R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2005, 11:42 PM   #13141
Tech Initiate

Default the XXX-S is one car that should not be discontinued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG
Back to the top....

I too have the same question since I own a G+...I as well sent an email to Losi asking if they had any tips on modding the chassis or if they plan on releasing an updated version that supports the newer cells. To me it would make sense that they do as I suspect that the XXX-S RTR will be around alot longer than the 3300 cells will be availible...

BTW I pulled a XXX-S RTR II off the shelf today and tried to stuff some GP 3700's in it....no go and by time you dremeled it the cells would likely be poking out the bottom more than would be acceptable....On a G+ it might be more of a doable thing but then your 100% committed to running nothing but 3700's....I can't afford that upgrade at the moment but maybe by time I can there might be an updated G+ chassis availible

BTW...the best way to convince Losi that releasing an updated chassis would be worthwhile is to SPEAK UP !! Let them know via email, forum posts and phone calls that the XXX-S is one car that should not be discontinued...in my mind Losi's new car might be great on the perfect tracks but for most of us weekend warriors that club race in not so perfect parking lots the G+, or even the RTR, is the best choice for an easy driving race winning low maintenance belt drive car

Just say no to dirty belts and crunchy diffs....buy a XXX-S

Guys, I'm agree with SteveG, XXX-S should not be discontinued...
Some improvement already in front of these cars..
as mentioned on Horizon hobby that before JRXS launched, there are Short Arm Version equipped XXX-S G on US Indoor warm up 2003 with incredible lap times (any picture of this car... Todd Hodge pls..) as platform test of Short Arm Concept on JRXS

These I believe can be done :
1. 3700 batt chassis
2. Short arm version XXX-S G+ as JRXS proto
3. myself also had "one-way front spool" (gave effect like 415 with front spool and one-way layshaft) custom made pulley adaptor w/2 one-way NSK bearing and 1 pass through shaft..
Red RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 AM   #13142
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know it is posted here somewhere, I just can't find it so here goes, has anyone used the IRS aluminum front spool set up in there XXX-S? And if so how did it work out?
Thanks for your input in advance.
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #13143
Tech Addict

XXXS still competitive?
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #13144
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
I know it is posted here somewhere, I just can't find it so here goes, has anyone used the IRS aluminum front spool set up in there XXX-S? And if so how did it work out?
Thanks for your input in advance.
Buck--It is fine BUT!!!!! Do Not run it with out using the supplied pin cushions!!!! If you do it will very soon let the steel pins eat into the aluminum outdrives. Last year a friend ran one with no problems at all and another guy tried to use it be he was SMARTER than us so he did not use the pin cushions!! LOL His spool laster bout 2 race days! So....It is a great piece and looks way cool just use the cushions and keep an eye on them for wear and you will be good to go!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #13145
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White
XXXS still competitive?
Locally (outdoor parking lot races in the summer), the XXX-S absolutely IS competitive! None of the JRXS sedans have shown up so far, but numerous X-Ray's do, and the A-mains are mostly made of of X-Ray's and XXX-S's and it's a pretty even fight every raceday! I haven't been out of the top 3 in Mod Sedan yet this season...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #13146
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White
XXXS still competitive?

in my opinion yes... but it does require "more" set-up to be competetive with the new kits, but on a certain track with a perfect set-up, the xxx-s may still be unbeatable...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #13147
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.Bear
Hi guys do any of you have a good setup for dusty concrete ? Fast smooth track but very slipery. What type of tyres etc. Thanks for any input.

i suggest the FF:

1. more rear toe-in, 3 degress
2. sorex tires
3. sorex b inserts
4. hard dish rims (tamiya, much more or yokomo)
5. red springs
6. front diff
7. mazda body
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:04 AM   #13148
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKYT
Buck--It is fine BUT!!!!! Do Not run it with out using the supplied pin cushions!!!! If you do it will very soon let the steel pins eat into the aluminum outdrives. Last year a friend ran one with no problems at all and another guy tried to use it be he was SMARTER than us so he did not use the pin cushions!! LOL His spool laster bout 2 race days! So....It is a great piece and looks way cool just use the cushions and keep an eye on them for wear and you will be good to go!

Brant
Thanks for the input Pooky!!!!
I picked one up for $20.00 off ebay. I will run the pin cushions and order a set of back ups.
Good lookin out P.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #13149
Tech Regular

how many teeth is the blue spur gear for the xxxs
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #13150
Tech Apprentice

Default off topic

what do you guys think of this car do you like it i thinking of getting one but i want to get some options first..

thanks mike
racer030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #13151
Tech Addict

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc3od
how many teeth is the blue spur gear for the xxxs
Old 06-11-2005, 01:31 AM   #13152
Tech Initiate

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer030
what do you guys think of this car do you like it i thinking of getting one but i want to get some options first..

thanks mike
I run my xxxs in 540 class and have been very happy with it ( very forgiving car ), great car for club racing. If you bye one i think you will be happy with it. The car can keep up with most of the new ones if not beat them. mine was a rtr kit that came with a Excellent JR radio,19 turn and a cheap but good novak speedy.
Y.Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #13153
Tech Rookie

Cool

Bear,

I just bought the RTR 2 version. What was the first thing you changed on yours? Thanks
Cool Guy Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #13154
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Guy Racing
Bear,

I just bought the RTR 2 version. What was the first thing you changed on yours? Thanks
I'm not Bear but try and find some XXXSG+ shocks. They have titanium nitride shafts, are threaded and the fronts are shorter making them more adjustable.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #13155
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Guy Racing
Bear,

i have changed very little , i got the black belt kit,softer springs, and gears to suit 540 class ( 86 spur / 35,37 pinion ) and a couple of sets of different degree rear hubs i also surgest trying to free up the bearings a bit. Ive only raced it about 4 rounds on carpet with foams and im getting it quiker every time . I raced it in a 2hr enduro and it was execellent. But get the black belt kit for sure.
Y.Bear is offline   Reply With Quote