R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   want to start electric (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/405212-want-start-electric.html)

ugglasdav 06-04-2010 11:32 AM

want to start electric

hey guys just wanted to ask a few questions. i am at the moment doing nitro 1/10 and looking to do 1/10 electric. i am looking for a bit of information on what chassis , ESC, and motors to get, i will be looking for a competive chassis, i know Marc Rheinard runs Tamiya but i dont know what Model he is using. i know nothing about electric cars so if anyone has any suggestions on what to get plz feel free to reply thanks

Foxxrocket 06-04-2010 11:49 AM

Are you looking into touring cars?

ugglasdav 06-04-2010 12:09 PM

yes 190mm i will be racing on carpet.

M03Racer 06-04-2010 12:25 PM

What class do they run. Front drive, all-wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Also check what the guys at the track are running and ask them if they get the parts easily and its better to get something your LHS supports. If you get something off the net and you don't have access to parts fast you are out of luck my friend. I learned this the hard way. Do your research before you jump the gun.

ugglasdav 06-04-2010 01:14 PM

we will be running all wheel drive

M03Racer 06-04-2010 01:24 PM

A good beginner chassis is a Tamiya TT-01. Its a shaft driven 4WD chassis (now this is open to debates on what people like I for instance like the shaft driven cars versus the belt driven cars because less maintenance now other guys might disagree with me, remember this is only my opinion) this chassis is not to expensive and has tons of hop up parts available. Now for motors and ESC you have to know what kind is allowed (how many turn motors are allowed) if they run brushed or brushless.

locked 06-04-2010 01:29 PM

Marc Rheinard drives a TRF416, not sure what version though WE or X, etc.

There are several other competitive TC chassis...

Hot Bodies Cyclone TC (soon to be TCX)
T.O.P. Photon
XRAY T3
Yokomo BD-5
Corally RDX PHI
several others...

For a motor, I would highly recommend BOSS RC Motorsports tuned Speed Passion v 3.0 motors. Wicked fast with low temps.

There are several advance timing ESCs that are very good for stock classes unless your track doesn't allow them. Everyone seems to have their favorite. Personally, I have a Tekin RS Pro.

ugglasdav 06-04-2010 02:40 PM

well i only rules i know off are you have to run a 10.5t motor, also i am looking for gear than is not to expensive. just want something competitive and of good quality

Rick Hohwart 06-04-2010 04:56 PM

You are going to want to look at the Team Associated TC5. The car is competitive, reasonably priced new, parts are economically priced and they are readily available. Setups are readily available as is help from team drivers.

LRP and Tekin seem to lead the pack as far as ESCs go. 10.5 is a dying class so I am not what is good. I do know that there are many motors that are competitive.

Foxxrocket 06-05-2010 02:29 AM

The Corally RDX PHI is a good carpet chassis. It's expensive, but you'll be getting a quality car. The Associated TC5F is cheaper. Though not quite the quality you'de get in the RDX, but it's just as good in the right hands. Parts are a lot cheaper.

Nilks 06-05-2010 03:23 AM

If you wan't quality products, you might want to take a look at the 2 big names in TC: Xray and Tamiya. They are expensive, but worth it.

Xray just launched their cheaper version of the T3 car, called the T3R. That might be interesting in your case.