R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #13936
Tech Rookie

Thanks again. I wish we had some racing around here that ran the XXX-S so I could see what the people who know run.
I run the threaded aftermarket shocks all the way around, but am still working with springs to get the front suspension to relax and not always be on the top with the pre-load adjusted fully up .28 seems close to an 1/18th scale shock. Are these what you are talking about?
radarwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #13937
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

The .28 shocks ARE noticably shorter than the .36 shocks, but that makes them perfect for the front of the XXX-S for pavement or carpet racing. (I use them for both...)

Switching the front suspension of the XXX-S to "low rollcenter" also lowers the front of the chassis. The LOSI "low rollcenter" blocks are actuall sort of "Mid rollcenter" -- the aluminum low rollcenter blocks by Trinity are TRUE low rollcenter. For parking lot racing I use the Trinity blocks...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #13938
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to sloshedmr_bones Send a message via Yahoo to sloshedmr_bones

Well the rain finally slowed donw here and gave me some time to drive and i was having problems with the temps getting really hot. I am running a Mamba max brushless 5700kv in my car with 87 or 88 spur with a 17t pinion. The spur is neon yellow if that helps and i know theres 2. Didn't get through a full pack before it got too hot. Any suggestions on gearing it. I have tried 18t pinion and thats didnt work the settings on my esc are stock settings. I just dont wanna keep buy pinions and find out its the wrong one. Some info would be great. I have read the gearing on castles website but thats is a guideline more than anything. HELP PLEASE!
sloshedmr_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #13939
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrahm View Post
The .28 shocks ARE noticably shorter than the .36 shocks, but that makes them perfect for the front of the XXX-S for pavement or carpet racing. (I use them for both...)

Switching the front suspension of the XXX-S to "low rollcenter" also lowers the front of the chassis. The LOSI "low rollcenter" blocks are actuall sort of "Mid rollcenter" -- the aluminum low rollcenter blocks by Trinity are TRUE low rollcenter. For parking lot racing I use the Trinity blocks...
Once I understood the .28 measurement and added a little fuel line hose to my threaded aluminums I knew you were right! It seems that with the Silver 1 inch (lightest) spring from Losi the front will sit on top of the spring with only a small droop. I want to be able to back off on the front shock adjustment when I have a fresh, tall set of foams on. What the length on you springs?

BTW I'm just fine tunning now, after I tightned properly the diffs, 90% of my complaints went away. Rookie mistake.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #13940
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloshedmr_bones View Post
Well the rain finally slowed donw here and gave me some time to drive and i was having problems with the temps getting really hot. I am running a Mamba max brushless 5700kv in my car with 87 or 88 spur with a 17t pinion. The spur is neon yellow if that helps and i know theres 2. Didn't get through a full pack before it got too hot. Any suggestions on gearing it. I have tried 18t pinion and thats didnt work the settings on my esc are stock settings. I just dont wanna keep buy pinions and find out its the wrong one. Some info would be great. I have read the gearing on castles website but thats is a guideline more than anything. HELP PLEASE!
It dosent seem the 88/17 is way off. If that motor is getting that hot then it points to other issues. If you pull the motor out of the car, it should roll across the floor with ease. Does yours? Maybe you have a drivetrain issue.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #13941
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to sloshedmr_bones Send a message via Yahoo to sloshedmr_bones

car rolls freely without motor and nothing is binding with the motor in there. Checked for that so the only thing thought it could be was pinion.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:16 AM   #13942
Tech Rookie

Quote:
car rolls freely without motor and nothing is binding with the motor in there. Checked for that so the only thing thought it could be was pinion.
I would then call Castle Creations. I'm sure they have the information you are after.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #13943
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwill View Post
It seems that with the Silver 1 inch (lightest) spring from Losi the front will sit on top of the spring with only a small droop. I want to be able to back off on the front shock adjustment when I have a fresh, tall set of foams on. What the length on you springs?
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but I'll take a shot...

My front shocks are .28 bodies and shafts, and even for rubber tires I run .030' internal limiters (less stress on the droop screws)...

For foams, I run .28 bodies and shafts with additional limiters.

I would think that you should be able to run standard .28 shock bodies/shafts and when you need to drop the chassis, just back off on the preload and crank in the droop screws as needed. As the foams wear, more preload and letting the suspension droop more will maintain ride height...

Does this help?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 AM   #13944
Tech Regular

ok tried the car with the new gearing i am running now which is 88/16 *1.83 for a fd of 10.065 and all the esc settings lowered to the lowest and the esc , motor, and battery fried. The battery expanded, the motor just quit, and the esc wires melted. I dont know what else to do. I took the motor out before i did anything and the car rolled freely nothing was binding. Now what? I have tried everything anyone has thrown at me and nothing has worked yet. suggestions again. Thanx
Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #13945
Tech Rookie

Quote:
ok tried the car with the new gearing i am running now which is 88/16 *1.83 for a fd of 10.065 and all the esc settings lowered to the lowest and the esc , motor, and battery fried. The battery expanded, the motor just quit, and the esc wires melted. I dont know what else to do. I took the motor out before i did anything and the car rolled freely nothing was binding. Now what? I have tried everything anyone has thrown at me and nothing has worked yet. suggestions again. Thanx
Holy smokes, what a mess. How long did it run before all the frying. Something was drawing a LOT of current. You did not metion that the wires from ESC to motor fried, so I assume they are intact. That beging said, huge current was being drawn from the esc to the battery and not the motor. My guess is that the esc has problems. You are in the ball park with the gearing and even if you were way off it would cause the motor to get hot but not melting hot. If you swelled batter is a lipo, dispose of it properly. Did you call castle creations?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #13946
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've got a bunch of xxx-s stuff for sale in this thread. Check it out!!
XXX-S Roller + Hop Up and Spare parts lot
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #13947
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was wondering is some of you guys could help me out. I'm running on a small tight asphalt track, it has a small back streach and several technical turns.

I was talking to one of the Local Pros here ( in germany) And he didn't speak much english, but he did manage to tall me that my car is setup wrong. I bought it used from someone who used to race carpet and pretty much left it un-changed. I don't know what oil is in the shocks, and I'm running blue springs all the way around. I took the one-way out, but I think I'm going to put it back in, 35R sorex's, and a 19T Komodo Pro. I have purple,blue,sliver, and green springs.

Can someone hook me up with a good base setup? I.E what hubs, oil, springs, tires, shock positions. All the good stuff. I've been bashing for about 15 years, but I think I'm really going to try to get into hard core racing while I'm here in germany. So lay it on me guys. Any help would be great.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #13948
Tech Apprentice

Can anyone here give me a Hand. I just baught another car wich makes 4 for me in the past week.

I got the RTR LOSI XXX-S Sport II Brushless with the 10.5 Novak and the Novak 10.5 ESC. Ive been drifting with it since thats what ive been doing for along time now is Drifting with my other cars but Id really like to get this Car Ready to Race.

My Questions are below

#1. What bearings should I get
#2. Should I upgrade the Motor (Hows a 3.5 Brushless upgrade lol) I know tooooo fast.
#3. What kind of Lube and Oil should I use for the Bearings and Shocks.
#4. The Best Tires to Buy.

If I missed anything else just let me know. I started to read the Forums but I wasnt going to read over 400 Pages. I got tired after the first 30.

I do like this Car and overall its been good to me. I did buy it used and had to replace the Spur Gear but other then that no Issues.
RoseTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #13949
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTuned View Post
Can anyone here give me a Hand. I just baught another car wich makes 4 for me in the past week.

I got the RTR LOSI XXX-S Sport II Brushless with the 10.5 Novak and the Novak 10.5 ESC. Ive been drifting with it since thats what ive been doing for along time now is Drifting with my other cars but Id really like to get this Car Ready to Race.

My Questions are below

#1. What bearings should I get
#2. Should I upgrade the Motor (Hows a 3.5 Brushless upgrade lol) I know tooooo fast.
#3. What kind of Lube and Oil should I use for the Bearings and Shocks.
#4. The Best Tires to Buy.
Regarding a starting point for setup, here is what I posted several posts above this -- works great for me for 13.5 and 10.5 power...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrahm View Post
radarwill -- For the local parking lot racing, I tend to set my XXX-S up:

Front Shocks:
either Purple springs (less steering needed)
or Blue springs (more steering needed)
either #60 (tan) piston with 30wt oil
or #57 (black) piston with 40wt oil (only a subtle difference, but slightly more steering)

Rear Shocks:
either Silver springs (less rear traction, more steering)
or Red springs (more rear traction, less steering)
Always #56 (pink/red) piston with 30wt oil

Our local parking lot tracks don't have enough traction to allow Blue rear springs...
About power -- I've found that the 13.5 or 10.5 are plenty of power for most parking lot style racing... Locally, when running brushed Modified motors on a pretty good parking lot, the wildest I ever ran was a 12 turn brushed motor -- untreated parking lots (no sugar water or VHT) just limit how much power you can use.

As to tires, locally CS27's are the general rule, with some guys running RP30's (but with shorter tire life) or Sorex 32R's... I know some get fancy with insert/tire combinations, but 90% of the local racers just run premounted CS27's or RP30's. The convenience is more than worth it...
Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #13950
Tech Apprentice

Ive ran the Novak 3.5 Brushless and right now im running in my RS4 Sport is a peak racing 10 turn. the 3.5 is off the wall fast but im thinking about going lower. im sure they make faster.
RoseTuned is offline   Reply With Quote