R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The last melted diff that I worked on I was able to salvage the bevel gear, diff balls, thrust "bearing" and diff screw. I simply bought another set of plastic outdrives and a diff rebuild kit which was less that $15.

Here are links on AE's website for the instructions on how to build a TC3/TC4 diff.

Plastic Diff instructions (molded outdrives) - (http://aedownloads.com/downloads/ins..._outdrives.PDF)

Steel Diff instructions (http://aedownloads.com/pdf/3918_inst.pdf)

A few more ideas.
- You can use the TC4 steel diffs in the TC3 without any issue.
- If you decide you want to run a spool, you can use the TC5 slipper spool pads (in place of diff rings/balls) and create your own spool.
- And finally, you can order some of the hard to find parts for the TC3/TC4 directly from AE's website. They have comparable pricing to websites such as Tower Hobbies.
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

Oasis is right, a steel outdrive won't solve your problem and running a spool in the rear gives you bad handling. I would get a new ring gear, put in the spring and go from there.
Threg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you want a spool put it in the front. If you put the front diff in the rear, I would suggest rebuilding it first or at least clean and use new grease. Adjust the diff per the AE TC3 owners manual or as previously described.

Running a loose diff allows a lot of slippage that generates heat. Similar to running a nitro motor too lean this damage is caused by improper adjustment, not a poor design. Taking the diff apart on a used car is one of the first things I do when purchasing from someone I do not know.

Some people run a diff until it feels gritty. I prefer to take them apart for maintenance before they need to be rebuilt.

Fortunately, this learning experience will cost you less than $20. We all had to learn about diff maintenance one way or another.
Slow is fast.
rced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by buddyantunez1 View Post
found the problem after taking it apart yet again. The ring gear in the diff spins freely apart from the diff itself. Theres some melted plastic around it too. I'm not crazy about how they assemble the diffs, but ill try to find an assembled one, or look for the bulletproof ones. Any suggestions on where to look?

The car is not really designed for 3S operation.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

thanks for the advice guys. im planning on getting a stock, new diff and doing the proper adjustments it was supposed to have, although it didn't when i got it. Hopefully it can handle my abuse on 3S lipo's for a while, and ill try to go easy on it when not on the drift setup. for $17 shipped, i cant refuse an OEM diff kit, so ill continue to have them until i feel the need to step it up to another platform.
buddyantunez1 is offline   Reply With Quote