Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 07-09-2004, 07:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Actually Associated also has the aluminum versions. The problem I had with the graphite ones is by the time I had cranked down the locknut to get some nylon on the axle threads, the hex had bent the axle pin and pushed itself right against the axle bearing. I only use the AE hexes for carpet, Dynamite for everywhere else...
Old 07-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

i put tc3 axles on the car and this allows the nylon part of the lock nut to have threads to lock on to... havent tried it with the stock spacers yet tho, it should be ok on those as well...
Old 07-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Receiver / ESC Placement

This has probably been covered in this thread, but I can't figure out how to search within a thread, and I can't read through 384 pages of posts without pulling my hair out...

Most of the pictures I see of XXX-Ss have the Rx just behind the steering servo and the ESC behind the motor - but, I read somewhere (don't recall where) that putting the ESC in front of the motor was better for balance.

What do you think is the best placement?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've seen guys running both and they always seem to end up with the ESC back behind motor. I'm sure it give better ballance but I've seen some guys have glitching problems with that layout and I've also seen guys that just didn't like the way it felt.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:12 PM
TLRacing

Default Re: ONE WAY

Originally posted by woozer71
Hi guys
I put a one way in my losi about 2 months ago. I have ran it about 6 times. The last time I ran the car the left hub internal bearing was totally destroyed. I was wondering if someone else has had the same problem and if so how did they fix it? And what would cause it?
Also another note on the oneways. Take your Xacto knife and gently score the outer diameter where the support bearing sits. Then press in the bearing. It should now fit nice and snug. Then score the oneway outdrive where the inner diameter of the support bearing will ride. Now press in the outdrive into the oneway hub. It should be a snug fit. This allows you to not run the oneway springs and keeps the outdrives from pulling out during a run. I think what happens is that when your running your oneway and you hit a bump, curb, road dome, it compresses upward and breaks out the plastic cage of the oneway bearing. I have done this to all my oneway's and have not had any problems.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:15 PM
TLRacing

Default Re: Receiver / ESC Placement

Originally posted by rctoyguy
This has probably been covered in this thread, but I can't figure out how to search within a thread, and I can't read through 384 pages of posts without pulling my hair out...

Most of the pictures I see of XXX-Ss have the Rx just behind the steering servo and the ESC behind the motor - but, I read somewhere (don't recall where) that putting the ESC in front of the motor was better for balance.

What do you think is the best placement?
By moving the ESC in front of the motor the car it gives you more of a 50/50 front to rear weight balance. By running the ESC behing the motor you do not have a equal amount of weight on the opposite side. I also felt that my car drove more balanced.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

T. Hodge - you felt your car drove more balanced which way? I can't tell which way you mean - Can I assume you mean with it in front of the motor?

Sounds like this is a user preference kind of thing...

*edit* - when all else fails, read the book

The book shows the ESC behind the motor. I currently have the Rx on top of the servo, with the ESC between it and the motor - I plan on adding a personal transponder in the next week or so, and I don't know where to mount it with this setup - looks like most folks mount the transponder on top of the servo.

Last edited by rctoyguy; 07-09-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
TLRacing

rctoyguy-I felt the car was balanced more front to rear. My car felt to have less steering but the laptimes were the same. I agree that this is a personal preference.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Sorry to beat it to death - but I still don't know if you mean the car drove more balanced with the ESC in front of or behind the motor --- that is what I meant.

Based on my most recent edit of the post above, I guess I will move the ESC and RX to make room for the transponder - unless someone gives me a good enough reason to do differently.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

He means it felt better with the ESC in front. You can probably fit the transponder on the tunnel between it and the ESC.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I liked my car with the receiver and speedo in front of the motor, but I could not get ride of a radio glitch. I can't say that caused it, but once I moved the speedo to the back of the car and put the receiver up on end I've been glitch free ever since. Just an fyi in case you try the new layout and have glitch problems.

racer-oZ

ps... Todd I may come up and introduce myself at the mod nats in Portland, I'll likely be looking for some setup tips once you get her all dialed in. I'm racing mod and 19turn, don't worry I'll get out of your way in mod.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Cool info on the oneway. I know here locally that the spool has taken over because of the impression that the oneways were fragile....bet that tip would help a bunch.

Racer- kinko trip go well????

Jeff
Old 07-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jeff, yes I did good at Kinkos. lol.... hey by the way you need to check the Topeka thread and tell John what engine you bought for your nitro.

racer-oZ
Old 07-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Pivot blocks revisisted.....

What will using the rear pivot supports on the front end of the car do for me ?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Oneway diff....

What will using a oneway diff with the above pivot block swap be like ?

I'd like to keep the amount of steering going in that I have now (or even gain a little) but would definately like a little more on power steering...

Last edited by SteveG; 07-09-2004 at 07:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.