploding from there. That is my only worry there.

However, on the other hand, if we say 24mm RCGT STYLE WHEELS ONLY NO IFs, ANDs, or BUTs, closing the room for discussion, I think it would be better that way.

I am surprised more and more people are not chiming in here. With the arrival and popularity of the SP Citrix Club Spec combo, looks like this class may in fact take off again, and possibly stay its own class! If other companies join in on the class, I think it will be that much better.

BTW, have we made any penlaties that will result in deduction of points of DQ if a person is caught changing motor armatures, timing on the motor, or modding the ESC? Or are we still finalizing all the "Do's" before we go into the "Don't, or else"?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Technic
I really can't believe people want open tire. That is even worse than locking us into $50+ sets of X-patterns, in my opinion.
+1

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Well, the majority spoke T.J, including one of your own. What would you have suggested ??
Solaris tires last well and produce good traction. Their spoke wheel is not a replica of a real wheel but is "realistic".
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
+1

Solaris tires last well and produce good traction. Their spoke wheel is not a replica of a real wheel but is "realistic".
Rick, thanks for that link. I've never used them but they do look good. I have a question though.
You agreed that open tire was a bad idea. What will we do when the Blast Off becomes available and a bunch of people want to use it ?? And what about the argument that using 24mm racing tires is to close to TC and severely limits wheel choices ??

HarryN....I firmly agree that the wheel choices should stay unchanged. They need to be realistic wheels...period. I think thats getting confused a bit by how you define "realistic". Does that mean "anything spoked that isn't a dish wheel " or does it mean a "true duplicate of a real wheel". When HPI created the program it was the intent to push "realism" all the way. They produced a number of licensed wheel designs. They're aren't to many of those in TC world...if any. I think you're right. We should stay true to that. BUT...therin lies a problem. Most of those wheels are 26mm width. So the obvious tire choice would have to be 26mm. And then the whole tire storm starts all over !! And then what do we do about those few 24mm real wheels and tires ?? Once you open that 24mm pandoras box.....all hell breaks loose. Man, I thought we were close.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

I'd like to ask this question now and see where it stands. Whats your opinion on proposing "Any 26mm rubber treaded or slick tire with any insert"
as the new tire rule ???
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Most TC Tires are 24mm, I do not understand why you say 26mm, as that would still pretty much relegate us to HPI product.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If the tire and insert are open why does it even matter what the width is?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Has anyone tried mounting a 24mm slick tire to a 26mm rim?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Has anyone tried mounting a 24mm slick tire to a 26mm rim?
Yep...and they work great. Pete, my Cirtix Spec car had 24mm tires on the HPI 26mm rim. What did you think of them?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

MTechnic, trying to get away from the "open tire" situation that you mentioned a dislike to.

Tim, 26mm has the widest variety of wheels and offsets. 24mm tire choices are HUGE.....which puts us right back into the "open tire" situation.

So whats the fix?.....if you folks have an opinion you must also have a suggestion. So what is it ??
Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Yep...and they work great. Pete, my Cirtix Spec car had 24mm tires on the HPI 26mm rim. What did you think of them?
Charlie, which tire ??
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
I thought you were too fast and should be BANNED.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Charlie, which tire ??
I had Sweep 36's on them and was really happy with them.
Food For Thought:
24mm tire on 26mm wheel=lower profile tire on rim. Looks cool IMO.

@Pete-yeah...the car was pretty fun to drive, that's for sure!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Just my opinion at this point....

Our RCGT class is limited (5-6 guys), and really don't see the numbers picking up the way we like to see them, but I don't think opening up the wheels and tires will help much in our case.

We're pretty much staying the course and running the current guidelines with the X-Patterns this season.

I'll be interested to see if any of you other guys make a tire/wheel changes and see if it helps.

I think by continuing to offer an RCGT class will be the key to getting more racers onboard....eventually.

The more spectators and casual racers see how cool this class is, the better the chance that they will jump in.

I also think that as long as we all embrace the concept of RCGT, by the body styles, limited power, and realistic wheels and tires, we can still tweak the guidelines a bit, to suit each individual program.

Most of our guys are already locked into VTA and Nitro VTA, so we also have to look for new racers all the time, for RCGT.

RCGT is still a great class, and looking to still build upon it....
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Now if you use 24mm tires on 26mm rims, wouldn't the problem then be the traction? I mean with the insert in there are well, wouldn't it be like pumping 90lbs of pressure into your tires? In turn, wouldn't that also cause more wear?

Looks like the next major topic is tires. LOL! But at least the other parts of the rules are now solid. Which is good.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
Now if you use 24mm tires on 26mm rims, wouldn't the problem then be the traction? I mean with the insert in there are well, wouldn't it be like pumping 90lbs of pressure into your tires? In turn, wouldn't that also cause more wear?

Looks like the next major topic is tires. LOL! But at least the other parts of the rules are now solid. Which is good.
You can use 24mm tires on 26mm rims with no problem. Back when we had to glue tires to race this was something we would do as a tuning option. It makes the tire lower profile like Charlie said. Some tires worked better on 26mm rims...sorex and Yokomo tires were the better on 26mm rims then 24mm. So its not unheard of to do this. If you were around Sedan racing when it was huge ie late 90's this was common place to do. So yeah you could spec a Sorex 36 and insert and say what ever 26mm rim you want to keep the cost lower because the tires will last that much longer.

to bad Yokomo doesnt still make the 206 line of tires....they were like 5 bucks a pair and worked well on carpet and asphalt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.