Wiki Posts
Search

Is Tamiya going to fast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Is Tamiya going to fast?

Let me tell you this first I love Tamiya, but is Tamiya just comming out with cars to fast and is thier pricing going to bite them in the long run? Hands down Tamiya makes some of the best kits on the market but they price themslef out of racers hands, some guys like me can afford their kits but when I am at the track It is only us BMW driving racers that own their cars(At my Track!). Plus with the intro duction of the TB EVO4 can we really keep up? and it will tip the pricing scales at over 400.00 bucks. Tell me what you think, like I said I love Tamiya but are they getting greedy or just trying to make the best car on the market
Old 05-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Evo line of cars has always been marketed as a one-upgrade-a-year chassis. Last year was odd that they did the SL, but other than that the Evo series is just that, an Evolution. Next year there will be the Evo 5, and the Evo 6 the year after that. I am hopeful that with the comitment by Tamiya to the Evo 3/TB02 platform it will be easy to convert an Evo 3 to an Evo 4, but I kinda doubt it at the same time.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

I understand the concept but how will racers keep up with this.
and as a racer that would like to see racers have more choices in cars other that Losi and Assc. How can tamiya keep up.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i 'mostly' agree with gijoe. i've had my tc3 for a couple years now, and am ready to make the jump to a new platform just for the sake of trying something new. i don't think 400 on it's own is that much of a limiting factor (i mean, how many tmaxxs are out there!?), but when you start to add in the hundreds and hundreds of dollars in spares for things like diffs and bodies, then figure you need to replace that in 10-12 months, it definately becomes an issue for many people.

i had a chance to look at a 415(?) last weekend up close for the first time, and it was VERY nice. if i knew there was a reasonable (ie 2+ year) product life for that model, i'd seriuosly consider buying one.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default compatibility of parts

lets not forget that a lot of the parts are compatible with tamiya cars like the shocks and a-arms.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

the TB Evo and TRF lines are not the same, they market different racers (supposedly...) : one is for belt and the other for shaft.

Thus, you're not supposed to move to every new tamiya car...
Old 05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I think it is important when comparing prices of the kits too look at what is included in the base kit. Whith the evo 3 or 415 series cars at aroung a $350-380 street price it may seem high when compared to a $275.- losi or $300.- tc3 but to make a true comparison you need to compare the cars in their real world racing configuration not just their base kit form. For example I personaly drive a Losi and ran an tc3 in the past both of these kits require addtional items that are not included:

For the Losi you have to take the base kit of $275. then add $60.- for the 1-way, $25.- for the new belt kit, and $25.- for front and rear sway bar kits, plus the normal tuning parts of springs, spindals, and rear hubs. for a grand total of $385.- + misc tuning items. ** add $45 for a lightweight screw kit **

For the TC3 you are looking at $300.- plus $60.- for the 1-way, $10 for extra rear tower, $25 for the updated suspension arms, and $10 for the updated bevel gears. Total = $405.- + midc tuing items. *lightwegiht aluminum screws included **

Evo 3 Surikan / TRF415 $350-380.- all required items included. (titanium screws included.)

When you look at the car prices this way they are all about the same cost, they only differ in how they add up to it.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Cobra81li200
the TB Evo and TRF lines are not the same, they market different racers (supposedly...) : one is for belt and the other for shaft.

Thus, you're not supposed to move to every new tamiya car...
The problem is some people do move to a new car every year. I could , but don't you think their cars should be on the market more than one year than discontinued? I would like to see the EVO3 still on the market. Don't you think that this dicourages buyers?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think people just need a little self control. If Tamiya made 12 cars this year it doesn't mean you have to go out there and buy 12 all new Tamiya cars. Tamiya is making 2 new racers this year- pick one!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Re:415 furute compatibility

As far as line of compatibility from the release of the 04 to the lastest 415 all the arms, c-hub, rear upright and knuckle all have been cross platform parts. There have been chassis changes but all of them have been to the advantage of a faster more stable car.

Not having seen the new Evo 4 noone can comment on compatibility but I would bet there is going to be similarity in the parts. From the spy shots we have seen the arms have more shock positions past that the rest looks to be specific to the chassis.

Re:Tamiya moving to fast

Racing evolves any of the top chassis have changed quite a bit is the last 3-4 years. Even the old dog TC3 has had upgrades both Factory and what the team drivers do. Do you have to have the newest car for a club race no! Do you want the newest car for your club race, of course you do. The 414 at the club level is still a popular car. Would it win at the World level now 2 years later I highly doubt it.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MikeR
I think people just need a little self control. If Tamiya made 12 cars this year it doesn't mean you have to go out there and buy 12 all new Tamiya cars. Tamiya is making 2 new racers this year- pick one!
Your right, but next year their will be a new car. I still have my 414M it runs great, my EVo3S sitll winning you all are all right, but when I bought my EVO3S I still dumped money into it, I could never sell my car it cost me to much. I would like to see a more consistant Tamiya, winning is not done by the latest car but by how much work you put into your hobby.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

From my understanding, TECH Racing is responsible for design work on the belt car(ie. the 415). Where as Tamiya design work is done on the TB series(ie. EVOIII/IV)...

That is why Tamiya can come out with two top performance cars within a small window of time.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

I think people should really think differently. The 415 is a replacement for the 414 series (which latest release, the WCR, was 1 1/2 yr old, release around september 2002 in japan If I remind correctly), not for the TB.

Diffuser : the TC3 still wins races at World level (Reedy race of asia ?), so why would the 414 not win races at World level against TC3s just like in 2002 ?

gijoe : that's why I wrote "(supposedly...)" in my post... What people are supposed to do according to a company and what they really do is always different.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by mtveten

For the Losi you have to take the base kit of $275. then add $60.- for the 1-way, $25.- for the new belt kit, and $25.- for front and rear sway bar kits, plus the normal tuning parts of springs, spindals, and rear hubs. for a grand total of $385.- + misc tuning items. ** add $45 for a lightweight screw kit **

For the TC3 you are looking at $300.- plus $60.- for the 1-way, $10 for extra rear tower, $25 for the updated suspension arms, and $10 for the updated bevel gears. Total = $405.- + midc tuing items. *lightwegiht aluminum screws included **

Evo 3 Surikan / TRF415 $350-380.- all required items included. (titanium screws included.)
Evo 3 Surikarn + BALL DIFF BUDDY! Not all track/motor's are condition specially for one-ways...DRIVER/SURFACE PREFERANCE.....Theres a reason why when Pros run Mod/Foam they don't use oneways

You can upgrade an Evo 3 with Square Alluminum diff cases & 3-piece prop shaft & get a car almost like the Evo4
Old 05-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Cost seems to be a large issue with Tamiya. I would rather buy a car that has every hopup,but even the car that is totaly outfitted you will still drop cash on that car for better hopups. We all fall victim to the pretty car syndrom, I am probley the bigest affender.
The car that is catching my attention is the HPI PRO4 great price and ausome performance.
but I have to stick with my T-rides

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.