R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2001, 08:09 AM   #1066
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help Dave I couldnt have asked for a better breakdown on my question.

Thanks,
Craig
grinch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:08 AM   #1067
Regional Moderator

Thanks Mark. I will wait for that info.
Addict sa RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:55 AM   #1068
Tech Master

Trips

I'm using the Losi A-5052 shock bodies on front and rear and they work perfectly for both. You have to screw the height adjuster nut further down on the back to get the ride height correct, but they are only about 1/4" from the top when the rear is at 4.5mm ride height.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 11:32 AM   #1069
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi,

I am going to Cleveland this year and have yet to run my car on foam tires. What is a good standard setup for it?? I need something that is going to be pretty easy to drive but will still be pretty fast and smooth. I usually run rubber tires, Is there any good tips to keep the tires from chunking?

Thanks for any information,

Jason Mayer
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:01 PM   #1070
Tech Adept

Angry XXX-S***

What is up with the crappy ass hub carriers on this car.I have never had so much trouble with a car.It's a big let down when you get a new car and one part makes the whole car crap.In the past three weeks of racing I have spent at least $28.00 on hub carriers.Plus $10.00 to race when you don't really get to race because one piece can't take more than two small hits on the boards.I guess switching bak to the yoke not such a bad idea.
Just wanted to rant a little.

Craig
grinch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:05 PM   #1071
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ranting is ok, but what are you hitting to break rear hub carriers?? Might be better if you switch back to the yok. and maybe not

$28 bucks? The stock (0 degree) hubs are reversable.....
Old 11-11-2001, 09:34 PM   #1072
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have put my XXX-S through some hard hits and have not broken any suspension pieces at all. That's after three months of constant weekly racing. The only problem I've had is bent body posts and a broken outdrive... in fact I have not seen any hub carriers break at our track at all, with 6 or 7 Losi cars out there every week.

Where on the carrier are they breaking? If it's in the same place every time, something might be off on the car, leading to too much stress being placed on a weak point in the hub. That's about all I can think of... but really, that piece should not be breaking...
Old 11-11-2001, 11:20 PM   #1073
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
Hi,

I am going to Cleveland this year and have yet to run my car on foam tires. What is a good standard setup for it?? I need something that is going to be pretty easy to drive but will still be pretty fast and smooth. I usually run rubber tires, Is there any good tips to keep the tires from chunking?
Here's the setup I run at Bruckner Hobbies' indoor track:

Tires: TRC purple rear, plaid front
Springs: Losi blue rear Losi purple front
Oil/pistons: 80wt/55 rear 80wt/56 front
Droop: 3 front, 5 rear
Camber: -1 rear, -1.5 front
Ride height: 5mm rear, 4.5mm-5mm front
Front toe: 0 or a tiny bit out
Front kickup/caster: 0F kickup, 4 degree caster block, high roll center
Front camber rod: all the way in on tower
Front shock mounting: third hole out on tower

Rear toe: kit standard
Rear anti dive: 0R, high roll center
Rear camber rod: all the way in on tower, in on hub carrier, one washer under ball stud on hub carrier
Rear shock mounting: outer hole on arm, third hole out on tower
Battery: forward
Diffs: standard diffs F & R

Bruckner's track is Ozite, but it doesn't develop the level of grip you'll see at Cleveland. This setup might be a good place to start, but when the bite's up you might be getting into traction rolls. Take some Losi black springs along, you might start with Losi purple in back and blacks up front instead of blue/purple. If you can get them, get some blue and purple Trinity Congo springs just in case too.

Later,

Trips
Old 11-11-2001, 11:30 PM   #1074
Tech Adept

I broke a hub carrier... once...

Had an unintentional meeting with a certain track's "hobby shop friendly" boards, courtesy of a poorly trained trigger finger, and powered by a healthy 10x2.
seamus0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 05:44 AM   #1075
Tech Apprentice

Pic from Brown Brothers Racing.

http://communities.msn.com/RacingatB...s/shoebox.msnw

Last edited by nitrorcfan; 11-12-2001 at 05:58 AM.
nitrorcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 05:58 AM   #1076
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Where on the carrier are they breaking? If it's in the same place every time, something might be off on the car, leading to too much stress being placed on a weak point in the hub. That's about all I can think of... but really, that piece should not be breaking...
I broke one... But it was a pretty good hit too. I turned in too early and cliped the boards right at a sandbag. It broke right at the curve at the bottom, taking a CVD with it. I don't expect any car to hold up to what i did to it. The angle i hit the wall at was just bad....and driving was bad... but thats a different story
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 06:30 AM   #1077
Tech Apprentice

I am braking a lot of stuff on my Losi XXXS, even though I do drive stock motors, and am not a big hitter. When checking the Graphite parts that brake I found out that it has a lot of air bubbles in it that extremely reduces the strength. I'll contact the Dutch importer on this. The things that brake, brake in a starnge way. Not a normal clean brake.

By the way, even with only one qualifyer the car took me to 7th in the B final, with over 50 drivers in totalk and the Dutch top racers at the start. Not to bad!
Arnoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:53 AM   #1078
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Type S

what parts commonly brak on teh xxxs? ill probably be moving from my tc3 to a rclab 7 even and a losi xxxs. i just want to know what spares i sould get like belts and what else?

thanks.

ps is it true that the belt skips under heavy breaking?
Type S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 09:35 AM   #1079
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The only part I've managed to break was a graphite front arm, and that only after a particularly heavy crash caused by a glitch this weekend.

I've heard reports that the front arms and hub carriers are prone to breakage, but so far I've had no hub carriers break and only the one arm. That's after approximately eleven or twelve full race days.

The belt can skip a bit under heavy braking depending on the tensioner setting and how much brake you use. Mine skips a tiny bit under hard braking from full speed with mod motors.

Trips
Old 11-12-2001, 09:50 AM   #1080
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Breakage experience for me is limited to a front carrier and rear arm.

Any r/c car will splinter or break under the right conditions. There are parts at greater risk, but a lot of other factors (course design and materials) can increase the probability.

It is always good to carry spares that consist of; belt, spindle/carriers, front/rear arm, rear hub.