R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2001, 02:33 PM   #1471
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Well I think that I finally found a way to keep up with TC3's in the tight middle of carpet tracks . Running Low Roll Center, Balck Front, Purple Rear. Shocks all the way out on Towers and OUtside on rear a-arms, Front Ball Joint in 2nd hold from chassis, .030 spacer under steering spindle, Rear Camber in all way on tower and in B on carrier with a .030 spacer. P2K geared 25/90 4499 springs, red pos, green negative, ride height 4mm front and rear, droop 5 front 4 rear, no toe-in on front tire and -1 camber, Rear Hub carriers are -1/2degrees on backwards with 0 Camber, .078 sway bar up front, with Bumper Brace. Here is the key....... Proline Axis Foam tires 24mm.... Purple/Orange front, Purple Rear. When I put the 28mm tires on the car gets killed in the middle tight sections. Now I do have to sauce the whole rear tire like I did with the 28mm tires but now I put on 1/4 inside Front Tire whereas I was not putting any sauce on the front tire before.

Mike Webb
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 04:18 PM   #1472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Roll Centers

Mike

Your setup is similar to some of the setups I have been trying. What castor blocks, kickup and antisquat are you running with this setup? Also have you tried 28 mm Purple tires in front and rear? I prefer it over the purple/orange tires in the front.

We have been running a mandatory 5 mm ride height rule as of late. Do you see any harm in running the low roll center when running the car that high off the ground. I beleive from my limited testing that the car works the best with the low roll center blocks if the car is set at a lower ride height than 5 mm. What do you think?

One last question for comparison sake. Does your carpet track have alot of traction? The reason I ask is that the carpet we are using is very old and fairly well soaked with traction additives. The car tends to get very twitchy because of how much traction we have on the track.

Bob
Bobby Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 04:52 PM   #1473
Tech Elite

I am running the 0F and 0R with 4degree castor blocks. I have not tried the Purples up front..I always use plaids. Since this was my first test with the Low Roll Center I liked it a lot. It was a lot different then when driving without the Low Roll Center...so much so that it took me 2 packs to get use to it. The track that I race at has a ton of traction. but if I do not put the traction sauce on the front then the car push going into the turn. I tried saucing 1/2 the tire and it was too much. I race at The Track and Brown Brothers. I think next I am going to try a .060 sway bar on the rear.

Mike Webb
Old 12-20-2001, 04:55 PM   #1474
Tech Elite

I am sorry.. Droop height Front is 2 and rear is 4...my bad.

Mike Webb
Old 12-21-2001, 01:40 PM   #1475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mike

I thought that front droop setting was rather extreme. By any chance do you know what oil and pistons you are running with that setup.

I have been using 57 pistons front and rear with anywhere from 50 to 70 weight oil with mixed results. I have a feeling that the 57 pistons might be making my car too twitchy and I may be switching to 56 pistons front and rear.

Bob
Bobby Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 04:47 PM   #1476
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just updated our Project XXX-S website with some Lunsford titanium goodies for the XXX-S. We'll be adding more hop-ups next week, like the Yokomo hex adaptors (both clamp style and rubber band secure style). Also, look for our XXX-S Hop-ups to be featured in up coming issues of Xtreme R/C, R/C Car, and RCCA

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:16 PM   #1477
Tech Elite

57 in front, 56 in rear, ^0 Weight Oil in Front and 50 In rear.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:15 AM   #1478
Tech Elite

I changed the location of the sway bar and cut the front Bumper Brace to allow the stay to make the sway bar more centered and stay that way. And I added a Rear Sway Bar,

Mike Webb

See you all Next Year
Old 12-22-2001, 06:07 AM   #1479
Tech Fanatic

Who has got the new shortened shock bodies for the front of there xxx-s? I am gonna order a stack of hopups after christmas. I want the graphite kit, full set of threded shock bodies, alloy motor mount, better foam bumper, lrp quantum pro, new motor and alloy mip drive shafts. Anyone think of any other bits worth getting? Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 12:18 PM   #1480
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Who has got the new shortened shock bodies for the front of there xxx-s? I am gonna order a stack of hopups after christmas. I want the graphite kit, full set of threded shock bodies, alloy motor mount, better foam bumper, lrp quantum pro, new motor and alloy mip drive shafts. Anyone think of any other bits worth getting? Rick

Hey Rick, I got all that and here's some stuff you can add to it: Lunsford titanium hinge pins and an alumminum screw kit from either the Team Trinity Kinwald series or from fastener express.com (my car is decked-out in red screws). You'll be amazed on how much weight you'll save on just the screws itself. Oh- I don't know if you can find these or not but Losi has aluminum pivot balls for the shocks(their website will give you the part#). Hope this helps and good luck.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 04:15 PM   #1481
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to ALFRED

PROUDWINNER - checked out the fastener site and i was wondering if you could just sell me some of your extra red alum screws. i dont think it's worth it getting 25 pieces of screws when all you need is like 10 at the most for each bag. just email me if you could since i dont go to this topic that often. thanks so much and happy holidays!!
ALFRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 04:47 PM   #1482
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

ALFRED- just sent you an email to your hotmail account.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 05:16 PM   #1483
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone know if any companies are making more durable hub carriers for this car? I am finding the stock pieces for both the back and the front to be brutally fragile!!
jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 05:55 PM   #1484
Ty
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I pretty much bullet proofed my front end. I installed the Bud's bumper, Trinity Matt Francis red foam bumper, and the Trinity Matt Francis front bumper brace that holds the body posts together and bolts to the front bulkhead.

I also picked up the complete graphite upgrade kit from my LHS and installed it on the car along with Speed Tech R/C's low roll center blocks front and rear and steering bell cranks, Losi 128 tooth 64 pitch spur gear, and the 1 and 1/2 degree rear graphite hubs and Lunsford titanium hingepins. I don't have time due to the holidays to test the car but it is much lighter now. I am still waiting on the MIP aluminum bones. The car is full graphite now and has titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles and almost full aluminum screws. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce weight even further? I don't want to get rid of the front end protection even though it is obviouly heavier than the stock setup. I would recommend at least getting the Matt Francis red bumper and the bumper brace. The bumper brace eliminates the front bumper from flexing and the body posts as well.

I will play around with setups and post my finds. Good luck to everyone and have a happy holidays.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 09:55 PM   #1485
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Still not one broken part here.