R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #9256
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
It's not just the Losi droop gauge that measures droop that way, all of them that I've seen measure droop that way. Droop is measured from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of the blocks. The more droop you have, the smaller number you'll have.
If you take every touring car out there, and use this method to set all their droop settings to "5" on the gauge, then each car will have a different setting. Why? Because the distance from the arm at horizontal to the bottom of the chassis is different for each car.

Plus, and somebody help me out here, having more droop, but a smaller number on the gauge makes no sense! How do I know exactly how much droop I have? Do I have 5mm of actual droop, or "5" droop according to my gauge? Exactly what does a setting of "5" droop on the gauge give me while my car is out on the track?

I would think that you would want to know what your droop is from the bottom of your chassis to the bottom of your tires. This is a true measurement of droop, not from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of your arm. It is just not an acurate measurement if you asked me, as it does not take into account the actual demensions of the car as it would sit on the track.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #9257
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If you look at any setup sheet for the XXXS the droop will be measured from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of the blocks weather it seems backwards to you or not, there is nothing I can do to change this for you, I only know how it is done.

If you want a way of setting droop the same from car to car then what you need to do is set your desired ride height with a tapered ride height gauge, then slide it under the chassis to your desired droop and adjust the droop until the tires come off the ground at the same time. ie: your ride height is at 5mm, you want 3mm droop, so set your ride height at 5, and slide the gauge under the chassis to 8mm, then adjust the tires so that they both leave the ground at exactly 8mm. That will work for what you want, but it isn't going to help you any on copying a setup sheet.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #9258
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
If you look at any setup sheet for the XXXS the droop will be measured from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of the blocks weather it seems backwards to you or not, there is nothing I can do to change this for you, I only know how it is done.

If you want a way of setting droop the same from car to car then what you need to do is set your desired ride height with a tapered ride height gauge, then slide it under the chassis to your desired droop and adjust the droop until the tires come off the ground at the same time. ie: your ride height is at 5mm, you want 3mm droop, so set your ride height at 5, and slide the gauge under the chassis to 8mm, then adjust the tires so that they both leave the ground at exactly 8mm. That will work for what you want, but it isn't going to help you any on copying a setup sheet.
I should say that I wasn't really having a personal argument with you, I just posted my questions to see if there was anyone else out there that was as confused as I am on how exactly to measure droop. I wasn't trying to insult you by disagreing with you reapeatedly. I apologize if it seemed so. It was not intentional.

So if I want to follow any of the setup sheets off of losi's site, then I need to assume that when the sheet says 3mm of droop in the front, than that means that the front hub carrier is on the "3" of losi's droop gauge? I like to come up with my own setups, but I find other's setups useful for comparison.

(and no, it still doesn't make sense to me...*laughing at myself*)
Old 03-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #9259
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Here's a pic of my carpet ride, check out how much weight I had to add to get it at minimum.
Your car was light with foam tires on it.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #9260
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cartmen34
I should say that I wasn't really having a personal argument with you, I just posted my questions to see if there was anyone else out there that was as confused as I am on how exactly to measure droop. I wasn't trying to insult you by disagreing with you reapeatedly. I apologize if it seemed so. It was not intentional.

So if I want to follow any of the setup sheets off of losi's site, then I need to assume that when the sheet says 3mm of droop in the front, than that means that the front hub carrier is on the "3" of losi's droop gauge? I like to come up with my own setups, but I find other's setups useful for comparison.

(and no, it still doesn't make sense to me...*laughing at myself*)
I wasn't taking any offense or anything, just trying to state a point is all. I think that any setup sheet you will ever need to reference will be measured from the lowest part of the blocks F/R, either with the Losi guage or something similar... I use the Hudy stuff personally.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #9261
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
Your car was light with foam tires on it.
lol, I picked that chunk of lead off my car and threw it away, that was heavy! lol

At least I wont have to strap one on again until next December when they race again
Old 03-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #9262
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How much weight was that? What weight did they have you get to?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #9263
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I wasn't taking any offense or anything, just trying to state a point is all. I think that any setup sheet you will ever need to reference will be measured from the lowest part of the blocks F/R, either with the Losi guage or something similar... I use the Hudy stuff personally.
Appreciate the help Randman. I think that answers all my ?'s for now.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #9264
Tech Fanatic

3lb. 5 ounces. I think we added about 2 ounces to it.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #9265
Tech Champion

Damn, you were able to get that thing down to 51 oz!? I'm at 54.2 with the exact same radio gear you're running and Aluminum screws everywhere I can. I have yet to spend the money on Ti screws. I've never run foams before, are they lighter or heavier than rubber?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #9266
Tech Fanatic

the foams make the car lighter, but i don't think it makes them that much lighter.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #9267
Tech Champion

I didn't think so. I guess it shows how heavy the chassis really is.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #9268
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

jkerr, on my car I do know that it weighed in at 48 ounces on the dot without a normal AMB transponder and the body and with rubber tires. If you can try to paint a body the lightest you can as this adds 3-5 ounces overall.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #9269
Tech Champion

I was talking about changing the Steel screws to Ti. The high load screws I left steel. I know my bodies are heavy but that's kind of not up to me. They're provided and painted for me. (thanks Nate - www.racingrccars.com and Franks Bodies ) I'm seriously thinking of trying the milling like Randy did. I just don't think I have a steady enough hand for that.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #9270
Tech Prophet

I still have steel screws on the car, about 3/4 are aluminum though. Titanium is cool, but way too expensive if you have to buy individual screw sizes, steel is fine for me.

James - Just so you know I have decided to stay home tomorrow, but I'll take those bodies up next week.