MVP Tuning

Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default MVP Tuning

Does anyone have any good tuning tips for the reedy MVP? I do not have much experiance with it and I dont know many people who do, but I would like some tips on tuning one. I was told you would be able to find information on tuning one on big jims site. But I had trouble finding information.

Also, currently with my monster stock Im gearing at an 8.14, how many teeth up would you gear for the MVP? I'm just looking for a starting point. Thanks
Old 06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

I always used reedy 767's and red springs. Gearing them is easy, just keep adding teeth till it dumps. The mvp has tons of torque, I'd start at 7.4 or so
Old 06-09-2004, 11:30 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Claydoh you must be rracing a small track
Old 06-09-2004, 11:32 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I don't think the MVP have a ton of torque maybe ton of RPM
Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ya i had tons of rpm on my reedy mvp. Do you need to add a diode?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

You can find tuning tips for the MVP (as well as other motors in general) on Big Jim's forum on rccars.com. His setup does create a very torquey motor which I like for offroad or a small, tight on-road track. I believe he recommends gearing about 1-2T smaller than you would a P2K.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have been looking around for MVP tuning tips on his site. But I have been having trouble finding many. I read about 10 pages f the Motor Tuning Setups forum. Heres the tips I found I might try:

-cut down the leading edges on the brushes (Im pretty sure the "leading edge" on a brush is the top of the brush on one side and the bottom of the brush on the other. is that right?)

-drill a 5/64" hole in the brushes

-767 + brush/ 766 - brush or 766's all around?

I couldnt find much on springs for it, so I will probably start out with a red/green combo. Thanks for any more help.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Big Jim's basic MVP setup is/was 767+/766- with brushes narrowed to or narrowed by 0.140". I can't remember which but basically cut on the leading and trailing edge until the brush is about the width of a standup brush. Red and green springs or if you have Sonic Fiddle Stick it would be 6.5FS+ and 6.0FS- where FS stands for fiddle stick units of measurement. Other then that, it's all the other basic stuff like aligning brushhoods, polishing the armature shaft and bushings and shimming to the center of the magnetic field. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

according to the associated guys at the last associated race i was at.. use a full face 767, with purple springs...

these motors look ok up front, but they seem to fall off at the last minute.. mostly i think due to the lack of cooling holes in the can...
Old 06-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When you look at the brush, the leading edge is the edge of the brush that the armature rotates into. So when you trim the leading edge you are kinda decreasing timing. When you trim the trailing edge, you are increasing timing a tad.

When you trim a bit off both the leading and trailing edge of the brush you will effectivly reduce the amount of overlap on the com and the amount of rpm. The benefit of this is you get more torque, better effceincy, and cooler running temps. This allows to to gear a bit taller.

The MVP is very similar to the Orion Core stock or the Peak Hellfire Stock. They have almost identical armatures, but a different can from the MVP. They all run hot, but most of my fast stock motors run a little warm anyways from gearing them to the moon. Hope this helps ya out dude. Shoot me an email if you have any more questions.

-Sushi Boy
Old 06-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

When I ran the Mvp it never had rpm, basically gear the snot out of it and go from there.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDXray
ya i had tons of rpm on my reedy mvp. Do you need to add a diode?
yep, tons of rpm, using reedy serrated 767s and a hole in the center.

i think caps are what you need, although i may be wrong. i use a keyence so i dont use a schotky diiode.

hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I ran the MVP in both its stock and Big Jim form. With the stock form, it was really RPM-ish. I ran some like this at RC-Madness which is a tight indoor track and it was really needing more torque.

When I did run my Big Jim MVP, once I found the sweet spot for gearing the motor really ripped. I lent it to a guy running 1/12 scale and he was keeping up with the guys running Monster Stocks and Binaries, even though it would probably be better to run the MVP in the standard form for this kind of racing.

The main thing that is really nice about the MVP is the quality of the magnets, they last a long time at those high temperatures compared to the trinity motors.

I just wish you didn't have to use narrow brushes. since I am not good at doing that, have to buy them and they usually go for $4 a set. I can get standard 767s for less than two.

But its a good motor if you don't mind fiddling with the gearing to get it just right. 64pitch gears are a bonus here.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default MVP

MAN I wish i could help u out i started runnin mvps when i first started racin.an i had my tuned very well it got hot but it was fast as helllllllllllllll. srry man cyz
Old 06-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mvp

do you think the mvp is going to be the hand out motor and nats in portland??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.