R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #11881
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to PipeMagnet Send a message via Yahoo to PipeMagnet
Default Running on Carpet

Hello. I am used to running my xxx-s GP on asphalt and concrete, but I have never run on carpet. Our local facility will be switching to carpet soon and none of us have run a sedan on carpet before. The track will be large and the surface will be brand-new ozite. What preparations should be done to my car to make it a carpet ripping machine? Please give me all tips, hints, and suggestions that a carpet newbie could use. I am pretty experienced at offroad racing but onroad is still kind of new to me. I will be running mod on foams.......can you point me towards a good starting setup? Are any posted on losi's site worth using, and if so, which ones? Please tell me ANYTHING I may need to know. Thank you very much.
PipeMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #11882
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to PipeMagnet Send a message via Yahoo to PipeMagnet

ttt!
PipeMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #11883
Tech Master

go to the losi site and use hodges or flacks carpet setups listed there. hodges setups seem to be the easiest to drive for the average racer.

E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #11884
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Running on Carpet

Quote:
Originally posted by PipeMagnet
Hello. I am used to running my xxx-s GP on asphalt and concrete, but I have never run on carpet. Our local facility will be switching to carpet soon and none of us have run a sedan on carpet before. The track will be large and the surface will be brand-new ozite. What preparations should be done to my car to make it a carpet ripping machine? Please give me all tips, hints, and suggestions that a carpet newbie could use. I am pretty experienced at offroad racing but onroad is still kind of new to me. I will be running mod on foams.......can you point me towards a good starting setup? Are any posted on losi's site worth using, and if so, which ones? Please tell me ANYTHING I may need to know. Thank you very much.
Flacks set-up with purple springs will prolly get you close. You may need a bit of a softer set-up due to the low bite of the new carpet!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #11885
Tech Regular

i am going to a small outdoor track this week and im putting a stock motor in does anyone have a good setup and gearing for a hellfire or mvp
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #11886
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard

I'm running 28/90 on my mvp on a very tight small track.
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #11887
Tech Regular

have you done anything special to yours
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #11888
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
I The motor actually got better as the night went on so you can imagine what happened to everyone on the straight... I made Lex look like he was running a micro motor. I broke in the main though. The next time out I will bring my brighter painted bodies.
Wait a second - you? Stlnlst? DIDN'T WIN?

WHOOOOAATTTT??

J/K - were you testing the C2 you were talking about?

-G
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #11889
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin
Wait a second - you? Stlnlst? DIDN'T WIN?

WHOOOOAATTTT??

J/K - were you testing the C2 you were talking about?

-G
No...that's this weekend. I was running a Kisbey 19turn in a D5 can. Are you racing this weekend? If it's not 105+ it should be a fun day out.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #11890
Tech Addict

Default Chassis setup questions

I have an XXX-S (not graphite).

1. In order to get a 5mm ride height in the front I have to have both L and R shock collars right at the very top of the shock,

[I believe I have the stock .36 shafts on all four shocks, I am using the OF pivot block in the top holes and the stock roll center blocks. I am using the 4 percent carriers, with the arms forward]

2. on the setup sheets the list
Caster
_ Kickup
_ Anti-dive
_ Carrier

I thought that the combination of pivot block, pivot block placement(upper or lower holes), and carrier determined kickup and anti-dive and there were not seperate adjusments for those.

3. Is there a way of determining what thickness of the anti-sway bar you have. My front sway bar slides from left to right and right to left at the point it attaches to the front of the diff covers is that normal?

4. Are the setups which include a one-way of any use for those people not using a one way? What about setup sheets using a mod motor for those running stock?

5. I have replaced bushings with bearings in the steering links, how important is it to get rid of the reamaining slop in the steering? It bothers me that people list front toe out using decimal point accuracy 1.5 percent, and when I measure it there seems to be 2 percent slop either way, same with camber.

Thanks in advance,
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #11891
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard
Default Re: Chassis setup questions

2. Changing the kickup and antidive changes the feel of a car. For example, a car with -2 antidive, 6 carrier, and a 0F block will feel different than a car with no anti-dive,4 degree carrier, and 0F block, even though the total caster is the same.
3.Measure the diameter of it with a caliper.
5.It may be your servo saver. Mine had plenty of slop in it new. Check your ball cups too. Which guage are you using? If it's the RPM than you'll probably get about 2 degrees of variation no matter how slop-free your steering is.
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #11892
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

you can use the short shocks too
BadBoyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #11893
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to crazymechmow
Default re carpet setups

ok heres a question that has probably been answered on here bofore but can't find it since I'm going to be new to racing on carpet I was wondering about the slipper set up from the xxx4 that some of the guys are suspose to be running on there cars is it needed for the carpet setups when they are hooking up so hard or what?
crazymechmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #11894
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to crazymechmow
Default re chassis

ok here is another off the wall question we have been milling out test chassis to lighten it up a little and have milled out the sides of the tunnel know that it could never be run outside before but at this point if I want to run outside I'll buy another G+ car or use the other car that the wife races. anyhow were trying this because a lot of the guys are switching to the pro4 car because of the losi being heavyer do you thinnk it is going to add a lot of flex to the chassis being the graphite chassis is more ridgid than the plastic one? I'm going to stick with the Losi I've been running them since the early 90's and have had great sucess with them I've tried associated and just couldn;t make them work for me or I should say the associated off road cars, the TC3 was ok but switched back over to the losi this year it is just Smooooooother. I've got a ton more questions but have forgot them at the moment I've only been running onroad seriously for like 2-3 years now most of the time it's been offroad.
crazymechmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #11895
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Re: re carpet setups

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechmow
ok heres a question that has probably been answered on here bofore but can't find it since I'm going to be new to racing on carpet I was wondering about the slipper set up from the xxx4 that some of the guys are suspose to be running on there cars is it needed for the carpet setups when they are hooking up so hard or what?

crazymechmow- no slippers in touring cars, in fact, they are illegal for sanctioned events (ie, ROAR Regional Race). You really don't want or need one with carpet racing, assuming you are running on foams, where traction is usually high.

Reedy / RC America/XRayUSA / Hudy / Avid / JConcepts / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote