R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #13021
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Question about one way set up?

Only had my xxx-s g+ for about 4 months, I've raced about 5 or 6 times and won the A main in stock at my local track the last two times. I'm getting the set up pretty close, right now I'm fighting some understeer on power exiting the corners. Car is great getting in, rotates good, just not enough on power steering when exiting the corner. I currently have diffs in the front and rear and I am putting a one way in the front for this week, will this fix my understeer problem on power like I think it will? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #13022
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to CWank23 Send a message via Yahoo to CWank23

I have a questions about the most recent RC CAR ACTION where they reveiw the XXS RTRII. It says something about how to get free speed: it says like to reposition the Shunts? What are shunts i know they are on the motor but how would i do this? Anyone else how has seen the article can help me out and clearify what i am trying to explain. Thanks in advance.
CWank23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:04 AM   #13023
Tech Apprentice

does any one kno whether i can use the xxx-s cvd' on a street weapon, so that i can use other manufacturer wheels??

thanks
losi-sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 AM   #13024
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jay5668

Quote:
Originally posted by CWank23
I have a questions about the most recent RC CAR ACTION where they reveiw the XXS RTRII. It says something about how to get free speed: it says like to reposition the Shunts? What are shunts i know they are on the motor but how would i do this? Anyone else how has seen the article can help me out and clearify what i am trying to explain. Thanks in advance.
CWank23...the shunts are the littles wires that are attached to the brushes...if they are getting hung up from being folded over the hoods like the article says..it could be taking the slack out of these little wires & preventing the brushes from reaching the comm...you want the brushes to always touch the comm. As the brushes wear down from usage, they get shorter, & if they are shorter & the shunts are hung up, it's not going to allow the shorter brushes to move in & touch the comm. Hope this helps. You can bend those wires into other positions...try it & see if you get a difference?

Last edited by jay5668; 03-29-2005 at 06:18 AM.
jay5668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #13025
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by CWank23
cut off the screw mounting tabs and solder them directly to the brush hood
karlo511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #13026
Tech Addict

Default NON-oneway or spool Setups for Asphalt

Virtually all the setups posted for open Asphalt tracks call for a spool or a one way.

From what I have read, spools are very hard on CVDs and more difficult to drive. One ways are a lot more difficult to drive.

Since my still learning to drive well, I think I will stick with a front diff.

I need a setup for using a front diff on asphalt, I did not find one on the Losi site.

or
I need to know what adjustments to make to spool or oneway setups.
-----------------------------------------------------
Best I can tell, asphalt setups generally do not use sway bars, or the offset rear hubs, they do use low roll center and 2f in front and low roll center in back with either 0r or 2r, and the 4% carrier in the front, shock oil and springs are different on every setup.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #13027
Tech Regular

http://www.teamlosi.com/pdfs/setups/...RR_parking.pdf
http://www.teamlosi.com/pdfs/setups/XXX_S/XXXS_Matt.pdf
karlo511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #13028
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to tc3stocker Send a message via Yahoo to tc3stocker

Quote:
Originally posted by dstyles
i tried looking there earlier but couldn't find it. is it a xxx-s specific outdrive or non-specific steel outdrive for losi vehicles.

yeah, i'm building a spool
i came across the one from irrgang, but they're hard-coated aluminum.
I am using super hard coated aluminum outdrives from HG. I don't think you can get them anymore though. They are super pimp if you can !!!

imjonah- you can still use my set-up if you are running a front diff. The spool I have found is easier to drive than the diff, and also it gives you more forward torque. And if you spend the extra 20 or so on the steel cvd's you will never notice the wear. By the way, there will never be a diff going out and that is one less thing you would have to worry about. If you are bound and determined not to run a spool, then you can move the front shocks out one and run blue springs all the way around, you will not need the rear swaybar either, also you will want to run -1.5mm of rear camber to help the rear end stick more.
tc3stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #13029
Tech Fanatic

The reason you don't find many diff set-ups is because people have smartened up and started running spools. They are the fastest and most consistent to drive. The first set-up that was posted (Ron Rossetti's) would be way off. The second one is closer but they are both for low turn mod, so you will have to tweak them for stock or 19t. The one I posted is for stock.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #13030
Tech Addict

Default Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by imjonah; 03-29-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:31 PM   #13031
Tech Elite

[QUOTE]Originally posted by losi-sw
[B]does any one kno whether i can use the xxx-s cvd' on a street weapon, so that i can use other manufacturer wheels??

No the XXXS are longer. If you only want to run the regular hex drive wheels then I would get the conversion kit made be RPM for the Street Weapon. It comes with the larger size hex's and the proper offset to run the more common wheels out today.

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #13032
Tech Fanatic

This is if you want to run a front diff, it may be a little off but it should be close.

Front Suspension
Toe: 0
Ride Height: 5.5mm
Camber: -1.5mm
Shock Oil: 40 wt
Shock Piston: 56
Shock Spring: blue
Droop: 3mm
Pivot Support: 2F
Arm Spacing: forward
Camber Ballstud: black
Shock Mount: 4
Camber Mount: 3
Caster: 4
Carrier: 4 deg.
Ackerman: back
Front Drive: diff (tighter than rear diff)
Pulleys: 42 F 41 R
Roll Center: low

Rear Suspension
Toe: ?
Ride Height: 5mm
Camber: -1.5mm
Hub Carrier: 0 deg
Shock Oil: 40 wt
Shock Piston: 56
Shock Spring: blue
Droop: 4mm
Pivot Support: 2R
Arm Spacing: middle
Camber Ballstud: black
Shock Mount: 3
Camber Mount: 2A
Arm Shock Mount: outside
Arm Hub Mount: standard
Roll Center: low

Spur gear: Neon Yellow 88 tooth 48 pitch
Pinion: 22 tooth 48 pitch
Body: TL Alfa
Motor: EA Motorsports Binary 2
Tires: Take-Off CS-27
Battery Position: forward
Belt: yellow with every other tooth snipped
Note: belt run very very loose, Trinity MF Al. Hexes, long steering turnbuckle

Also, you may want to try AE shocks if you have them, I am going to try them with Tamiya White springs on the front and Tamiya Blue springs on the rear. With 40 wt oil on all four corners.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #13033
Tech Elite

Default Re: Question about one way set up?

Quote:
Originally posted by polesitter61
Only had my xxx-s g+ for about 4 months, I've raced about 5 or 6 times and won the A main in stock at my local track the last two times. I'm getting the set up pretty close, right now I'm fighting some understeer on power exiting the corners. Car is great getting in, rotates good, just not enough on power steering when exiting the corner. I currently have diffs in the front and rear and I am putting a one way in the front for this week, will this fix my understeer problem on power like I think it will? Thanks in advance.
A one-way is different to drive than a diff. Be sure to have enough practice time to get used to it if you choose to run it. Also, in general if your having a sight push out of the turn you can try to Increase the rear toe in as this will help the car to " finish" the turn.

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #13034
Tech Addict

Default Thanks tc3stocker

Thanks for the addtional details, that was precsiely the information I needed. I think I will go with the spool after reading your responce. I have a bunch of steel outdrives sitting around so that should be no problem.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #13035
Tech Rookie

Default Wheel wrench?

I have no tools for my XXX-S. What size is the wheel nut? The sockets I have seem to be too big or too small.
Also what inserts are people running?(Soft,med,hard). We run on a very smooth slick track.
Thanks Eddie
Electraflyit is offline   Reply With Quote