Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT....Where is it at now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdapart
Well that worries me, what do I need to do to "juice" one of those bad boys?
I agree completely about the tire thing. Any rubber tire on any realistic rim works for me, but I think RCGT should be a 21.5 motor only class. I also think that any esc should be ok as long as it doesn't have a boost feature.

Of course I am somewhat biased as this would really just allow me to run RCGT as I am and not have to worry about buying silvercan after silvercan to try and stay competitive with some of these old timer mini guys who can "juice" the heck out of 'em.
Don't worry about silver cans -- stick with your RCGT rig and the class will grow back around you. I will be back in RCGT next race under these new guidelines to try them out.

RCGT started as a 17.5 class and I don't see that changing. The only thing that threw it out of whack was the advanced ESCs and now that that's about to be over it'll be back to good times.

Run your 21.5 if you want though -- it really is a fun speed. A 21.5 with zero timing is about like a healthy silver can.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Don't worry about silver cans -- stick with your RCGT rig and the class will grow back around you. I will be back in RCGT next race under these new guidelines to try them out.

RCGT started as a 17.5 class and I don't see that changing. The only thing that threw it out of whack was the advanced ESCs and now that that's about to be over it'll be back to good times.

Run your 21.5 if you want though -- it really is a fun speed. A 21.5 with zero timing is about like a healthy silver can.
You know, sometimes it takes a few voices to make me really listen !! Any rubber tire on any realistic rim actually makes sense !! This is a drivers class. If you like slicks, get slicks...if you like treads,use treads. 24 or 26mm..blah, blah, blah....Its all about maintaining the spirit of the rules and the class. Yeah...I know...DUH !!
And trust me when I tell you that 21.5 is just as fun as 17.5. In it's element on shorter,technical tracks...the 21.5 is great. Hey Pete....I think we may have this figured out.
And by the way everybody, this may mean that GT is on its own without HPI's support but we'll see. All I can do is propose it and see what happens. Otherwise....what do we call this thing ??? Just "GT" sounds good to me.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default .

Well, I decided to retire the r1 pro as the cogging issues were really too much. I have the cirtrix which I am thinking I will put into the TC5 that I just traded my 1/8 buggy for and try and run in 17.5 TC (will this be ok?) I have an old silvercan in my M-04 that I plan on putting in the TC3 with an old G11 pro and a lipo cutoff if the silvercan class still has some players. If we have enough for RCGT then I'll run the TC5 with the same body and some x-patterns. Definitely want to try 2 classes though to make sure I get more than 1 round in!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Hey, where you been !? You started this whole thing ya know !!

Good to hear about your track. Its sounding very positive so far.

Well, I'm glad my post helped bring the "RCGT" issues to light. Hopefully this discussion will help bring the class back to the glory days of "RCGT".
IMHO, I think this class is very important for the future of EP on-road as a whole as it seems to me, at least in my area, that racers don't seem to be getting any younger. Kids like trucks, so naturally the T-Maxx boom and now the SCT boom took all the attention with the remainder being swallowed up by the drift crowd. The realistic "RCGT" type classes, along with Mini, are the best chances EP on-road has to gain back, realistically, some of the attention.

As for our track's 17.5 GT class, things are going good so far with the rules OK for the time being. With the introduction of the Cirtix combo, i'd like to see our ESC rules evolve into a NO "Boost/Timing" capable esc ruling.
As for our 24mm tire rule.....so far so good. But I do see the declining availability of realistic 24mm wheels though. I remember back when we had quite a range of choices from manufacturers like Kyosho, SpeedMind, OFNA, Integy, Yokomo, Mugen, Tamiya and of course HPI. I usually don't buy premounts because the usual 5-spoked premount wheels are kinda OK for me BUT the Solaris multispoke wheels actually look nice. I would like to see more color choices than the typical white though.

Last edited by FREAKAH; 06-19-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tires in rcgt

Hey there from the midwest, Our club had started rcgt this past winter and with the simple rules of the x-pattern tires and taking boost out of the speedos and 17.5's the class started great. We then had a few suggest that we run 21.5 and open speedo's and my opinion was why? 17.5 without boost was perfect on our track and x-patterns were awesome and tire wear was very minimun if any over the coarse of the season. I guess what I am trying to say is what is wrong with just keeping the rules with the current tires and speedo rules. If everyone is running the same thing it all depends on driver skill and set up and no one then has any advantage and there will be no tire mojo and spending a ton of money on testing tires and inserts, all the things that we used to say was a pain before we went to foam tire racing. Be careful of what you wish for, this could also cause the decline of rcgt if you are not careful. Maybe everyone should just leave the class alone and stop trying to change the rules all of the time.
Not bashing just suggesting.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

There is no "No boost" rule in the current HPI RCGT rules.

I think some of the rules should be changed due to lipo weight, availability, cost, etc.. Again, depending on your track.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

The whole thing about testing tires and spending money doesn't make a ton of sense to me though, if some people are more well off or more willing to spend money finding the best tire combo for any given track i say more power to them.

Maybe we should make a rule that anyone who wins has to disclose their tire/insert setup..
Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrod
Be careful of what you wish for, this could also cause the decline of rcgt if you are not careful. Maybe everyone should just leave the class alone and stop trying to change the rules all of the time.
Not bashing just suggesting.
News flash -- since you clearly haven't read this thread, RCGT has already declined and this is the discussion as to why and how to fix it. Out here where we've been running RCGT for quite some time it has gone from the biggest, most popular on-road class to basically dead. The main reason was timing-advance ESCs, and the secondary reason was high wear of the X-Pattern tires on the outdoor asphalt tracks we typically run on.

Nobody is trying to change the rules "all the time". They have actually never been changed before in a major way since the class became mainstream.

Running 21.5 with open ESC would be pointless. Yes, it would slow things down, but everyone would still have to get the ESC of the minute to stay competitive. This was intended to be an inexpensive class.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

So anyway, here's the next big question!

Where will the new Tamiya FF03 fit in? A bunch of us are getting them, and it would be cool to run them with the RCGT cars. They may even be competitive under the complete same rules. If anything, perhaps a lower minimum weight for the FF cars...

BTW, I will be running mine on 24mm Tamiya slicks on 24mm spoked wheels to conform with TCS rules as I want to run it at the TCS Nationals in August.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default oo

OOoohh, dangit! Well maybe I'll have to retire the TC3 once more and get an FF03 to run in RCGT.. How many people in the club do you know that plan on getting them?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
News flash -- since you clearly haven't read this thread, RCGT has already declined and this is the discussion as to why and how to fix it. Out here where we've been running RCGT for quite some time it has gone from the biggest, most popular on-road class to basically dead. The main reason was timing-advance ESCs, and the secondary reason was high wear of the X-Pattern tires on the outdoor asphalt tracks we typically run on.

Nobody is trying to change the rules "all the time". They have actually never been changed before in a major way since the class became mainstream.

Running 21.5 with open ESC would be pointless. Yes, it would slow things down, but everyone would still have to get the ESC of the minute to stay competitive. This was intended to be an inexpensive class.
Like I said I am not bashing just suggesting. I was simply pointing out what was and is happenning in my area there really was no need to say "News flash -- since you clearly haven't read this thread," it has a negative tone to it.I really don't think that I deserved that, and with that being said I hope you guys can resolve your issues.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrod
Like I said I am not bashing just suggesting. I was simply pointing out what was and is happenning in my area there really was no need to say "News flash -- since you clearly haven't read this thread," it has a negative tone to it.I really don't think that I deserved that, and with that being said I hope you guys can resolve your issues.
I apologize for the tone. It's just that the questions you asked and the point you made have been gone over and over through this entire thread.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Maybe a recap is in order then? I've been following the messages and have kinda lost track of all the discussions...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ha... lots of flip flopping and scattergun direction.

As a positive, we had our first club race with the Cirtix 17.5 combo, and it was a resounding success. All the cars we equally matched, and not one gripe about a speedo... The cars were quick, but not too fast for newer racers, yet fast enough for seasoned racers to keep interest.

We have a nice mix of racing types in the class....

We will be tackling the tire issue at our track next. For the time being we are going to go open tire, whatever you like as long as it is Rubber and has a spoked rim... When we find a better overall solution, we will use it.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Maybe a recap is in order then? I've been following the messages and have kinda lost track of all the discussions...
Here ya go:

1. Bodies: Any GT type realistic 190-200mm. TC racing bodies not allowed (Ex: Stratus/Maxda 6, etc.)Lexan wings must be of proportionate size. Molded kit wings or aftermarket wings are highly suggested. Lexan wings not allowed in concours.

2. Motors/Esc's : 17.5 and 21.5 systems in accordance with ROAR Sportsman list and including Speed Passion Cirtix 17.5 and 21.5.

3. Batteries: Any Lipo battery up to a max. of 5000mah and 30c. Hard case packs are highly suggested.

4. Tires/Wheels: Any rubber treaded or slick tire and insert on a realistic wheel (no aerodish allowed). Club or race organizer may define whether treaded or slick tires will be the spec per race event or class.

5. Weight: Min. chassis weight to be 1475 grams.

Last edited by Evoracer; 06-20-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.