R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #13051
Tech Rookie

When I set my tweek I wind one shock down and the other side up the same amount, that keeps the ride hight about the same.
Eddie
Electraflyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #13052
Tech Adept

Post tweak/setup

Ok I'll tweak on it some more tonight.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Bill: you don't use a sway bar? Most of the team driver setups are using sway bars. So do you use heavier shock oil and spring

My setup is very close to Bobby Flack Trackside. The only different is I'm using number 2 hole for camber link and no sway bar in back.
Bobby Flack uses shock Limiters, not sure what that is. I'm just using the standard threaded shocks.
Cup of Losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #13053
Tech Regular

limiters are placed either inside or outside the shock to limit downtravel. used to set droop instead of the droop screws
dstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #13054
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: tweak/setup

Quote:
Originally posted by Cup of Losi
Bill: you don't use a sway bar? Most of the team driver setups are using sway bars. So do you use heavier shock oil and spring
As of now, I run Expert Stock Expert with my XXX-S and feel I can achieve desireable suspension tuning done without sway bars. I have them in my tool box; but, that's where they stay for the most part.

When it comes to the XXX-S, I believe that Todd Hodge is more of sway bar user than Matt Francis. Matt has been a bigger influence on my setups than Todd. Part of that is because Matt lives in NorCal and I run into him fairly often. Both of them provide great setup advice for we mortals.

For the new JRX-S, I will again buy the sets of sway bars. Whether I ever use them is yet to be determined...

Good luck with your racing!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #13055
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: tweak/setup

Quote:
Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
As of now, I run Expert Stock Expert with my XXX-S and feel I can achieve desireable suspension tuning done without sway bars. I have them in my tool box; but, that's where they stay for the most part.

When it comes to the XXX-S, I believe that Todd Hodge is more of sway bar user than Matt Francis. Matt has been a bigger influence on my setups than Todd. Part of that is because Matt lives in NorCal and I run into him fairly often. Both of them provide great setup advice for we mortals.

For the new JRX-S, I will again buy the sets of sway bars. Whether I ever use them is yet to be determined...

Good luck with your racing!
You should always test with sway bars though. I always try them when tuning my car for each new track layout. You don't need to practice a whole five minutes with them, just a few laps to see if you go faster and feel better.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #13056
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: tweak/setup

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
You should always test with sway bars though. I always try them when tuning my car for each new track layout. You don't need to practice a whole five minutes with them, just a few laps to see if you go faster and feel better.
Hey James--give me a for instance when sway bars feel good to you. I'm like Bill in that I have tried sway bars but they only seem to help me on carpet. All the other times I have used them I find later that another adjustment like springs or oil help as much and make me more consistant..I guess what I mean is to me, at least on asphalt, sway bars almost seem like a Band-Aide. Your opinion?

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #13057
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: tweak/setup

Quote:
James,

As usual, I cannot find any flaw in your logic. Will be a whole lot simpler with the JRX-S. Thanks for the advice.

Bill
Old 04-09-2005, 12:03 AM   #13058
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: tweak/setup

Quote:
Originally posted by POOKYT
Hey James--give me a for instance when sway bars feel good to you. I'm like Bill in that I have tried sway bars but they only seem to help me on carpet. All the other times I have used them I find later that another adjustment like springs or oil help as much and make me more consistant..I guess what I mean is to me, at least on asphalt, sway bars almost seem like a Band-Aide. Your opinion?

Brant
I will mess with front sway bars to limit the amount of steering I want entering and exiting the turn also sometimes to tune the reaction of the car. I will mess with the rear sway bars if I want to free the rear of the car up to give more steering, I also feel sometimes the rear sway bar can help carry more corner speed and square up faster on exit.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #13059
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tweak/setup

Quote:
I will mess with front sway bars to limit the amount of steering I want entering and exiting the turn also sometimes to tune the reaction of the car. I will mess with the rear sway bars if I want to free the rear of the car up to give more steering, I also feel sometimes the rear sway bar can help carry more corner speed and square up faster on exit.
Gotcha!! Thanks

Brant

Old 04-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #13060
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to kevin2

does anyone have a setup for dusty concrete?
kevin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #13061
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin2
Kevin I don't have one per say but I would recomend soft springs and some type of soft compound grooved tire.

Brant

Old 04-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #13062
Tech Adept

What stock motor and gearing would you guys recommend to run in a XXXS on a tight, outdoor, asphalt track?
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #13063
Tech Elite

I would start with a 31 tooth on a 128 spur. Or if you are running 48 pitch then use a 22 toth on a 90 ( orange) spur. Go up or down a toth at a time to get the right ratio. I recomend EA Motorpsorts motors because of his tuning abilities and the motors ROCK out of the package. Use either the Monster or the ROAR 2. Typically you will gear the ROAR motors 1 tooth lower than the Monsters. Hope this helps.

Brant

Old 04-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #13064
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin2
i would just say screw grip and get hard springs and drift around those corners.
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:20 AM   #13065
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply Pookyt, I'll give it a try. I am running 64p gears btw.

I've ran Monster HP motors before but I'm concerned about how hot they get. Do you think they are OK to come off the track at 160 -170 degrees?
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote