R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-10-2004, 11:53 PM   #12346
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BadBoyRC
Like barry baker says it ain't the arrow dude! its the Indian!
Huh? Who's Barry Baker?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #12347
Tech Rookie

Default slow slow slow...

Slow as in just going down the street straight my friends stock HPI sprint can keep up with it so im guessing like 25 - 26 mph. Pretty dang slow and makes me mad because i spent 270 on the car rtr and 40 on the motor and 80 on batteries and he spent like 220 all togeather and his is just as fast.

Im just kinda dissapointed because everyone on RC zone was talking like this motor is the bomb and ill be happy with just throwing in the motor. Ill go to hobby town 2day and grab a coulpe bigger pinions and see what that does.

also i cut my belt - not sure if it made a difference but now insted of brakes i just have that crappy belt slipping sound that everyone hates.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:44 AM   #12348
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

If you're just beating around car parks the difference between the two cars is minimal, the extra money spent on something like the XXX-S is to get advantage when you're racing on the track.

Having said that, im not sure exactly what it is, but I was racing against a XXX-S RTR with my XXX-S G+ and my G+ was much much quicker everywhere in the corners and on the straights even though we had a similar motor (itsc stocks)..
Old 10-11-2004, 05:49 AM   #12349
Tech Elite

Default Re: slow slow slow...

Quote:
Originally posted by D.J.
Slow as in just going down the street straight my friends stock HPI sprint can keep up with it so im guessing like 25 - 26 mph. Pretty dang slow and makes me mad because i spent 270 on the car rtr and 40 on the motor and 80 on batteries and he spent like 220 all togeather and his is just as fast.

Im just kinda dissapointed because everyone on RC zone was talking like this motor is the bomb and ill be happy with just throwing in the motor. Ill go to hobby town 2day and grab a coulpe bigger pinions and see what that does.

also i cut my belt - not sure if it made a difference but now insted of brakes i just have that crappy belt slipping sound that everyone hates.
DJ--What motor, gear, and battery are you running now? Also, are you running the stock RTR speed control?

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:55 AM   #12350
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

DJ

For what you seem to want to do, I would recommend just getting a Novak 5800 brushless motor/speed control combo.

It will be way faster than a Stock or 19 turn motor and requires no service to maintain. Only problem is the cost at $225-250; unless, you try eBay or run into someone that wants to sell one cheap.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #12351
Tech Rookie

Default Re: slow slow slow...

Slow? Hmm... It's all relative, but I have the RTR, and in my opinion, is it's not so slow? Out of the box, the 19turn motor that is comes with sux... I put in a Stock Monster motor, and that made a big difference... Are u running the stock tires? If so change stock tires to CS-27 slicks... BIG difference, could be that stock tires are just slipping and your not get power to ground especially with that motor... also put a black belt... that made a difference... took out the motor connectors and direct solder to motor... that made a difference... Check the tension you have on your belt... should be very loose... make sure there's some play between your spur and pinion...

My very first race was @ HobbyTown Novice Class - I ran the RTR and Qualified 2nd finished 2nd... next race @ HobbyTown w/RTR, TQ and finished 1st... keep in mine that the Novice class @ both races had 15 entries... so I don't think the XXX-S RTR is slow... you may need to do some work to make it run faster, but remember the XXX-S is a proven car, and the it's capable with keeping up with anything...

ZoomZoom
Quote:
Originally posted by D.J.

zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:51 PM   #12352
Tech Rookie

Default sloooooooooow

FYI again I dont race - this car is just for fun.

My motor is a Reedy Quad Mag 19 t.

I get the best traction out of HPI X Radials. (belive it or not cause our streets are too dirty for slicks.)

My gear mesh is good.

I cut every other tooth off my belt.

My belt is nice and loose.

I use 3000 mah NiMh peaked with a Piriana digital.

I took out all berrings and degreased them.

I got a new pinion today a 26 - 2 more then i had b4.

---------------------STILL SLOW!!!-----------------------------

What do I do? I want it to be fast. I want to not be in control if i pull the trigger all the way back. I want to have to get $100 worth of parts if i sneeze while im driving. Well not exactely but fast is good. Thanks...
Old 10-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #12353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

With a quad mag 19t I ran 41/128. So you'd need to be about at a 28 with the RTR kit.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #12354
Tech Rookie

Default By the way...

I also got Deans WN 12ga wire and direct soldered the motor and ESC.

Thanks for the help guys. Please keep the ideas comming....
Old 10-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #12355
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidAlford
With a quad mag 19t I ran 41/128. So you'd need to be about at a 28 with the RTR kit.
I should get a 28 tooth pin ?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #12356
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

first of all what ESC u running? if u can change the profile then do that and give that a try. Next try to see if u have a hung brush on the motor. That could cause the car to not have the power. Check to see if theres anything binding anywhere diffs, etc.

Hope this helps

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #12357
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Those Quad mag 19ts have to be geared to the moon. My final drive is like 5 something.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #12358
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
first of all what ESC u running? if u can change the profile then do that and give that a try. Next try to see if u have a hung brush on the motor. That could cause the car to not have the power. Check to see if theres anything binding anywhere diffs, etc.

Hope this helps

My Esc is a GM V3R I think it resets every time i plug the battery in.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:24 PM   #12359
Tech Rookie

Default slow

Ill grab a 28 and a 30 tooth and see what happens.

As far as my diffs and stuff - i think there pretty good if i take the motor out and spin the spur it actually spinns for like 2 - 3 seconds...

BTW whats a hung brush?

I would say that with my new 26t pinion i maybe am hitting like 28 mph I want to be in the mid to high 30s if possable...

Thanks D.J.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #12360
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

hung brush is when the brush on the motor is hung up. It doesnt get the full contact to the comm. It sometimes touches it for a few seconds then it doesnt have contact. What you can do is then try droping the car mabye about knee height and see if the brush is free again. We do this at my local track so its ok to do it. This usually frees the brush up. Then if that doesnt work try to get someont to cut the comm for you and put some new brushes in it.

If you have any more questions PM me and ill answere them
Hope this helps you understand more.

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote