Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowyelan
Thanks,
Im assuming the ea3 is a bit more durable than the graphite parts.
Dunno... as soon as I break the graphite ones, I'll be using the EA3 replacements! Will let you know. Look on the JRXS-R thread. There was a discussion a while back, but can't recall what was said...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok, I have to aks you for help again, my belt goes out of pulley when I hit reverse hard, what may be the reason? I've tried loosen, tighten, alaways the same! Slowly rev goes ok, half speed goes off.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Man, this is one impressive thread.

Here's a LONG post about my story of buying a XXX-s:

Anyone else running the Vintang Trans Am class with a Losi XXX-S? I am, and here's how it came about.

I am relatively new to RC, I have been racing only about a year. I have been racing Mini-Coopers, 1/18th scale trucks, Losi Mini-Sliders, a small bout with 1/12th scale (youch!).

I had really been wanting to get into a 1/10th Touring Car class, but the local track is a bit small (Indy Slots), and i owned an old HPI Sprint, Tamiya TT-01, HPI E10.

A Vintage Trans Am class was starting up an Indy Slots, and I really wanted to get in on it. I tried using the HPI Sprint, but ran into durability issues and parts were hard to find. I also tried the TT-01, which worked out well, but I just couldn't find the right gear ratio using the motor mount bracket it has. One day I was perusing the LHS stock, looking for something else to try and I ran across this Losi XXX-s RTRII. I knew nothing about it, but it was cheap enough at $200 vs. all of the other TC cars at $350+. I didn't know it was such an old design. I didn't need the ESC, radio system, tires, or motor. So I sold all of those and made about $140 on eBay, making my investment about $60 for a brand new roller chassis.

I have also since switched to the longer belt system. On eBay I found a huge amount of spare parts, some used, most new, for about $12 including a pair of aluminum steering knuckles. I have also bought the from bumper supports which make a HUGE different in body roll and front end durability.

This car does very well in the VTA class. It handles and keeps up with all of the modern designs out there. Actually, a few of the guys are envious of some of the features on the XXX-s. The guarded bels are a huge plus.

I have also switched to the 64 pitch gears, I am using the 108 tooth spur gear along with a 43 tooth pinion. With the VTA tires, it is running about 25-27 MPH.

The only problems I have had so far:
1. Before I bought the front bumper support, whenever I took a solid crash the front ball cups would pop off or one time I broke a front knuckle. Now, with the front bumper support, instead of a front ball cup popping off in a crash, a rear ball cup will pop off.

2. I had the belt pop off the rear diff pulley once during some hard practicing in my driveway. It hasn't happened during carpet racing or practicing, and it only happened one time so far. The pulley has a small chip missing from the side of the pulley, it looks mostly cosmetic, but I have bought some spares just incase it happens again.

3. The motor heats up to about 150F after a long main, 8 minutes. I am running a 21,5 Novak brushless motor. I will be checking how free the drivechain is without the motor mounted after reading in this thread. I also might try the 48 pitch gears with a 88 tooth spur and 35 tooth pinion to match the current ratio I am running now. I also have ordered an Integy dual fan motor cooling heat sink.

Over all I am very happy with this design. I have been tempted to buy a TC5, but that is what most of the other guys are driving and I have always been one to go against the stream.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Congrats, Yeah for Trans-am it's a great car. Hell even for club racing in a mod class it's a good car because it is durable. If you are popping ballcups, replace them with something a little more heavy duty such as the RPM ones. That should help alleviate that problem. My car has hit just about everything and the only thing I've done to it so far is strip out a few spur gears by not tightening the motor down. Oops!

Paul
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
Congrats, Yeah for Trans-am it's a great car. Hell even for club racing in a mod class it's a good car because it is durable. If you are popping ballcups, replace them with something a little more heavy duty such as the RPM ones. That should help alleviate that problem. My car has hit just about everything and the only thing I've done to it so far is strip out a few spur gears by not tightening the motor down. Oops!

Paul
Thanks.

Could you point me to a link for those RPM ball cups? Again, thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...954.1955.0.0.0

You can also find it online at most hobby shops. They can come in various colors.

Also, they sell long ones, which can be handy to have.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...954.1955.0.0.0

You can also find it online at most hobby shops. They can come in various colors.

Also, they sell long ones, which can be handy to have.
Thank you. I ordered a set.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rubber.

Does anyone have a good rubber on carpet setup for the g+?
If so ,could you post a link or something for me please?

Where is the best place to get replacement parts for the old losi,s?

Dave.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Not sure on a setup.

I haven't broken much on my car, but losipartshouse.com and stormerhobbies.com still carry full line of stuff for it.

Horizon hobby of course carries xxx-s items since they distribute Losi parts. A few of the parts are also compatible with the JRX. (ie. the Spool diff is the same between the 2 cars.)

Paul
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Company Representative

Default XXX-S Gear ratio

sup fellas

I'm coming back to racing with the XXX-S and LIPO/BL set up.

what is a biggest pinion can you have on the car with 108T 64P spur?

I have a speed passion 17.5 and someone told me gear 3.7 Final Ratio!!!

what is the biggest 64P pinion have you had on your car?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

I run a 43 on mine with a 10.5 when I'm using that spur gear. Normally I prefer to run the 128 Spur gear though. I have enough room to go bigger. Largest pinion I have in my box is 45 and I know that one fits as well.

Paul
Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Company Representative

I run a 43 on mine with a 10.5 when I'm using that spur gear. Normally I prefer to run the 128 Spur gear though. I have enough room to go bigger. Largest pinion I have in my box is 45 and I know that one fits as well.

Paul
Hey Paul.

what is biggest Pinion you ever fitted in taht car? I like to use kevlar 128T but I'm afraid won't make gear ratio with 17.5 BL.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

With the 128... I've only gone to a 25. Was using a 3.5 for kicks when i did that. I don't think you could get the right gear ratio for a 17.5 with that spur. That'd be something like a 50-55 pinion gear if I remember right, maybe higher.

I had plenty of room. Highest I've put in was a 34. I certainly had room for more though.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Railroader
I also might try the 48 pitch gears with a 88 tooth spur and 35 tooth pinion to match the current ratio I am running now.
Any results on the 88/35??? I've got a project xxx-s RTR I'm slowly converting for the VTA class and any tips would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default wheels

Originally Posted by Kajman
Hello,
I ve got a big problem with my xxx-s, since 5 days everytime I accelerate hard it goes left. If I push trigger strong enough, without moving steering wheel it spins.
I've changed almost everything in suspension rear and front and f...ing no response! Have no idea, what can it be? No loose parts, everything set on Hudy... damn, one more day and I change chassis. I run Hacker Master Car Sport ESC with Hacker E40 5.5T motor, gear ratio 10.5. Anyone had this problem? I'm little broken down...
Damn, what other reasonable chassis with hidden belt or shaft can I use on dirty tracks and parking?
check your wheels. If one is stripped out, it will cause your car to pull to one side

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.