R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #13681
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfox
depends on what you're running on. For carpet you want some good foam tires, I run Jaco's orange/purple (hard) on the front and purple (med-hard) on rear for our ozite track.

for touring car oil you want to get yourself 20w-50w. Most pros run 30-40wt in their shocks. you can run the same weight in each shock and just use stronger springs for the front.

gears are personal preference. beginers usually stick to the 48pitch gears. I run 64 pitch for more fine tunning. I run 124/24. Depending on how big your track is, once a month we run on a much larger track so I change my gearing to 124/31, if your motor goes north of 120F you want to gear down. If it never goes above 100F after a five minute race you can gear up and get more top end speed.

after two or three race days you want to strip down the car, clean it, lube it, check for wear and breaks and then reassemble. the stock bearings can be cleaned by putting them into a small container and covering them with electric motor cleaning fluid, then drain, dry and then put them back into the container and then cover them with WD40 and let them bathe for a bit. dry them off and then when you're putting them back into your TC give them a little low weight oil. my XXXS rolls until it hits something with this technique.

your packs should be pretty good. As you get more serious you might want to get some "saddle" packs so that you can discharge each cell individually with a discharge tray.

CVD's rock. Graphite arms are great. You can also get woven graphite shock towers (if you do remember to run a bead of CA glue along the edges to avoid them coming apart under impact). The graphite chassis is a nice lightener. Once you've had the car for a bit you might want to invest in a better ESC with less resistance to get more life and punch out of your batteries, a higher speed servo wouldn't hurt either, but the JR one that comes with that RTR is quite nice so you don't need to rush out for that upgrade.

If you want to learn a lot about setups get yourself the XXX Main TC setup guide. Read it a few times...I still have to re-read stuff to make sure I got it right.
darkfox,

I plan on running on pavement... I live right near that Seattle raceway place, so thats where I'd be racing. So, for pavement setups, what would I do? Any difference on shock fluids, spring rates, etc etc? It looks like all that advice was for carpet.

Thanks for your help. Its interesting, because it looks like people talk about how to grow the sport, but you know, theres no one really good website that just walks a newbie through all of the basics of RC cars... there are no end-all be-all FAQ pages or general RC guides that are super easily available to newbies, and that means I'm probably wasting some money on upgrades that I don't need. If you guys want to make this sport more approachable by newbies, make it easy to get in. make it easy to understand, and give people an easy starting point, because RC cars have enough attraction, but not enough user-friendliness. I had to dig for two weeks of solid reading before I've even got this far, and I still feel competely dumb.

Mojo,

I got the belt kit.. found it for 19 shipped, so I did that. I guess maybe I'll just give my extra belt to my dad, he has a XXX-S as well, maybe he can make it fit without the hardware..
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:03 AM   #13682
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There is definately a learning curve and you are bound to buy things you'll never use as in any new enterprise. The previous post by darkfox mentioned the best place to start for anybody, the setup guide called xxx main. It has every different adjustment and tweak for even the newer sedans. Please get this book and read it, bring it to the track. As far as getting help I can only speak for myself when I say most everyone at my local track has bent over backwards to help me get started. Somethings you just have to learn for yourself.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #13683
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Def. use the black belt kit, 128 spur, and start with the G+ kit setup. I think it's in the teamlosi.com somewhere. I run it and it's pretty dialed. Dunno what the setup is on the rtr, but if you wanna race start with the G+ setup.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #13684
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yep. if you head to the losi website you can download and print off setup sheets for pavement racing with rubber tires. Have a look, that should be a great place to start your education. The XXX Main guide is a HUGE help because the vets might use words like "tweek" and "droop" and you won't know what the heck they're talking about. So the checklist goes like this.

- TeamLosi.com setup sheet from their website for what you're going to run
- XXX Main TC Setup Guide
- Annoy the vets with questions like I still do.

For newbs the easiest thing to do is find a setup sheet for your car to start from, read the XXX Main book and then do some racing....believe it or not it really does all boil down to driving skill once you're more educated.
darkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #13685
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Hey Racenut,
I run my XXXS with a standard 540 for onroad touring and i run my final ratio as low as 4.1. for rally i would ask the other people at your track and see what they are running as there final drive ratio. To figure out the final drive ratio its goes:

Spur devided by pinion multiplied by internal ratio(which is 1.83)
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #13686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS
Hey Racenut,
I run my XXXS with a standard 540 for onroad touring and i run my final ratio as low as 4.1. for rally i would ask the other people at your track and see what they are running as there final drive ratio. To figure out the final drive ratio its goes:

Spur devided by pinion multiplied by internal ratio(which is 1.83)
fast xxxs
thanks for your kind reply. Most of the peeps there run tamiya kits for rally. i chosed my xxxs for its smooth and sealed drive train... thanks a lot!!!
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #13687
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Did anyone try dual (front and rear) one-way on XXX-S? If so, how was that?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:00 PM   #13688
Tech Regular

Can you say no brakes?

Staggered F/X body painting
Stagger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #13689
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schumacher
Did anyone try dual (front and rear) one-way on XXX-S? If so, how was that?
you will gain better steering response but youll have no brakes.

Does anyone have a spare belts for xxxs???
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #13690
Tech Elite

Found this link...XXXS rally conversion..

http://www.sixfoottiger.com/articles/xxxr/xxxr.cfm
Old 11-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #13691
Tech Apprentice

okay... well, thanks all for so much help on my new XXX-S. I got it today in the mail (finally) and within 5 minutes of running it in my living room, on carpet, the ESC burst into flame.

I don't know if anything else is damaged... do ESCs normally damage other things if they arc or blow? I'm pretty dissapointed. I bought it brand new off of HisnHer hobbies on ebay for 200... I think they should either exchange it or send me some paypal for a new ESC.

What should I do? Just go buy a new ESC and wiring harnesses? Do they sell wiring harnesses for ESCs? I don't have a soldering gun/iron so I can'd do this myself.

Please any and all help would be very great.

Also another question... my car was going left when I turn right and right when I turn left. The controller manual sucked pretty hardcore, so is there an easy way to switch that?
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #13692
Tech Rookie

Default where did all the xxx-s's go?

Just came back to TC racing after a near 2yr layoff. Could not find on XXX-s at the local track. Everyone running x rays. Are you guys still hanging in there? Just curious...got tired of waiting for the JRXS-R to release so i bought a new yokomo...still afraid to get rid of the old faithful XXX-s graph. +
MichiganYokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #13693
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganYokomo
Just came back to TC racing after a near 2yr layoff. Could not find on XXX-s at the local track. Everyone running x rays. Are you guys still hanging in there? Just curious...got tired of waiting for the JRXS-R to release so i bought a new yokomo...still afraid to get rid of the old faithful XXX-s graph. +
i sold my xxxs g+ with matt frances hop-uped a year ago. I miss the darned thing so i bought another xxxs g+. i loved how the car handles. So fast and stable..
Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #13694
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Hi,
I decided to replace the oil in my shocks on my xxxs g+ for the first time since i have had it (about 1.5 yrs) just recently cause they were so squishy. in the manual it says it has 30 weight in box form. anyway i bought some associated 40 weight oil and i didnt change anything on my setup that i previously had before rebuilding them. when i took it for a spin it had way to much steering and the back was soooo taily. i leaned the rear shocks all the way in and leaned the front shocks 2 holes in from fully out. it was still hard to drive and not very stable. how can i fix this? i cant get to a track till the next race meet so i would just like a few suggestions that i can try.

cheers
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #13695
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

You went too drastic in your tuning...Start over and go to kit setup. Associated oil is gonna be diff. than Losi. I had the same problem when I fist got mine (used). Went to kit setup and all I did was add a .060 sway bar up front. It's great now.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote