R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2001, 07:43 AM   #1126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The first carpet race was wednesday and the XXX-S won the mod class driven by bigdog (not big dog racing) He is a local Speedworld racer. He didn't do anything different from his out door set up. He even used the same compound tire's that we run for night racing. Take off 27 up front and Take off 22 in the rear. I couldn't make it for that race but I'll be there on Saturday for my first run on the rug with the XXX-S. I've had great results running Matt Francis' set up on flowing tracks so that's what I will start out with. I also plan to try out Todd's set up from the Xtreme article. There were about 50 racer's there on Wednesday so I expect double or more than that on saturday. Triple if it rains. Bigdog used the 90 spur with 8-10 turn mods. I plan on using the 89 spur or 64P. Good luck to the rest of you this weekend
Old 11-16-2001, 12:02 PM   #1127
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

STLNLST :

Those Take offs bigdog was running, were they the stock inserts or something different?
rodneybarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 02:44 PM   #1128
Tech Adept

Yea, I was suprised my XXX-S outdoor setup worked great on the rug. The setup I've been running is basically the MF one on the Losi site. And BTW, I tried my old Pits from last season and the new Pit D24Rs, both of which worked well, although in mod they seemed to go off a bit towards the end... but then again it was probably my driving that went off... heh.
seamus0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 09:20 PM   #1129
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

do you think the new pit 20 = the old 20, or are they softer, the same with the 24-25???? also, if anyone has a rear sway bar kit for the street weaponn, it works great on the front of the xxx-s
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 09:36 PM   #1130
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

hey all,
i'm running some of the losi threaded shocks on my car. i can't seem to set them up so that there is no air inside. they feel horrible and i've rebuilt them many times. i'm gonna give up on them, unless you can share your knowledge about the right way to do it. i know some of the shocks that have a cap at the top can use a diaphragm to separate the air from the oil. what a brilliant idea. of course with the losi's i will assume they go with a foam in the cartridge. am i wrong. i could pull em apart, but i would just like to know the tricks of the trade. please help out. thanks a ton. later.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 09:53 PM   #1131
Tech Master

seaball

Try using a shock vacuum pump. What I did was fill up the shocks like the directions say and then move the shock shaft up and down for a minute or so to work the oil into the foam. After that, take them apart and put the bottom section of the shock into the shock pump and remove the air, per the shock vacuum pump's directions. This forces the air out of the foam cartridge. After that, put the shocks back together and see how thay feel. I had to repeat this process a few times, but my shocks are nice and smooth with no air in them. Also, when you put the bottom part of the shock into the shock body, make sure the piston is all the way down or you will have air in them. Good luck!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 10:15 PM   #1132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There is no foam in the cartridge in a Losi shock.

The shocks are quite simple. This is how I build.

- Fill shock body to the just where the threads start.
- Insert cartridge and shaft assembly. Shaft should be fully pulled out.
- Screw cartridge assembly halfway in
- Push shaft in slowly to bleed the shock.
- With the shaft fully compressed into the shock body, screw cartridge tight in the shockbody.

That is it.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:51 AM   #1133
Tech Champion

Rodney- Bigdog used the stock inserts that came with the Take off tire's. I can't wait to run the car tomorrow. It should be very fun. I'll report back on how the day went after the Lewis fight.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:55 AM   #1134
Tech Adept

Default Vacuum

I use a slightly modified version of MDawson's technique;

- Fill shock body to the just where the threads start.
- Insert cartridge and shaft assembly. Shaft should be fully pulled out.
- Screw cartridge assembly all the way in back out slightly
- Push shaft in very slowly to bleed the shock, wait at the bottom.
- With the shaft fully compressed into the shock body, screw cartridge finger tight in the shockbody.
- Then with the shaft back out of the shock body, screw cartridge a quick 1/8 turn to loosen then tighten in the shockbody.

That is it.

The difference- if you run this way you have a bit more air in the schock but the oil will want to go out of the shock and the cartridge will run smoother.
Dragonxmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:09 PM   #1135
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Crappy night racing tonight. broke 2 spindles, My ball end on my front shocks, and broke a carrier in half. Nasty accident. Anyways, are the carriers that you buy with the Graphite Spindles all the same or do they have to go with the Spindles. Right now I have 1 stock carrier and 1 graphite carrier that I got with the 2degree spindles. I want to buy the 4degree spindles and was thinking that I could have those steering carriers as spares.

Thanks

Mike
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:13 PM   #1136
Tech Elite

same mold, different material. they will interchange.

a nasty track bit my car today too. part of the game. the fun part is getting back together and doing it all over again.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:16 PM   #1137
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

To bad I went to the track to just race and not have to put down another $25 in parts to finish the night Now I just have to hide the Visa Bill when I get it
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:21 PM   #1138
Tech Champion

The car was awesome tonight. The Take off's worked but I feel that the insert they come with is too soft to my liking. I ran Sorex 28 up front and 24 in the rear both with HPI red inserts. I ran Matt's set up from the nats with two changes and the car was dialed. Change#1- Come in one hole on the front shock tower Change#2 blue springs all the way around. I think that I will be going back to purples all the way around the next time out. The car traction rolled later in the day as the traction came up. I qualified 3rd in the A-main but came in 7th(OUCH) after traction rolling more than once. The next race is this Wednesday so I will test out a few moere things once I get there.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:28 PM   #1139
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by MDawson
a nasty track bit my car today too. part of the game. the fun part is getting back together and doing it all over again.
MDawson was on fire today!! If I'm not mistaken he lapped his field twice>
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:44 PM   #1140
Tech Elite

Mini,

The check is in the mail. Thanks.