R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2001, 10:36 AM   #1396
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Todd hodge set up works pretty well on carpet with a few changes. I went to purple springs all the way around and came in one hole on the rear camber link. The car was dialed and easy to drive. I could have used just a hair bit more off power steering. That is something that I will take care of next week. Other than that the car was fine. I didn't get a chance to test the car is stock to see the lack of punch everyone has been talking about. Hopefully i'll get to do that next weekend. The car is a rocket out of the corners in mod. What spur gear are you guys using? If you're using the 88 maybe try the 90 the next time out. I have mainly be running a 120 spur but I did practice yesterday with 92 and 89.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:45 AM   #1397
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

STLNLST

Can you email me the Todd Hodge setup you are writing about? Or post it here if you prefer.
pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 02:39 PM   #1398
Tech Champion

pokie- Set up is as follows

FRONT
0 kick up
4 degree caster blocks
front oneway
0.5 toe out
1 degree camber
50wt oil
57 pistons
purple springs(Todd runs blue)
arms centered
camber link 2nd hole from inside
shock tower 2nd hole from inside
5mm ride height

REAR
0 anti squat
2 degree rear toe
1 degree camber
40wt oil
56 pistons
arms centered
purple springs(Todd runs blue or softer)
camber link 2nd hole from inside (Todd is in the 3rd hole)
outer hole on rear hub with longer ball stud
shock tower 2nd hole from the inside
5mm ride height
rear arm shock in outer hole.
battery forward
Orion 8x2 geared 120/24 with Reedy quasar brush
Integy SMH 3000's (killer packs at a good price)
belt tension a bit off of it's tightest setting
24mm proline wheels
Yokomo 137 tire's with yok med insert
Protoform Vauxhall(sp)

This is everything that I ran this weekend. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away....
.....you will have to shave your rear ball cups a bit with the longer ball stud so that it doesn't rub the rim.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:00 PM   #1399
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BHenderson Send a message via MSN to BHenderson Send a message via Yahoo to BHenderson
Default Which setup is the best?

Hey Guys

This Losi forum has been very informative. Santa is gonna bring me a XXX-S for christmas and I was wondering which setup is best for an unprepared parking lot track. I am new to electric but have been racing nitro for quite some time. Im entering a very competitive pro stock class and I want to whip them all.... lol. We usually have 15-20 entries every race.

Thanks in Advance
BHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 04:26 PM   #1400
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

STLNLST

I had written down a So Cal setup Todge put on TTT a while back. His setup was similar to yours except the LRC(low roll center) in the rear, plus very light springs. I race on carpet with Yokomo 139gs. I tested this setup a week ago with black and purple shock springs and 80 wt oil(80 wt cause I just changed over from a foam setup and was too lazy to change oil). The car was fabulous. I raced it on THursday on a brand new layout but since the traction is very slick on the first day of a layout I went to blue/pink springs with 50 wt oil. Car was fabulous again until the bite came up. Yesterday I tried a stiffer setup purple/blue kept the 50 wt oil(lazy again) and the car was uncontrollable, very darty.

Too keep a long story short(too late anyhoo). I'm looking to go to heavier oil or go back to the blue/pink springs and try swaybars. I'm assuming this will work. Any suggestions?
pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 09:40 PM   #1401
Tech Champion

pokie- I would try to keep your shock oil the same (50 wt) and play around with springs or camber link locations. Changing oil can sometimes be a pain. Here, when the bite comes up we either change tire's (harder compund) or we stiffen up the car slightly. I try not to mess with the shocks at all when I'm testing. If I can get the car to work with changing track conditions just by changing camber locations or moving the shock locations I get more info from my testing. Changing oil and springs (sometimes) is like starting all over. Let changing oil, pistons, or springs be a last resort. Playing with the droop may also help out some.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:31 PM   #1402

Send a message via AIM to KeNelson03

Hey anyone try the new pit tires?
KeNelson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:18 AM   #1403
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_Webb
3MM Hex Wrench... (good for the Droop Screws)
3mm?? ....I have a 3mm hex driver and it doesnt fit a single screw on the car.... It's huge
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 06:29 AM   #1404
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Opps... I think I meant .3

Mike Webb

It is the Motor Pinion Hex Driver that I have. It fights the Droop screws on my car.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 07:44 AM   #1405
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Under-/overdrive

Has anybody played with the under/overdrive option in conjunction with the one-way?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 09:46 AM   #1406
Tech Regular

KeNelson03- I have been running them for a while now. James and I ran them at the race at your track, My performance did not speek well for the tire but James winning both classes does. We both ran Pit 24's front and rear with Yok 37m inserts. I think that the rubber is thicker on the Pit's so they seem to stay fast longer. When they are new they seem to be equal between Pit's and Sorexes.

Chad
ChadK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:39 PM   #1407
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_Webb
Opps... I think I meant .3

Mike Webb

It is the Motor Pinion Hex Driver that I have. It fights the Droop screws on my car.
Yeah... lol... I spent the longest time trying to figure out why you would need 3mm anywhere on the car!
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:40 PM   #1408
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

The droop screws are .050". Not one metric fastener on the car other than motor screws(3mm screw, 2.5mm hex).

A list of tools to work on the car:

Allen/hex wrenches:
.050"
1/16"
5/64"
3/32"
2.5mm

Nut drivers:
3/16"
1/4"
9/32"

7/16" boxed end wrench is handy for the shock caps.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:47 PM   #1409
Tech Initiate

Cool

Stefen,that is a scary idea. This car alreadys turns in hard and adding a oneway to the equation would be super scary. But hell it might be what I need to get my car to stop pushing as it is now.
MaddogTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 12:41 AM   #1410
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

Here are some on track performance notes of our XXX-S parts. One of our local racer raced his XXX-S one weekend completly bone-stock and the following week changed the car's roll center with our front and rear inner hinge-pin mount with the optional low roll center, and he said it was a night and day difference. And he proved it by winning pro-stock this weekend at our track, follow very closely by MDawson (which you all know on this board ) who was also running our low roll center parts. You can check out the parts they're running on our website

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
909-869-9443

p.s. Don't forget our Christmas sale that's going on! One lucky customer will receive a brand new car kit from us this month!
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote