Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Oh..but we do Mon' Sewer !!
I see what you did there

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I raced the Cal Speedway event and as you know I have been a big fan of RCGT since it started. When I was excited and speaking about participating I was accused of trying to ruin the class even though the spirit of the class has nothing to do with ability.
I would so try and school you, or peel you when i got in your way!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RCGT Rule #1.
- No boost escs

1. Hebiki
2. HarryN
3. BigO
4. svines1972
5. Adam B. (not that you needed me to formally tell you)
6. trackdesigner71
7. Evoracer
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RCGT Rule #1
- No boost esc
1. Hebiki
2. HarryN
3. BigO
4. svines1972
5. Adam B. (not that you needed me to formally tell you)
6. trackdesigner71
7. Evoracer
8. RoyU
Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

- No boost esc
1. Hebiki
2. HarryN
3. BigO
4. svines1972
5. Adam B.
6. trackdesigner71
7. Evoracer
8. RoyU
9. Trdsupra
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

[QUOTE=trdsupra88;7535677]- No boost esc
1. Hebiki
2. HarryN
3. BigO
4. svines1972
5. Adam B.
6. trackdesigner71
7. Evoracer
8. RoyU
9. Trdsupra
10.Spider004
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

- No boost esc
1. Hebiki
2. HarryN
3. BigO
4. svines1972
5. Adam B.
6. trackdesigner71
7. Evoracer
8. RoyU
9. Trdsupra
10.Stonedgti

I really enjoyed the class when it lasted, then it just died off here in NorCal.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

The class is not dead. It just needs to get a shot of adrenaline in it. For starters, it needs leadership, stable rules, then it will be ready to go. I think if Mr. Palmer gets the Speed Passion GT series going, it will see a new and lasting life.

I am really liking his idea of the Blast Off tire/wheel combo for only $15 a SET of FOUR and the Citrix combo. This will be very inviting to new-comers all over the place since it will become quite affordable. But above all, will be pretty fair in my opinion.

My TA-05 IFS v.2 car is ready to go and ready to take on the scene. If not, it could pass for a TC car as well!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
The class is not dead. It just needs to get a shot of adrenaline in it. For starters, it needs leadership, stable rules, then it will be ready to go. I think if Mr. Palmer gets the Speed Passion GT series going, it will see a new and lasting life.

I am really liking his idea of the Blast Off tire/wheel combo for only $15 a SET of FOUR and the Citrix combo. This will be very inviting to new-comers all over the place since it will become quite affordable. But above all, will be pretty fair in my opinion.

My TA-05 IFS v.2 car is ready to go and ready to take on the scene. If not, it could pass for a TC car as well!
I totally agree. It's hard to talk guys into buying a brushless system for $150 but when you get brushless system, lipo, tires, and body for about that much it makes it a lot easier.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sadly, the Speed Passion program will not and cannot be the RCGT program as we know it. A few folks have mentioned already that RCGT is a trade name owned by HPI.
That being said, RCGT is already seeing benefits from the use of the Speed Passion electronics. I think it's a little premature to talk about a tire wheel combo that even Shawn doesn't have the details on.
1. Nobody has actually run a set. $15 is nice unless this compound offers no traction.
2. Unclear as to whether they're 24 or 26mm.
3. Unclear whether they're even available in multiple offsets.
4. Obviously availability may come into play since even SP USA doesn't have them.
5. Nice wheel and would make a good starter but if cost is the key....what happens if I want different rims ? I'm right back to the HPI wheels and tires.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stonedgti
- No boost esc
1. Hebiki
2. HarryN
3. BigO
4. svines1972
5. Adam B.
6. trackdesigner71
7. Evoracer
8. RoyU
9. Trdsupra
10.Stonedgti

I really enjoyed the class when it lasted, then it just died off here in NorCal.
11. Micro-E

Oh yeah, I forgot.....love the slick tires idea. Ran a GT Spec car today (RCGT style body and rims.) Ran it with a 17.5 Cirtix combo w/slicks. Best time I have had in while. IMHO, best compromise between scale looks and grip.

Too much fun, I am really looking forward to the (local) season opener in July!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Sadly, the Speed Passion program will not and cannot be the RCGT program as we know it. A few folks have mentioned already that RCGT is a trade name owned by HPI.
That being said, RCGT is already seeing benefits from the use of the Speed Passion electronics. I think it's a little premature to talk about a tire wheel combo that even Shawn doesn't have the details on.
1. Nobody has actually run a set. $15 is nice unless this compound offers no traction.
4. Obviously availability may come into play since even SP USA doesn't have them.
5. Nice wheel and would make a good starter but if cost is the key....what happens if I want different rims ? I'm right back to the HPI wheels and tires.
The name RCGT is taken. That is why Shawn is proposing SPEED PASSION GT, since RCGT is taken.

As far as the Blast Off wheel/tire combo, I am definitely interested in buying a set and trying it out and see what the pros and cons are. I will remain hopefully that the cons are much less than the pros.

As far as the availability, I am sure that won't be a problem if the Blast Off sets are decent for racing.

As far as the style of rims, again, that is up to the people. But I am sure Shawn can put something in the manufacturer's ears for different style rims. But then again, they already look very realistic. They look very similar to the Advan wheels. And to think people would have perfectly true (or at least very close to it) tires since they are pre-glued, it would be that much more appealing in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think before anyone jumps the gun, wait to see what Shawn proposes. Shawn is not a newbie in RC so i think when he decides to put something together, it will be something great. As far as Wheels, etc. i am sure that is not an issue as well. Just be patient.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Default Wheels & Tires

IMO, there are several reasons why the "GT" class should allow a minimum 24mm tire/wheel width.

1. Depending on the track, the go-to TC tire just plain works. No fussing. Happy people.

2. The suspension geometry is not messed up with zero offset 24mm. I can imagine many a newbie racer tricking out his new ride with cool 6-9mm offset 26mm wheels only to find out it doesnt handle as well as 0-3mm offset at the track. Busted wheels are a downer too.

3.Pro or "D" compound, belted or non belted, stock insert or molded insert....sounds like some trial and error for a newbie.

4. Looking to step up a class or run multiple classes? No sweat, you already got tires!

5. You can go trash can diving . Tires a sponsered driver would consider done would probably still work very well on a slower "GT" car, if it's on a spoked wheel of course. Great for budget racers.

This may seem like a shot at HPI/RCGT but I didn't intend it to be. This is just how I see it.

BTW, the Cirtix combo sounds awesome! Very appealing for anyone looking to get into the hobby.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Dino, why don't you just wait and see how the programs sort themselves out. In Florida, the local programs that I have been in contact with are going to the Cirtix system ( I talked to Superior,Adrenalin,Warrick /Coral Springs and of course MDI is already sold out of their first two orders...) The cost and benefits are so far on the positive, it is hard to ignore.

The tire situation is a real one, and I think is the biggest problem to overcome now that the power situation is being sorted out. I spoke with Shawn personally about the Blast off stuff, and have some on their way for testing. We discussed offsets and such, as well as availability, and SP is well aware of the issues that need to be addressed to be successful. IMHO, I do not care what tires we run, just as long as they are easy and cheap, which the HPI ones are neither.

I think at our club , we may open the tires up a bit.. and let the racers run the solaris premounts,HPI or the Blast off.... Not sure just yet, have to do some back to back testing. I know that a properly setup GT Car with the Right HPI tires has as much grip as a set of race slicks... As far as the tires are concerned... this is really the breakdown for me

HPI = Most scale looking, 3 choices of rubber, most expensive, and have to build them, your looking at 40 bucks between the tires, rim and glue.. Wear is all over the place, our track I can get months of running from a set, at other places.. One set a race day. But you CANNOT beat the SCALE look of these.. they are simply awesome....

Solaris Premount = not too scale at all, nice wheel, slick, so it can be run in the TC class too... Most places can be had for 25-30 buck premounted, they are long wearing for the most part

Blast off = Unknown at this point... Grip, Wear... just don't know.. but price cannot be beat roughly around 15 bucks... Taking a wait and see..

I will go on record as to how certain manufactures that helped us in the beginning of our program have abandoned us completely. This is where I think that SP and Shawn will step in and help to bring it to the next level.

I really could care less what the name of the class is, just as long as we keep the spirit. A 4WD Sedan with a GT body and non dish wheels ... That people can relate to, are fast, but not too fast for new people, and are inexpensive enough for people to throw it on the shelf.. to be used again some other time...RCGT,TCGT, SedanGT.. SP GT... Billy Bob's Super Awesome Treaded Tire GT... who cares...

Last edited by TimPotter; 06-14-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TYLORD
Will ESC's like the Tekin RS, XERun, etc still be allowed since these ESC's offer stock software where all timing advance, boost, etc can be turned off?
Simply put....No.
If the ESCs were all equal in speed, why wouldn't we allow multiple manufacturers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.