R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #13696
Tech Elite
 
racenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Philippine RC Drifters
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

i dont know if AE oil and Losi's are diffrent. But since you encounter that problem you might as well go back to your basic set-up and replace your ae oil with losi..
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #13697
Tech Fanatic
 
Fast XXXS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ballarat, VIC
Posts: 842
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Yeh i would go back but this weekend is a major meeting and i dont have any other shock oil or won't be able to get some in time. Thats why im wondering if i can change something else other than my oil just for the time being till i get some more. Is there anything else i can use that may be equivilant to the losi kit oil. Would synthetic oil for real cars work?

Thankyou for the replies
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #13698
Tech Elite
 
racenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Philippine RC Drifters
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS
Yeh i would go back but this weekend is a major meeting and i dont have any other shock oil or won't be able to get some in time. Thats why im wondering if i can change something else other than my oil just for the time being till i get some more. Is there anything else i can use that may be equivilant to the losi kit oil. Would synthetic oil for real cars work?

Thankyou for the replies
i tried using castor oil once.

Anyone here have spare matt francis hop-up parts for xxxs losi???
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:09 AM   #13699
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 65
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

okay... I'll be running silver can on a very curvy asphalt indoor track.

Any tips on gearing?

And, I can't find anywhere that has any of the team losi springs in stock. I need some of those.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:10 AM   #13700
Tech Fanatic
 
Fast XXXS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ballarat, VIC
Posts: 842
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

I am borrowing some schumacher 30 weight oil from a mate. how much different is it to the losi 30 weight?

Id say around 5:5 for gearing.
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #13701
Tech Adept
 
darkfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen
okay... I'll be running silver can on a very curvy asphalt indoor track.

Any tips on gearing?

And, I can't find anywhere that has any of the team losi springs in stock. I need some of those.
depends on what you spur is running, I can't remember what the stock one is but I think it's 87, which means you want to start at a 24 tooth pinion and work from there. you can lower the tooth count for more punch out of the corners or increase tooth count for more high end. if you motor runs over 140F you want to lower your tooth count to keep the motor cooler, if it doesn't, you can increase tooth count until it's close to 140F after your run.

Those silver cans tend to be toss aways so try and keep it below 140F for longer life, once they run a couple 180-200F races they might as well be tossed because the comm will be black and the brushes worn out.

They recommend breaking in those silver cans (Johnson motors) by running them in water. I found I get better results with some high quality oil and using a dremel at high for 2 mins to spin the armature. That's a personal preference thing.
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #13702
Tech Elite
 
racenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Philippine RC Drifters
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfox
depends on what you spur is running, I can't remember what the stock one is but I think it's 87, which means you want to start at a 24 tooth pinion and work from there. you can lower the tooth count for more punch out of the corners or increase tooth count for more high end. if you motor runs over 140F you want to lower your tooth count to keep the motor cooler, if it doesn't, you can increase tooth count until it's close to 140F after your run.

Those silver cans tend to be toss aways so try and keep it below 140F for longer life, once they run a couple 180-200F races they might as well be tossed because the comm will be black and the brushes worn out.

They recommend breaking in those silver cans (Johnson motors) by running them in water. I found I get better results with some high quality oil and using a dremel at high for 2 mins to spin the armature. That's a personal preference thing.

I thi9nk the stock spur gear is 90t, anyway im running 88t spur. what pinion should i start with??? im using 540 silvercan,closed endbell motor. Will run it offroad, rally style..
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #13703
Tech Addict
 
rcstunt101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 659
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Im looking to get into a stock racing 1/10 electic onroad class in my local club. Would this car keep up while being stock ? http://www.modelflight.com.au/team_l...-sport_rtr.htm

Also what kinda of speed would you get from this stock? in km/h? Thanks in advance
rcstunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #13704
Tech Adept
 
darkfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

with the motor you get with the sport rtr you'll probably hit about 50km/h. That's a guess. If you want to run it in the stock class at your club you'll need to get yourself a "Stock motor", I know it sounds odd to get a stock motor to drive you stock car, but the motor that comes with the rtr is a 15turn motor and an actual stock motor is a 27turn. I'm running a CO27 and it's got a lot of punch. Your esc on that rtr will handle it and if you're running sportsman at your club they'll let you get away with that esc having reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut
I thi9nk the stock spur gear is 90t, anyway im running 88t spur. what pinion should i start with??? im using 540 silvercan,closed endbell motor. Will run it offroad, rally style..
that'll be the 48 pitch spur then, you'll want to start with 24tooth gear and go from there. It all depends on how tight the track is. If it's short with lots of turns you want to start a little lower than 24, maybe a 21. But wait till you try the 24tooth out, if you have a temp gun and the silver can is under 150F, you can put a bigger pinion on. If it's over 150F, you want to gear it down a few teeth. Every track is different, so trial and error is the only fool proof way to know.
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #13705
Tech Elite
 
racenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Philippine RC Drifters
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfox



that'll be the 48 pitch spur then, you'll want to start with 24tooth gear and go from there. It all depends on how tight the track is. If it's short with lots of turns you want to start a little lower than 24, maybe a 21. But wait till you try the 24tooth out, if you have a temp gun and the silver can is under 150F, you can put a bigger pinion on. If it's over 150F, you want to gear it down a few teeth. Every track is different, so trial and error is the only fool proof way to know.
Tnx, darkfox. Better get 24t pinion now hehehe
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #13706
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brussels - Belgium
Posts: 90
Default Which motor pinion for a nosram 5.5 motor

Hi guys !

I plan to buy a combo nosram matrix evolution & storm 5.5 brushless motor.

Any advice about the motor pinion ? I use the standard spur gear (yellow) and rubber tires. I run on a medium track (asphalt).

Cheers.
__________________
Team Losi XXX-S G+ (Mamba Max 7700)
Team Losi XXX-4 G+ (Nosram Matrix 2005 & Storm 3 stars)
Team Xray T1 FK '05 (Nosram Matrix ISTC & Storm 3.5)
Team Orion Avionics Advantage / Team Orion Li-po 3200 Carbon Edition (5) / Futaba 3PK
Blin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #13707
Tech Adept
 
darkfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blin
Hi guys !

I plan to buy a combo nosram matrix evolution & storm 5.5 brushless motor.

Any advice about the motor pinion ? I use the standard spur gear (yellow) and rubber tires. I run on a medium track (asphalt).

Cheers.
I'm not sure on the heat maxes for the brushless systems (I don't run them), but my advice is the same. Start with a 24tooth and move up and down from there. Maybe find a brushless forum and find out what the advised motor max temp is. Then you'll know what to change to. Tooth down to cool down, tooth up to heat up.
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #13708
Tech Elite
 
racenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Philippine RC Drifters
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfox
Tooth down to cool down, tooth up to heat up.
Now, that make sense...tnx darkfox
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #13709
Tech Adept
 
nemisis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 108
Default

hi
i was wonderin of anyone could give me any set up tips for the xxxs on a tight carpet track
nemisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #13710
Tech Adept
 
darkfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 211
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut
Now, that make sense...tnx darkfox
you got it man. lol. kinda like "righty tighty lefty loosy" for easing the memory...lol, even though you don't want to be herd muttering either one.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nemisis
hi
i was wonderin of anyone could give me any set up tips for the xxxs on a tight carpet track
depends what you're running really. I have a 124tooth 64 pitch gear on mine and on our smaller tight track I use my lowest tooth pinion to keep the heat down and keep the punch nice out of all the corners. I believe my smallest 64pitch is a 20 tooth. on tight tracks though you want to start off low pinion tooth count and slowly work your way up until your motor hits about 160F. don't get too outta control or you'll burn your motor up and have to re-cut the comm.
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 / 08 1/8th MNL Buggy and Truggy National Series Race Danny Teh Malaysian R/C Racers 856 01-04-2009 08:04 PM
Losi xxx 2wd connyw R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 10-31-2008 04:31 PM
NITRO SELLOUT!!! CRT.5**XXX-NT AD1**XTM XCELLORATOR** Novak GTX with BATT duneordie R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 06-27-2008 07:28 PM
XXX Parts, B4 jelly Australia For Sale/Trade 10 06-22-2006 07:13 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:28 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0