R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #13456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default The one nice thing about the car is that it won't....

tweak like plate cars will.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #13457
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, i just dusted off my XXX-S that is about 4 years old with the old stiffzel chassis as well. I put together a little order at stormer for:

Black belt kit
titanium turnbuckles
RPM Rob Ends
some 1 degree hub carriers to get rid of some of the rear toe in.

It's been a while, but it should be fun. I'm going to mess around with my P2K2 and SMC2400 for while, but i'll be placing an order for some IB3800's from Promatch or fusion in a few weeks time after I get into the swing of things.

Lets just hope that this thread doesn't die since I'm going to have some more questions when I start back up!!! (I did just read this thread from page 200 until here in about 2 weeks, so everything is all jumbled up all over the place in my head!!).

Stay around!!
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #13458
Tech Elite

Default Are you racing or playing?

If your playing get a Novak Brushless 5.5 system and a Lipo 4800 Orion pack. It's fun at 45m.p.h.

Otherwise the XXX-S a fine car and I would recommend a molded graphite kit. Only thing that needs updated would be the droop system and the XXX-S, adjustments and more steering out of the box. Otherwise it's easy to drive at high speed and it's consistant. I'm no expert racer, but that's how I felt. All the mags have good reviews even though it didn't win the "my choice pick" in the end. Mostly due to lack of a oneway in the kit. Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
Well, i just dusted off my XXX-S that is about 4 years old with the old stiffzel chassis as well. I put together a little order at stormer for:

Black belt kit
titanium turnbuckles
RPM Rob Ends
some 1 degree hub carriers to get rid of some of the rear toe in.

It's been a while, but it should be fun. I'm going to mess around with my P2K2 and SMC2400 for while, but i'll be placing an order for some IB3800's from Promatch or fusion in a few weeks time after I get into the swing of things.

Lets just hope that this thread doesn't die since I'm going to have some more questions when I start back up!!! (I did just read this thread from page 200 until here in about 2 weeks, so everything is all jumbled up all over the place in my head!!).

Stay around!!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #13459
Tech Regular

Well, I'm just going to go to the local carpet track and start getting some practice in. THe season is already underway, but I can jump in during. If I get back into it like i'd want to (races once a week), i may consider upgrading to a graphite kit, but I am not sure where this will all lead me. I may also consider moving on to another car, though I really do like the XXX-S better than anything else that was available 4 years ago. Personally, I don't like the X-rays (they just seem like 1/10 pan cars with an extra deck and XXX-S running gear), and the TC3/4 is just to harsh of a car. Maybe the JRXS will be my next car, but it doesn't seem to be getting the type of response that it should have gotten. Maybe is really isn't that much better.

I think i'll wait it out and get some track time under my belt with my old car and then upgrade in about a year or so...
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #13460
Tech Elite

Default Yea...I here ya.

Our track director can hang with anything driving his XXX-S and there are some fast guys at the track. He drives a JRX-S now, but he just like to drive what everyones else dislikes. I see him going back to it because of the tweak and less giving parts. Lots of hackers out there in the field including me.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #13461
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Outdrives

I agree that the xxxs is a car that can hang with the newer models. I just installed a front spool diff for a test and yesterday when i was practicing before my race i clipped the barrier and noticed a clicking sound so i pulled my car of the track and had a look. I noticed that one of the outdrives was completely shattered so i took the cvd out and ran my race 3 wheel drive. During my race i got hit and it had shattered the other outdrive, which left me 2 wheel drive. I ran my next 2 races rear wheel drive which was not very fun at all. For my 4th race i switched my car to front wheel drive and it drove alot better. I made a couple of changes to my car for the finals and i placed 3rd out of 10 cars. Which i think was pretty good considering i was only running front wheel drive compared to the other cars running 4 wheel drive. I bet cars like the mission, tc4, 415 and other chassis.

I was also woundering is this normal for the outdrives to break on impact when running a spool up front? I was only running a 540 motor.

Thanks
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #13462
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
Our track director can hang with anything driving his XXX-S and there are some fast guys at the track. He drives a JRX-S now, but he just like to drive what everyones else dislikes. I see him going back to it because of the tweak and less giving parts. Lots of hackers out there in the field including me.
RCknight, what do you think about front one-way spool for xxx-s, do you think it give more benefit than one-way or spool?

I still have one xxx-sg in good condition, compare to 415ms chassis battery Cg, xxx-s battery Cg is slightly further from centerline, I forgot the detail number but its about 3-4 mm further.
This would come to balance issue, seems your cf chassis (+alum bulkheads) idea would be good answer
Faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #13463
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS
I agree that the xxxs is a car that can hang with the newer models. I just installed a front spool diff for a test and yesterday when i was practicing before my race i clipped the barrier and noticed a clicking sound so i pulled my car of the track and had a look. I noticed that one of the outdrives was completely shattered so i took the cvd out and ran my race 3 wheel drive. During my race i got hit and it had shattered the other outdrive, which left me 2 wheel drive. I ran my next 2 races rear wheel drive which was not very fun at all. For my 4th race i switched my car to front wheel drive and it drove alot better. I made a couple of changes to my car for the finals and i placed 3rd out of 10 cars. Which i think was pretty good considering i was only running front wheel drive compared to the other cars running 4 wheel drive. I bet cars like the mission, tc4, 415 and other chassis.

I was also woundering is this normal for the outdrives to break on impact when running a spool up front? I was only running a 540 motor.

Thanks
Please use Outdrive Saver Ring (see One-Way Outdrive Saver Ring)
Faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:15 AM   #13464
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiz
RCknight, what do you think about front one-way spool for xxx-s, do you think it give more benefit than one-way or spool?

I still have one xxx-sg in good condition, compare to 415ms chassis battery Cg, xxx-s battery Cg is slightly further from centerline, I forgot the detail number but its about 3-4 mm further.
This would come to balance issue, seems your cf chassis (+alum bulkheads) idea would be good answer
All depends on what you want to accomplish. Each have different charcteristics. Oneways have more off power steering and spools put down the power much like a locked diff. There are too many varables, so it would be hard to say what's best for you. Each have there pros and cons for certain track types. If your just messing around, get a oneway, because it lets the car's front wheel free spin for better topend speed. In racing, they each have their own place and require different setups.

Well it's not my idea, some here, some there, but Losi made one in the proto-type stage of the XXX-S. I only came up with moving the standoffs in or out for adjusting chassis flex. Back in the day when molded chassis were the thing for larger profit margins in mass production. Now people will pay big money for a TCs, it's all a marketing thing, it's easier to come out with the newest and greatest thing every year. My guess anyway. I'm not an engineer, but I think with a cf version of the XXX-S, it's not an issue getting the componets balanced. Many of the new TCs require weight on the battery side. So getting the weight centered from left to right on a cf version of the car should be simple with the XXX-S drivetrain. I think a cf version of the car would make sense and it would be a much simpler design. Less screws, upper decks, easier to fix a tweak problem. With this drivetrain you have the ability to desgin the chassis for balance when new products come out that require a redesign. Plus you have the ability to move the spur gear up/down like the RDX. If Losi would make what I mentioned, I predict the car would be a hit. Lets face it, we are lazy, people want something easy to wrench on, setup, and easy to drive. I don't think the Pros even like to wrench much. K.I.S.S. Just my two cents worth, but you read it here first.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:26 AM   #13465
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Faiz- Where can i find these outdrive saver rings?

Thanks
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #13466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS
Faiz- Where can i find these outdrive saver rings?

Thanks
Trinity use to sell blue aluminium outer sleeves for the XXX-S outdrives... Not sure if they still do...
Old 01-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #13467
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

what your problem might be as well is you might need to get some alluminum outdrives, instead of the composate ones. The alluminum ones hold up ALOT better and thats what I have and havent broken an outdrive or CVD since. Then if you do, you may want to put some pin cushins in, just so the alluminum wont chip from the load of the pins in the CVD.
Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #13468
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

if you are running mod get LCD's there a llil cheaper than MIP's just as good and more duable than anything else out there

but if ur a stock person get alum. b/c the lcd's are alittle heavy, but if u race mod that lil extra weight wont matter
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #13469
Tech Regular

From reading through this thread it seems that many people are using the Steel outdrives instead. Just to make sure they have the strength when running a spool.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #13470
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I guess I'm a spooltard..Just cant seem to get the hang of driving with a spool,I'm ok with a oneway of diff/diff.