Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 06-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randy Caster
woaaah, you guys dont use a 1 way out there? I'm gonna be slow again at the Losi race if there isn't a 1 way up front...
Everyone was running spools to get practice for the Reedy race. The track layout is our version of the Tamiya track. I'll be running my oneway this weekend just to get back use to the darn thing.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Spools definately suck, I'm really not all that great at hitting the brakes. I'm gonna give it another shot with a front diff this weekend though.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am curious what kind of setup changes are you guys making between going spool versus one-way versus diff.

I have always driven a diff but trying to get used to the spool. The track here is long straights, big sweepers and 4 tight turns.
The push is a pain but I figure I will get it sorted out this weekend.

Haven't tried the one-way for ages and I am a little surprised you guys like them so much.

-Rich

PS: Randy, I'm with you on the brakes. I rarely use them but better figure out how.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A lot of guys were using a lot of brakes at the Reedy race. It was the fast way through at least one spot. It's not as much of a finesse (sp?) driving style. There were a lot of clicking belts going into the hairpin after the sweeper.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Fellas...I have 2 questions. First, do any of you run a small fan for motor cooling? If so, where and how did you mount it? Second, I just picked up a Bianary2 stocker today and was wondering ballpark on the gearing. 100 ft straights flowing turns and around 12.5 secs. per lap. I run 64 pitch BTW.

Thanks
Brant
Old 06-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Spools definately suck, I'm really not all that great at hitting the brakes. I'm gonna give it another shot with a front diff this weekend though.
I was going to run a regular diff this weekend but I'm not racing mod. In stock I think the oneway is faster. James and I are going to play around in the stock class this weekend. Corner speed is a must in stock and that's where the oneway comes in.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Angry Losi Drive System

Is there anyway to get the Losi drive system to spin more freely
or to spin freely at all you know like when I put the car on ground and if I push or barely it doesn't roll forever, is this normal for a Losi sedan, I mean when I'm on the track it seems ok, I don't know but always have had 4wd nitro cars and those cars would coast very very freely... Can someone please help me out.

Thank you
Old 06-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

repost for key500.

it may or maynot apply... just somehting to check out.

my car is tonns freer since having found and corrected the following.

dont know if this is old news or whatever but it's just something i've recently found and fixed with my car:

i found my losi was damaging bearings pretty bad, motors were over heating and was having to under gear them severly etc. just excessive friction in general.

which i tracked down to the hex/axle/bearing area.

tried different oils for the bearings, running extra spacing between the bearings thinking they were being pinched due to there not being enough spacing between them, also not tightening wheels down too hard (leads to wobbly wheels anyhow), etc. but it still keept happening.

finally worked out that between the hex and the shim between the bearing and the pin for the hex that they were pushing the hex out over the threads and making it easy to overtighten and pinch the bearing.. or i guess even cornering loads on the track could also have a greater effect on the bearings.

to fix i took out the shim and used a thinner shim from LOS6230 Losi, SHIMS ASSORTMENT (20) 2.50.

just something to look at, especially if you find your hub bearings bind up as you tighten your wheel nuts.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by POOKYT
Fellas...I have 2 questions. First, do any of you run a small fan for motor cooling? If so, where and how did you mount it? Second, I just picked up a Bianary2 stocker today and was wondering ballpark on the gearing. 100 ft straights flowing turns and around 12.5 secs. per lap. I run 64 pitch BTW.

Thanks
Brant
Here's how to mount the fan.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-dscn1723.jpg  
Old 06-05-2004, 06:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by STLNLST
I was going to run a regular diff this weekend but I'm not racing mod. In stock I think the oneway is faster. James and I are going to play around in the stock class this weekend. Corner speed is a must in stock and that's where the oneway comes in.
I'll usually use the 1 way everywhere, any class... Just want to get a little more time with using brakes, try to get a bit faster with them.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Randy: Is there a good base setup for 19T (or I assume stock will be much the same) that you have tried and liked?

General question: Are you guys still stacking the electronics in front of the motor or are people reverting back to putting the esc behind the motor again? I am curious how others have found the handling changes with this.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by RichO
Randy: Is there a good base setup for 19T (or I assume stock will be much the same) that you have tried and liked?

General question: Are you guys still stacking the electronics in front of the motor or are people reverting back to putting the esc behind the motor again? I am curious how others have found the handling changes with this.
I really only have a good setup for SoCal, which will be different than any other track out there.

I put the ESC in the back of the car again just because I had glitching problems at Tamiya with it in front.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Randy: No problem. I used to race there many years back. Definitely a different type of track. The glitching problem you mentioned is interesting. I had a similar problem on the track here, but have messed around with the antenna and managed to get it corrected (I think - watch me plant it in the wall today...)
Old 06-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by RichO
Randy: No problem. I used to race there many years back. Definitely a different type of track. The glitching problem you mentioned is interesting. I had a similar problem on the track here, but have messed around with the antenna and managed to get it corrected (I think - watch me plant it in the wall today...)
Rich give me your Email, I'll send you a setup that works great on most tracks. Are you running a 1 way, diff, or spool? I have one for each.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 06-05-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Here's how to mount the fan.
Thanks Randy!

Brant

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.