R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2001, 05:48 AM   #1201
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.
RacerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 08:42 AM   #1202
Rog
Tech Apprentice

Is the Buds the same as the BRP front bumper?

http://www.brpracing.com/brp_tc.html

Also, someone mentioned that the aluminum CVD bones are MIP part #1329. Has anyone found just the bones? Horizon has the whole CVD but I don't feel like paying $33 when all I need are the bones.

Thanks
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 04:22 PM   #1203
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Solid TQ and win at Cleveland today for the car.

Driven by David Spashett.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:31 PM   #1204
Tech Adept

Get ready. We might see a XXX-S Spashett edition?
MauiBuilt Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 06:55 PM   #1205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
Yes, that's the one. BRP = Bud's Racing Products

Trips
Old 11-26-2001, 02:41 AM   #1206
Tech Elite

Greetings y'all from the So Cal area....new to the XXXS, other car is a TC3. I finally read threw all forty pages of posts here, and saw one regarding if anyone had used upside down shocks on the car. After building the thing the other night, I noticed the problem in getting the front shocks to feel right at about 5 mm ride height. I noticed that if you held the shock upside down, the damping felt much better, because it allowed the piston to sit down in the oil, and not the air. So I figured what the heck, I know people have done it with other cars, so I gave it a shot. I had to space out the shock from the arm and shock tower a bit, but at the same time trying to retain the shock's original angle. Once it cleared the arm it felt much better. It comes close to the wheels at the steering endpoints, but if you use TC3 hex wheel adapters with 24 mm wheels, it clears. This also spaces the wheelbase out to about 190 mm (it fits perfectly inside my 190 mm Stratus). It also lowers the CG abit, and seemed to provide a bit of extra height adjustment somehow, possibly by way of pushing the shock away from the arm a bit. At the track I didn't notice any ill handling effects, although admittedly it was my first outing with the car. I was very impressed. My lap times were near the top of our class with a box stock car, except for the above mentioned mods. I then found the post regarding the upside down shock thing, so I was hoping someone else might have tried it also, but nobody else replied. Anyone care to comment? The shocks don't feel so good in the rear upside down however.... thanks
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 05:39 AM   #1207
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Yesterday we drove an 800 rounds race. Our team drove the xxx-s to 7th place, Which isn't to bad if you include the change of: one broken arme, one broken front spindle and one steering block which already lost 3 times the screws, in addition to the normal batterie and tire changes needed.

The parts breaking really are a problem, but I still think that Losi has a problem making the graphite. All my parts continue to brake in the same spot and you'll see air bubbles inside, which offcourse does not make the parts any stronger.
Arnoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 07:11 AM   #1208
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

That's why I hope somebody wil come up with a aluminum or nylon (RPM) front c-hub.....
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 09:25 AM   #1209
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog

http://www.brpracing.com/brp_tc.html

Also, someone mentioned that the aluminum CVD bones are MIP part #1329. Has anyone found just the bones? Horizon has the whole CVD but I don't feel like paying $33 when all I need are the bones.

Thanks
The MIP part number 1329 is for the street weapon. There is a part number for the steel bones at $8.00, losa9970.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 10:21 AM   #1210
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kevink2
I then found the post regarding the upside down shock thing, so I was hoping someone else might have tried it also, but nobody else replied. Anyone care to comment?
The only worry I'd have with upside down shocks is the increase in unsprung weight. Instead of just the shock shaft and piston moving with the suspension arm, now the whole shock body, spring, and oil is moving. I suppose it's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils... the extra unsprung weight versus the shock piston working in air instead of oil.

I went with shortened shock shafts and eyelets to get the piston down out of any air bubbles, it's worked great for me so far.

Trips
Old 11-26-2001, 03:59 PM   #1211
Tech Elite

Trips,
What are the effects of extra unsprung weight on the front suspension? I'm know motorcycle shocks are some times reversed...I'll eventually get the shorter shafts, but in the mean time, it's an interesting subject to me. Thanks.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 05:04 PM   #1212
Tech Elite

Supposedly, reducing unsprung weight allows the suspension to more easily follow the track surface, it's about inertia... when the tire, rim, arm, hub, etc. start moving upward on a bump, the lighter they all are, the easier it is for them to stop at the top of the bump and head back down. If they're real heavy they want to keep on going up as they crest the bump.

I don't know how big an effect it would have had on my Losi, but I know that I read an interbiew with Gil Jr. about the design of the car and he mentioned that their early prototypes used pivot ball suspension and he felt the pivot ball style suspension was too much unsprung weight hence the switch back to c-hubs for the production cars.

If it's working for you I wouldn't worry about it too much... those shock bodies really aren't heavy anyway.

Trips
Old 11-26-2001, 06:10 PM   #1213
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Anyone know which 190 mm. Protoform touring car body is shortest in length?

Last edited by webspinner; 11-26-2001 at 08:57 PM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 06:51 PM   #1214
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Raced my Losi for the first time last night....

I love that car (in a way a guy can love a car)

Soooo much better than anything I have ever driven!!!
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 07:24 PM   #1215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

im about to get a losi xxx-s in a few days. what pinion/spur combo do you recommend for stock motors (short and long tracks)? for mod (will be using a 10x2 mod for long tracks)? also, what does the under/over drive pulleys do? finally, how's the durability of the parts, especially the arms and the belt? thanks for any info! i apologize in advance if these questions were previously asked in this thread, i havent followed this in a while and it is quite long.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote