R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2004, 07:13 AM   #11026
Tech Initiate

Default Matt Francis Setup

A few pages back James posted Matt's setup for the Reedy Race. I noticed that he used High roll centers for both front and back. Is that a typo. It seems like most of the talk on this thread is to use the low rolls. What would be the advantage of using the high rolls?

Also, does any one have any comments on using a very tight diff, vs spool or one way on a tight carpet track.
Losi Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #11027
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: Matt Francis Setup

Quote:
Originally posted by Losi Lunatic
A few pages back James posted Matt's setup for the Reedy Race. I noticed that he used High roll centers for both front and back. Is that a typo. It seems like most of the talk on this thread is to use the low rolls. What would be the advantage of using the high rolls?

Also, does any one have any comments on using a very tight diff, vs spool or one way on a tight carpet track.
That's no typo. Matt had high roll centers on his car. High roll centers will make the car react quicker.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:04 AM   #11028
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Matt Francis Setup

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
That's no typo. Matt had high roll centers on his car. High roll centers will make the car react quicker.
And Matt can drive ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:10 AM   #11029
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I lose some steering, but gain acceleration, when I tighten my diff up. Only would do it with the carbide or ceramic balls in the diff. I assume that Matt is getting closer to having a spool when he goes with "very, very tight".

Just waiting for Clint, James or Randy to jump in here...
Old 06-10-2004, 08:21 AM   #11030
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the link.
SupermaxxRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #11031
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Thanks Randy, I was planning on getting the graphite kit any way. What is this HD Belt????? Where does it go and do you have a part #??? Thanks for your time!
The HD kit replaces the belt tensioner and pulley, spaces out the kink in the belt to make the drivetrain more free. I dont have a part # handy, but you should be able to look up or ask for the HD belt at almost anywhere that stocks Losi parts and they'll know whats up. I know it was in Losi's new products section on their site, but not sure if it still is.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #11032
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:

The high roll centers worked really well on a low grip track that I ran on. I'd never use them on anything high bite though.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #11033
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

No typo on the setup sheet. The high roll centers make the car drive flatter and are more responsive. They make the car not so lazy from side to side weight transfer since its rolling less it takes it less time to get back to center. It also frees the car up on high traction surfaces since there is less roll there is less traction being gained. We only use high roll centers on asphalt. Never use high roll centers on carpet.

Use one ways if you are running stock and rubber tires on carpet. You'll need the corner speed. You could use a spool but it binds the drivetrain and tears up cvds pretty quickly. Also the spool will push bad if you don't have your car setup right. The tight diff will give you more offpower steering but less onpower as it will slip just a slight amount. If you are running foams never run anything but a diff in your car.

There is an informative roll center article that futureal wrote in the latest xtreme r/c mag.

Last edited by James Nguyen; 06-10-2004 at 12:05 PM.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #11034
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default Re: Re: Matt Francis Setup

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
No typo on the setup sheet. The high roll centers make the car drive flatter and are more responsive. They make the car not so lazy from side to side weight transfer since its rolling less it takes it less time to get back to center. It also frees the car up on high traction surfaces since there is less roll there is less traction being gained. We only use high roll centers on asphalt. Never use high roll centers on carpet.

Use one ways if you are running stock and rubber tires on carpet. You'll need the corner speed. You could use a spool but it binds the drivetrain and tears up cvds pretty quickly. Also the spool will push bad if you don't have your car setup right. The tight diff will give you more offpower steering but less onpower as it will slip just a slight amount. If you are running foams never run anything but a diff in your car.
James, this is a little off topic, but are you related to Tila Nguyen? Lol, I'm sorry, but I just saw your s/n and was curious.

-etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #11035
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Matt Francis Setup

Quote:
Originally posted by etzkev
James, this is a little off topic, but are you related to Tila Nguyen? Lol, I'm sorry, but I just saw your s/n and was curious.

-etzkev
No but I've met her before.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #11036
The Evicerator

I wonder if I'm related to Tila Nguyen... I should do some research into my family tree!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #11037
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Evicerator
I wonder if I'm related to Tila Nguyen... I should do some research into my family tree!
I can definitely see the resemblence...
Old 06-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #11038
The Evicerator

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
I can definitely see the resemblence...
Somehow I think I'm being made fun of with this comment....

hmmm...
Old 06-10-2004, 12:41 PM   #11039
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Haha, you guys are funny. James, that would be cool. I kinda thought you might be related in some way, because your birthday is around the right period, the name, location, and you are into import cars!
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #11040
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Randy- you have made the change from Yokomo to Losi sedans...what thoughts do you have between the cars now that you have went back to running the losi? I am running a yok now and am thinking about going to the losi and wanted to know your insite.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote