Wiki Posts
Search

Gear Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Gear Mesh

do you set gear mesh the same way on all cars or is there a difference between them?

i have a Yoke SD SSG and i don't wanna ruin my spur gear; i'm pretty green at this so any and all help is appreciated.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

whats the problem you face? how much slack there is between the pinion and the spur gear?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if u are new to gear mesh .. give this a try.. someone told me about this years ago...

take a thin pice of tissue or kleenex.. put it in between the spur and pinion.. push the gear tight to the spur,, but dont jam it tight,. just push it to it.. tighten the motor up,... then rol the gear and take out the kleenex... the gap it leaves should be right on

u will also find some spur gears are not perfectly round... so u may need to adjust it a little more...

basically u should be able to rock the spur back and forth and feel slight play in the mesh... i only run 64 pitch gears.. on sedans a cars.. it has been years since i wrecked a gear from mesh...as long as u get it right.. and keep the gear clean...
Old 05-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by burbs
if u are new to gear mesh .. give this a try.. someone told me about this years ago...

take a thin pice of tissue or kleenex.. put it in between the spur and pinion.. push the gear tight to the spur,, but dont jam it tight,. just push it to it.. tighten the motor up,... then rol the gear and take out the kleenex... the gap it leaves should be right on

u will also find some spur gears are not perfectly round... so u may need to adjust it a little more...

basically u should be able to rock the spur back and forth and feel slight play in the mesh... i only run 64 pitch gears.. on sedans a cars.. it has been years since i wrecked a gear from mesh...as long as u get it right.. and keep the gear clean...
That kleenix trick works for 48pitch though right? For 64 im guessing must be even thinner...
Old 05-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

with 64 pitch i used a very thin piece of plasitc, like the plasitc seals on the gatoraide bottles with the twisty tops. it seems to work ok i guess, but i gave up on it since i check my mess by wiggling the gear to see if it has just a lil bit of play

lata lazy
Old 05-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

thats what i do, Move the Spur see how much play it has.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by True R/C Racing
yea it relitivly easy once u get the hang of it also. but as far as that new hpi car i got the motor mount is weird to me since i have been drivin a losi for the past year and a half lol

lazy
Old 05-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by True R/C Racing

yeah i got the picture and it works pretty well. but also i can see how my spur and pinion mesh since i just built the car; and i just thought of something- the teeth of both makes a V inside of a V, so you want the V of the pinion 'halfway inside' the V of the spur. this way you get the 'play' that you want without the 'slop' that would tear the spur teeth up.

did that all make sense, cause my head is hurting- i'm going to take a tylenol
Old 05-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JayBee

did that all make sense, cause my head is hurting- i'm going to take a tylenol
uhh, ....yea
Old 05-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Initiate

all you need to do is allow a little bit of play betwwen gears.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Here is another method. Set a tight mesh using a pinion that is one tooth higher than the one you intend to use. After that remove that pinion and swap it with the one that is one tooth lower and the mesh should be perfect.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RcMonk
Here is another method. Set a tight mesh using a pinion that is one tooth higher than the one you intend to use. After that remove that pinion and swap it with the one that is one tooth lower and the mesh should be perfect.
Only works with 64p gears, I tried that.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by AzNDRAGster
Only works with 64p gears, I tried that.
i thought something didn't seem right with that method; sounded way too variable to me. thanks anyway, i think i'll stick with my method.