Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Anyone tested the new o-rings? Any better

Cheers,

Antoni
Old 08-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tellan
Malc
hope things are going good for you after your news. But all this hassle with TCs .Go out and buy a 1/12th car.
You get more track time 8 mins instead of 5 and save your self a bundle of dosh.
And mess around with truing tyres, I don't think so lol

Malc
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
Anyone tested the new o-rings? Any better

Cheers,

Antoni

I've put a few runs on them and there was still a leak. This was with 1000 cst. in the rear.
I've gone back to a spool and diff. just to get a comparison.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

my initial slop, after two race days, has stayed at that point and has not increased after 4 more race days in mod

Not sure what kind of a business model makes parts for discontinued products.......
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hurrle
Does the Sakura diff fit Xray T3?
I want to know the same, the price of the 3racing gear diff is lower than any other.

On 3racing blog says:

Gear Differential 37T and 38T are workable with 3.5 T to 4.5T modified motors, it fits all car models if some right adjustments of the chassis are made.
Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I put my diff together on Frinday night, raced a full day Sunday and had zero issues! The diff makes a nice difference on the track. Corner speed was up and kept very consistent through the day.

I built the diff as per instrcutions with Associated 1000 oil. VERY little leak at first, but it stopped.

Over all I'm happy and glad I bought one.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Spec-R Gear Diff Testing

Morning All,

A Ball Diff can be tested by holding a wheel (and/or the spur) to feel how "tight/loose/smooth" it is, but can anybody tell me a way of testing the Spec-R Gear Diff without actually running it?

Ben
Old 08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by auzzy_mate
Morning All,

A Ball Diff can be tested by holding a wheel (and/or the spur) to feel how "tight/loose/smooth" it is, but can anybody tell me a way of testing the Spec-R Gear Diff without actually running it?

Ben
What are you trying to test?

If you hold the spur and one wheel, if you try turning the other wheel it should move only the small amount to take up the slack though.

It should feel pretty smooth if you hold the spur and just turn one of the wheels.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Spec-R Gear Diff build

Morning All,

I built and fitted a new Spec-R Gear Diff last night and took a few photos along the way. I thought I would post them here just to let new/interested users have a look at what a build is like.

Feel free to add comments/tips .

Ben
Attached Thumbnails Spec-R Gear diff review-10.jpg   Spec-R Gear diff review-11.jpg   Spec-R Gear diff review-12.jpg   Spec-R Gear diff review-13.jpg   Spec-R Gear diff review-14.jpg  

Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by auzzy_mate
Morning All,

I built and fitted a new Spec-R Gear Diff last night and took a few photos along the way. I thought I would post them here just to let new/interested users have a look at what a build is like.

Feel free to add comments/tips .

Ben
I would add that using some thick grease, like Schumachers around the inside of the hole for the outdrive, then pushing the outdrive through the grease etc into position helps creates a better oil seal.
I also greased the O-ring before putting that into position.

Pictures are good, but too small.

Skiddins
Old 08-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default FG sticky grease

Right, don’t shoot me down and probably wouldn’t be right for a top racer,
But for a club racer have you tried FG sticky grease FG06512.
I now use it in Tamiya mini gear diff but also use it in spec-r diff fitted in X-ray T3.
It helps stop the wheel spin out so much when it lifts in corners,
gives less free play in the diff and dose not leak out. Also because the gears do not spin so much makes it last longer.
I’m not a top Touring car racer but not had to rebuild the r-spec diff since I’ve had it.
Might not be the right way for top racers but for a club racers works great.
I got a spec-r diff because wanted something which stayed smooth and could put in car and forget,
unlike ball diff which after a few races needed a rebuild.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Guys, I build and tested the 3Racing gear diff today. Package wise 3Racing is better, it includes everything you need for operation (37t and 38t pulleys, bigger internal shims for the outdrives, metal cross shafts, 3.5mm drive shafts blades, Silicone Oil: I don't know the viscosity coz there is no label or info on the bottle, RUBBER GASKET which is good compare to the paper one from Spec R, 2x diff bearings and some various thickness bearing spacers to make the diff fit to some car models)

During building I felt that the casing around the outdrives are a bit tight, so I put some grease on the out drive shafts and this helps smooths it out a bit. After a few runs testing it today the diff is smooth like butter. And the best part for me over the Spec R is there is NO LEAK at all. Overall I m very happy.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

After running the spec r gear diff for a few races and experience failure too, building the 3racing gear diff brings my confidence back... The overall quality of the item are at least double the spec r standard, well at least the shims are double the size while it's not only one piece, but two pcs required on both ends while the rubber gasket is recyclable and most importantly it's cheaper by a third of spec r!

I just can't wait to try it on the track. Any1 has done it and how's the reliability of the 3racing gear diff?

Thanks

P/s: I'm running a TRF 416 FX (Smokem chassis) and I believe it should fit the X Ray T3 chassis as well.... Cheerios
Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jag88
I've put a few runs on them and there was still a leak. This was with 1000 cst. in the rear.
I've gone back to a spool and diff. just to get a comparison.
I for one am not really impressed by it. On high grip carpet tracks it was pretty good, but when the track is low grip the car want to keep on turning slightly, particularly on power. Its just a pain in the

I've tried 150cst to 2000cst and I have yet to see anything over a really well set xray ball diff with associated grease. It seems the ball diff has a bit more slack when you put the power down. Almost like it has a small amount of slip even when there isn't. I was immediately quicker when I put the ball diff back last week on a low grip carpet layout.

Dont get me wrong, it works ok, but I find theres more downsides to the Spec-r diff than originally thought. When using thin oil the thing leaks a lot and when I thicken the oil it has poor performance so I cannot win with it. Tried more gaskets etc, differnt o-rings, still no joy. I can see it working outdoors, but indoors its not doing the job I want it to do. As for maintenance free........................
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 AM
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

would be good if the gear diff had an adjustable slipper to it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.