Wiki Posts
Search

8 guage wire and deans

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 8 guage wire and deans

I just got a turnigy 5200mah 30c pack, and it comes with those fat 8 guage wires with 5.5mm bullet connectors. id rather not have to buy and then wait for the bullet connectors in the mail.

Would it be ok to solder the 8 guage wire head to head with the smaller size wire to use the deans plug that is soldered onto it already, or is it really not that hard to solder the 8 guage wire on the deans.

On the side,, is their anything i shudnt lay the lipo on or a common mistake to look out for? Ive read and know the major things on the lipos.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKL1031
I just got a turnigy 5200mah 30c pack, and it comes with those fat 8 guage wires with 5.5mm bullet connectors. id rather not have to buy and then wait for the bullet connectors in the mail.

Would it be ok to solder the 8 guage wire head to head with the smaller size wire to use the deans plug that is soldered onto it already, or is it really not that hard to solder the 8 guage wire on the deans.

On the side,, is their anything i shudnt lay the lipo on or a common mistake to look out for? Ive read and know the major things on the lipos.
I own two of these battery,and love them for bashing, my drift car, and practice... It was a BITCH to solder the first one. Then I read a tip somewhere that made the second one go MUCH easier.

Start by stripping a very small (7-8mm) piece of insulation (ONE AT A TIME!). Then completely thoroughly saturate the exposed tip with solder (all the way through) Until you have a thick ball of solder and wire exposed Then take a dremmel with a cutting blade and cut a slot in the ball of solder at the tip. Clamp the deans plug in place with the correct tab in the middle of the slot you just cut out. Now simply melt the wire onto the tab from both sides. This creates a STRONG, clean and powerful connection.

I have to say for the price, these packs are hard to beat.... I almost felt bad until I noticed my reedy pack is made in china too...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

niiice
Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Another observation, the wire on the speed controller is 14 guage, so trimming a few wires from the battery could be an option. Im not gona get any benefit from the 8 guage wire as long as i have the 14 there right?

Last edited by JKL1031; 06-06-2010 at 01:29 PM.