R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   v2 orion motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/40028-v2-orion-motor.html)

rice 05-06-2004 05:00 PM

v2 orion motor

they are many kinds of v2 motor of there. guys can you help me choose which one suits well? im running mod. class touring, cement surface. other guys telling that v2 is good and that version of v2 runs well.

i'd like to hear your said about the motor.:)

thanks

CraigH 05-06-2004 05:55 PM

I have 10x1 Hara edition. Its fast but I think the next one I get will be the regular touring edition. I had a KR 10x2 and it seems to have more torque compared to the Hara. But the Hara wounds out faster. What class do you race?

rice 05-06-2004 07:04 PM

CraigH,

im runnning mod class. for you which one is better v2 modified motor "blue endbell" or hara edition in terms of torque and rpm.?

Rowdy 05-06-2004 08:11 PM

Modified version ( blue endbell) has considerably more bottom to mid range torque than the touring version (black endbell). Touring version is a higher rpm motor.
Hara edition is the same as touring version except with sprint brushes and possibly different springs. I don't think it has any "special winds" like some company's used to produce.

Hardriven RC 05-07-2004 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Rowdy
Modified version ( blue endbell) has considerably more bottom to mid range torque than the touring version (black endbell). Touring version is a higher rpm motor.
Hara edition is the same as touring version except with sprint brushes and possibly different springs. I don't think it has any "special winds" like some company's used to produce.

The Hara version has a different winding. I think the thikness of the wires that are used is different

Regards

Jon Kerr 05-07-2004 12:57 PM

I spoke with one of Orion's guys at the Tamiya track a few weeks ago about the different motors. According to him, there are some differences, however, 99.99% of all drivers, expert level or not, would not notice a major difference in them given they are the same wind, brushes, and spring combos. Now he also said that biggest reason for the different series motors are some offer a few winds that the others don't.

Cobra81li200 05-07-2004 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Rowdy

Hara, Steenari and Surikarn uses a armature with a "twisted" comm. It gives much more RPM, but the motor has less torque. This motor is only suited for tight indoors tracks, where it should be geared about 5 teeth lower than an usual motor with the same winds (between 9.5 and 7.2). It's not suited for long tracks because it gets really warm and will have the cables getting unsoldered.

The touring has more RPM than the "modified" as you said, and they usually needs to be geared down 2 or 3 teeth lower than usual motor / same winding, as the V2 endbell allows for more RPM but less torque than the classic endbells.

They're good motors, but I prefer to keep my classic ones, I found out that with CS brushes I get more runs out of my motors without skimming, and the brushes lasts more than 50 runs.

PS : my informations on the V2 comes from Oscar Jansen himself, whom I interviewed especially about that for a magazine I write for.

Rowdy 05-07-2004 05:00 PM

So has anyone tried both a touring and a Hara version of these motors back to back on the track, if so what differences did you see?
Was the extra rpm noticable?
Did the two motors differ in their feel/smoothness?

jpn 05-07-2004 06:29 PM

Twisted Comm

The twisted comm is only found on the motors sold in Europe. This was done to give more RPM since rules in Europe limit motors to only 12 turns so the extra rpm is needed. In the USA and Asia, we only get the standard comm for all versions of these motors.

rice 05-10-2004 04:59 PM

guys thanks for all the inputs :)

ECHOLogic 05-10-2004 05:21 PM

From what I was told the motors work very well. Several drivers at the Pre-Worlds running other branded motor received some help from the Orion motor man. He installed Revolution endbells on other motor manufacturs motors, helping out performance alot. From what I hear Orion is going to release a endbell kit to install on other motors. The motors ran run after run with little performance loss.

rangulo 05-10-2004 07:48 PM

I did test the V2 10 turn in the Pre-worlds and found them to be great on the big track we raced at. It had a little less bottom end rip!! The V2 had a very smooth linear power band and great top speed. I dont know if the V2 will be the ticket here in the usa with our tight tracks and carpet foam racing. The Trinity 2 magnet and the Reedy Ti can were very good and had lots of rip.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

WC 05-10-2004 07:56 PM

Re: Twisted Comm

Originally posted by jpn
The twisted comm is only found on the motors sold in Europe. This was done to give more RPM since rules in Europe limit motors to only 12 turns so the extra rpm is needed. In the USA and Asia, we only get the standard comm for all versions of these motors.
Slight correction required...

You guys should say twisted "armature stacks" (like Trinity D6).

The "comm" = commutator is the copper bit where the brushes touch. :nod:

rice 05-10-2004 08:56 PM

guys what do you think is better v2 motor or the trinity motor? and which motor have longer life span in terms of the same usage?
:)

racer-oZ 05-10-2004 09:25 PM

Once you run an Orion v2 it will be a no brainer for you. The Orion motors run as fast or faster than other motors of equal winds, but there is a ton less maintenance. I have finally cycled through a set of brushes on my 10x1 touring version which comes with the enduro brushes. Racing mod sedan I got 23 complete runs (5minutes per run) on the original set of brushes, that's 3 weekends of racing!

I trued the motor before each day of racing and then never took it out of the car during race day. You will only have to take about .001 - .002 of an inch off the comm to get it clean in between weekends.

Last fall I ran a D5 and a Kr in my sedan and had to true them every 2 runs and had to put a new set of brushes in every time I cut the comm or significant performance was lost. The D5, Kr and Orion motors were all close in speed on the track, but by running the Orion I've saved 40 dollars in brushes in 3 weekends and no longer true motors on race days.

Anyway, just my two cents for the day :D

racer-oZ :)

ps... I will say I put a v2 endbell on my D5 and it is a screamer! :tire: