Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WIITA
hey guys, I am looking for a xxx-s front shock. anyone have one or two laying around they want to sell, pm me if so, thanks.
Threaded or non-threaded shock bodies?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
Threaded or non-threaded shock bodies?
either, ill be just using it as a dampener, let me know, thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Unthreaded is no problem. Let me know your address via PM and I can send one out to you.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default combatting chassis roll on the Losi XXX-S

Hi,

I recently bought a used Losi XXX-S.
The car came stock, original shocks (no idea what the weight of the oil is), and the standard blue springs.

I have a bunch of questions, so I hope you guys can help a rookie like me out........

Here is why I'm posting this:
The car has a tendency to chassis roll in the corners.

I'm guessing thats the correct way to describe it, I'm still new to RC in general.

In layman terms I would describe it as the car leaning over the wrong way in the corners, making it really prone to spin out.

Keeping it on the track in the tight turns is way more difficult with the Losi XXX-S, than with my Xray T2'008, which was set up for me by the guy, and local racer, I bought it from.

Another guy at the track suggested that I used thicker oil in the shocks to correct the chassis roll/spinning of the track, but since I haven't got a clue regarding what weight oil was in there to begin with, I need a starting point.

The shocks on the XXX-S are the ones with out a cap at the top. It looks like you're supposed to fill them up, up side down.

The springs have a slightly bigger diameter than the ones on my Xray.

Is my buddy correct, should I use a thicker oil to fix the problem, or is it the springs that should be changed to a stiffer version?

Should I just by totally new shocks, are the old Losi shocks crap?

Regardless of which, which weight oil should I start out with.

What type/brand of oil should I use. Don't want to spend that much on it...

If I were to buy new shocks and springs, which would you recommend for the XXX-S?

I drive on road on a fairly straight forward track without to many turns. (The tracks was designed with 1:5 scale onroad in mind).

Regards
Coach-Z
Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Coach, what turn motor and esc are you running ? Are you racing it or just playing around ? The Losi shocks are fine if they are the threaded adjustable ones. The problem could be both the shock oil and springs. Anti roll bars may also be a consideration.
Answer that question for me and I'll see if I can help.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Coach, what turn motor and esc are you running ? Are you racing it or just playing around ? The Losi shocks are fine if they are the threaded adjustable ones. The problem could be both the shock oil and springs. Anti roll bars may also be a consideration.
Answer that question for me and I'll see if I can help.
Its a collection of stuff I had lying around really..

Brushed motor from a Traxxas Rustler and an old ESC (check my signature)

It's mostly for playing around with, but I plan to let my son race the car in an upcoming beginners "no restriction" event..

so I want it to be all that it can be ;-)

The shocks arent threaded, they use a plastic ring at the top (you tighten it with a screw)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Coach, I hope this link helps. There's some great setup suggestions. Although your shocks will work, the threaded ones are much better for suspension tuning. Personally, I run soft springs(silver front, pink rear) with 35-45 weight oil in shocks and then tune the turn performance with anti roll bars. The X is a great chassis and can perform with the best of them. It's sensitive to droop and roll center settings.
Check out this link.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...k-classes.html
Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im a little confused on droop and what is a droop gauge. I know how to set droop on a offroad but I dont know what your talking about on the x.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johnr2262
Im a little confused on droop and what is a droop gauge. I know how to set droop on a offroad but I dont know what your talking about on the x.
Now you have the advantage. I have no idea what the difference is between onroad droop adjustments and off road.
Maybe this link will help
http://www.losi.com/Products/HintsAn...rodID=LOSA0251

Here's a pic of a typical droop guage so you can understand the description of it's use.
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...5&kategoria=64
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnr2262
Droop on-road /off-road is the same. With the vehicle at rest, it is how much the chassis can rise above the ride height. Off-road you might think of it as how much the wheels "droop" down over a jump. But it's still the same thing, the wheels go down OR the chassis goes up, it's just a point of reference.

Droop affects weight transfer front-back during acceleration & deceleration as well as having an effect on the amount of roll. It's a fine tuning adjustment.

You can measure droop with a ride height gauge by first setting your ride height they lifting the chassis till the tires just lift and taking a measurement.
The difference between the two is the Droop. On the XXX-S, I would start with about 2mm over ride height, Adjust your Springs and angles first til you get the car to handle to your liking then you can tweak the droop.

Need more steering while on power (push) - decrease front droop
Need more steering entering a turn while off power - increase rear droop

Adjust 1/4 turn at time.

Rougher the track the more overall droop you run. Offroad you run alot of droop so you can drop that tire in a rut and not cartwheel down the track.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Does anyone have a spur gear adapter for the XXX-s they would be willing to sell? Running a GT based class and I can get the FDR we are shooting for dead-on but only with a spur outside of the typical Losi offerings. I have searched the net but cannot seem to find a place to order it here in the states. this is the "final piece" needed for this car. Thanks if anyone can help.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

The TMF parts have been gone for awhile. Ebay is the best source but I did a worldwide search and none currently offered.
Did you consider Jet Hobbies ?? They still show them in stock for around 16 bucks.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)
Default xxxs

I'm having a problem with my speed car chewing up spur gears. I replaced the spur this past weekend and made 75mph pass in about 450ft and the quit just started coasting. Got it and noticed all the teeth wer gone off the spur gear. It is getting expensive replacing the spurs every time I try and run it. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a definite fix for your situation. Speed runs are way outside the performance envelope the car was designed for. Although the Matt Francis spur adaptor MIGHT help....it's also possible it would simply make the problem worse.
It seems to me the biggest culprit is probably the belt lash. In other words....at those rpm's, the belt is probably trying to fly off the pulleys so belt tightness would be critical. I believe you'd have to have it tighter than normal. You might also consider making a mod and adapting another belt tensioner ( or 2 )forward of the existing one. Possibly one on the top of the belt and one for the bottom.
Just a thought.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I think another car is going to be better suited for the "speed run" application. Also, if you got serious and wanted to stretch the car out, as some guys do, the design is not going to allow for it (easily anyways). And stop blowing through those spur gears.... there are only so many of them left for us to use out there!

Evo.... I tried emailing JET, no word back. Can't find the part to save my life. On a more positive note, I've racked up a few wins with the car lately .

If I could just get my hands on a "loaner" adapter, I'd probably try to have a friend that does machining try to replicate it, at least it's a thought. The "losi specific" spur gear's are the only part of the car that irritates me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.