Search
Like Tree4Likes

Yokomo R12

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
miller tyme, did you get the 3 or the 3.1? Do you know what differs between the 2?
Teach, I got the 3.1, A-main had the 3.0 but I wanted the 3.1 which is why I went to tonisport, the 3 did away with the front shock in favor of damping tubes, but still had the rear side to side 'shock'. The 3.1 did away with the rear side to side shock and uses the same short dampners that the front does.

Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT
You are right, of course. I should of qualified my statement. Out of the box, with no electronics, the R12C3 is 25g heavier than a X-12/14 w/graphite axle.( And the Xray isn't exactly a light weight!) Ti turn buckles(all 5), and most screws got 10g off the Yok., and the side tubes are 5g lighter than running the shock. Need to find another 20g somewhere, and run a lightly painted body! (I got the Xray to min weight with the same electronics I have on this car)

I would like to know what electrics others are running to make min. weight. I am running; ORCA VX1, ORCA 6400mah, Sanwa SRG-HS, Sanwa RX-472, Killshot, all wires shortened, 16g motor and batt leads.
I'm running the ORCA VX1 and fan, ORCA TX motor ORCA 6800 batteries, KO reciever and KO RSX12 servo, Al turnbuckles (except camber they broke 1st day out ) Ti hardware on all 3mm, Pro-One axle, hubs and tires,
Old 12-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)

I like mine, its not difficult to set up once you figure it out. the car handles well, and is quick, but it is not on point in stock racing. The car is too heavy out of the box, with Ti screws, and the smallest servo, it is 40g over weight.

A smaller shock in next, other than that, dont know where to shave weight from, other than losing the independent front end and bell crank. Then it would be just another generic 12th scale.

I converted mine to the 3.1. With the small tubes, you need to run a significantly higher lube than most other tube designs to get the same feel.

I also found that the car handles best with the smallest possible tires, which is 41.5. The axle spacers do not go low enough to run any smaller and still maintain ride height.

Edward, what tires are you finding work well on the carpet? I have been running the Med/Hard front, and Soft rear in stock 13.5, and med/med in mod.
You need to pick up the 2.0mm bearing height adapters which allows you to run sub 41mm size tires while maintaining legal ride height.
http://www.teamyokomo.com/partslist/...ts_yf_20h.html
Old 12-07-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Last night I had the chance to race the 21.5 2s R12C3 Team Bomber on carpet for the first time. This was my third time racing at this track and was my first time with a Yokomo chassis. Previous races was with a Kyosho. I changed the side springs, and oils and asked around what tires to use. I ended up with Double Pinks on the front and Pinks on the rear.

As for tires, magenta front and rear work well.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swimbikerun
You need to pick up the 2.0mm bearing height adapters which allows you to run sub 41mm size tires while maintaining legal ride height.
http://www.teamyokomo.com/partslist/...ts_yf_20h.html

Thank you!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Last night I had the chance to race the 21.5 2s R12C3 Team Bomber on carpet for the first time. This was my third time racing at this track and was my first time with a Yokomo chassis. Previous races was with a Kyosho. I changed the side springs, and oils and asked around what tires to use. I ended up with Double Pinks on the front and Pinks on the rear.

As for tires, magenta front and rear work well.
Are you mounting your own rubber, or are the CRT tires rated different there? Or are the CRT tires not a good choice? (I have been using them for this season, so far, I do like them. good grip/wear characteristics)

What is the Min. weight limit in Japan?
Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Last night I had the chance to run the 21.5 2s R12C3 Team Bomber conversion on carpet for the first time. It was my third time racing at this track (http://www.kumin.ne.jp/k-sta/) and my first with the Yokomo chassis. My previous race experiences were with a Kyosho Plasma Ra, and lot of those times it didn't go so well... I blame my self for the lack of setup knowledge for it's handling woes.

The Yokomo R12C3 Team Bomber setup changed only slightly from my outdoor setup. I went from Yokomo Green to Black on the side springs, and went from a 0.18 to a 0.16 spring. Changed placed 3 shims under on top the steering block (more arm angle) to give more camber gain (more camber change). I then asked the local fast guys what they were using for tires and the hot ticket was Yokomo Double Pinks on the front and Pinks on the rear. I purchased the rubber and mounted them and gave them a try. One thing I learned quickly was not to sauce too heavy on the front, during testing (practice window was small 2 hours), so I had to act quickly to. I sauced close to half of the tire, went on to the track and it grip rolled... That wasn't smart. I settled with 1/4 on the front and it worked like a treat. Maybe, I'll adjust the front end in order to reduce the amount of camber change.

From my previous experiences at this track, I was quite surprised at how well it was handling. The car was stable, fast.. I just need to figure out how to improve the corner speed. The only thing lacking was in the motor department. Everyone at the track was running Team Powers Plutonium V1 motors with 13.0 rotors, and they were ridiculously fast! I was fast in the in field, but all that hard work was washed away when going down the long straightaway. I ended up borrowing a motor with a 14.0 rotor and improved the lap times, but the Team Powers Plutonium V1's were unstoppable.

Here's the track layout. http://ameblo.jp/t972113/image-11935...074045635.html

In Japan, you only get 2 qualifiers, which sucks! So, the little time I had for practice plus 2 qualifiers, made it difficult to improve my setup. Anyway, I had a great time and it's all about having fun and for me it's all about internationalizing. Q1 went well, but lacked in the motor department. Hence the slower lap times. In Q2, borrowed a motor and it was running really well, until... a collision with lapped traffic knocked off the front body pin, causing the front body to prop up.. Which affected the handling quite a bit, I just drove it best I could. Oddly enough, Q2 was my best qualifying result (because of the motor). I think I would of qualified higher in the A-main if I didn't have that body issues, sigh... That's racing, and that's why I love it.

So, I ended up qualifying 1st in the B-main and finished in that position. During the race, I pulled out a lead from 2nd place and decided not to risk getting into another fender bender with lapped traffic. I stayed back and let the 3 cars in front of me battle away, eventually I made my way past them and thankfully no collisions.

Here are the results.

http://www.myrcm.ch/myrcm/report/jp/18832/143870

Now, most of the guys in the A-main are factory sponsored drivers running on their home track, so it would of been a treat to be up and running with them in the A-main. But, I missed out by a few seconds. O well, next time.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 12-07-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, I am mounting my own tires. It was my first time using the Yokomo CRT double pink and pinks. The hot ticket for the Japan Nationals in the modified class was Yokomo CRT magenta tires, I think CRT magenta's front and rear would be a good choice for modified. I would work with them and maybe soak them longer. 1 hour rear and 30 minutes front, depending on grip level.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, I am mounting my own tires. It was my first time using the Yokomo CRT double pink and pinks. The hot ticket for the Japan Nationals in the modified class was Yokomo CRT magenta tires, I think CRT magenta's front and rear would be a good choice for modified. I would work with them and maybe soak them longer. 1 hour rear and 30 minutes front, depending on grip level.
Thanks Edward.

I did some digging, the best I could figure out was:
-CRT Med/Hard=? (purple or lilac???)
-CRT Med=double pink
-CRT Soft=magenta
-CRT S.Soft=pink

Then there is the CRT 'L' compounds, not sure what these are? Any Ideas?

I would like to try the new Blu/Green/D.Blu tires on this car, just need to find someone that sells the donuts!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Edward.

I did some digging, the best I could figure out was:
-CRT Med/Hard=? (purple or lilac???)
-CRT Med=double pink
-CRT Soft=magenta
-CRT S.Soft=pink

Then there is the CRT 'L' compounds, not sure what these are? Any Ideas?

I would like to try the new Blu/Green/D.Blu tires on this car, just need to find someone that sells the donuts!
Got it all wrong!!

It seems there are at least three different Yokomo/CRT tire families;
'L' rubber; comes in firm and medium front, and med.hard, and soft rear.
CRT 'S' rubber; pink, magenta, and d.pink
CRT rubber; super soft, soft, medium, medium/hard.

I am pretty sure one of these is the new blue family of tires that CRC are selling, but cannot figure it out. (not that it really matters, just curious is all)
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Xenon VSS Front & Team Prime Center Shock

I installed the Xenom VSS front end and Team Prime Center Shock on my R12C3.1 and ran into the following:

1. Xenon VSS Front End: Even with 3mm spacers on each lower arm (6mm total) the front track width only comes to 164mm wide when running on Yokomo rims. I can probably get another 2mm by shimming at the axles (1mm on each) with AE axles but this is no where the ~168mm that is needed for hi traction conditions. Am I missing something?

2. Team Prime Center Shock: I've already shorten the plastic ball stud connectors and I can't get below 66mm on the length. To get 1.5mm droop I'll need 64.5mm shock length. I assume most folks are running limiters internally on the shock?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by swimbikerun; 01-12-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by swimbikerun
I installed the Xenom VSS front end and Team Prime Center Shock on my R12C3.1 and ran into the following:

1. Xenon VSS Front End: Even with 3mm spacers on each lower arm (6mm total) the front track width only comes to 163mm wide when running on Yokomo rims. I can probably get another 1mm by shimming at the axles with AE axles but this is no where the ~166-168mm that is needed for hi traction conditions. Am I missing something?

2. Team Prime Center Shock: I've already shorten the plastic ball stud connectors and I can't get below 66mm on the length. To get 1.5mm droop I'll need 64.5mm shock length. I assume most folks are running limiters internally on the shock?

Thanks in advance.
1. Hummmm strange. You're running the Xenon lower arms? I'm running the Team Associatd lower arms with 1.0 mm axle shims. Maybe, just maybe the arms are a different length. How are you measuring the front width? Ruler? Calipers?

2. You'll have to add internal spacers to achieve a shorter length.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

1. Hummmm strange. You're running the Xenon lower arms? I'm running the Team Associatd lower arms with 1.0 mm axle shims. Maybe, just maybe the arms are a different length. How are you measuring the front width? Ruler? Calipers?

2. You'll have to add internal spacers to achieve a shorter length.
Thanks for confirming, I'm running the Xenon arms. I got the front width to 166mm with 3mm at the arms and 1mm at the axle. Would like to know if anyone was able to go wider without adding more shims to the lower arms.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

You can probably run 4 mm on each side. You'll have to be aware that when you lengthen the lower arm the camber gain will be reduced. This is dependent on wether or not your running shims between the castor block. If you run 4 mm, take any shims out from between the bulkhead and castor block. Test.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

Got it all wrong!!

It seems there are at least three different Yokomo/CRT tire families;
'L' rubber; comes in firm and medium front, and med.hard, and soft rear.
CRT 'S' rubber; pink, magenta, and d.pink
CRT rubber; super soft, soft, medium, medium/hard.

I am pretty sure one of these is the new blue family of tires that CRC are selling, but cannot figure it out. (not that it really matters, just curious is all)
CRT Foam is simialr to JFT 'A' Foam. It is like the standard pink/magenta family of rubber and is available in s.soft (soft pink), soft (pink), medium (2x pink) and med.hard (lilac). There isn't really a magenta compound of this stuff since the soft fronts are way softer than other brand magentas, and the medium fronts are too hard. Yokomo sent me some 32 shore CRT foam donuts to mount myself, and these are pretty much like a normal magenta tyre.

CRT 'S' Foam is the same as JFT 'C'. It seems to be good in low grip and is more of a powdery type of foam (like CRC blue/green?). They do this in pink, magenta and 2x pink compounds. A lot of us often use the 'S' 2x pink rears with either a normal CRT Soft, Medium or an 'S' 2x pink or magenta front. The softer pink and magenta 'S' compounds have quite a high wear rate.

I've not had or used any 'L' rubber, but I could be right in saying that it's actually the same as the normal CRT tyres and was what was used before being re-branded as 'CRT'. Don't quote me on that though.

Typically speaking the Yokomo car runs well on soft tyres. The best setups seem to use really soft side springs (yokomo green or purple), soft front springs and really light damping. The Japs like the ultra soft front springs, but I tend to use the kit softs or mediums (silver) as this seems better suited to UK tracks. Tyres wise, in medium to high grip I will typically use CRT s.soft or soft rears and soft (or my CRT-32) fronts. I have some CRT 'S' 2x pink foam that I often find works well for low grip club racing.

It's probably useful to note that most of the racing I do is with what you guys would call 'fast' motors. I run in 10.5 blinky for stock and open speedo modified in the UK. We have a 13.5 class but most of the fast guys choose the 10.5 class on 'stock day' at our nationals. 13.5 was introduced last year and has gained a good following. We tried 17.5 a couple of years ago but takeup was very poor because it was literally like watching paint dry - even the lower level drivers found it too boring!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

You can probably run 4 mm on each side. You'll have to be aware that when you lengthen the lower arm the camber gain will be reduced. This is dependent on wether or not your running shims between the castor block. If you run 4 mm, take any shims out from between the bulkhead and castor block. Test.
Thanks, I'll see what happens at the track on Sunday. One last thing I noticed is that the Xenon front end lengthens the wheelbase a few more mm. Didn't realize this until I mounted the body on. I'm guessing this mellows the car out some more especially when you run the +3mm on the TB rear pod.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo R12-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.