R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2001, 02:50 PM   #886
Tech Adept

What size threaded shock bodies is everyone using (.6", .9", 1.2")?

Ran the front one-way last night. Had to soften up the front quite a bit (Blue 14.6 springs) but I like it.
LooseCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 03:40 PM   #887
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

mike_Webb: If you email me the pictures, I can put it on the main page under the Members' Rides section and then post a link here. That would probably be the easiest way.

One of the guys at our track literally made a "swiss cheese" chassis. I am going to try and get a pic of it this weekend. He even put holes in the battery strap.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:41 PM   #888
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Shane ... heh... Who did that? ...please do get some pictures...I have been told i cant race on Tues due to school... ( insert pissed off TSR6 here ) .... soo...anyways... get the pics...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 08:41 PM   #889
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

is the stock set up a good set up for carpet?
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 09:05 PM   #890
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Yodace - It's a good starting point i feel.. I basicly used stock setup with a few minor changes, and it at least handle'd ok. I would suggest going to Losi's website and printing the various setups. I now have all of them in my pitbox.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 09:19 PM   #891
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what kind of minor changes ?
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 12:57 AM   #892
Tech Rookie

I have just purchased my first TC, heck my first R/C. I have been reading this thread from page one and I am almost done but I have some newbie questions.
How do I adjust ride height? Stupid question I know but it seems as if the instructions assumed I would know. As far as I can figure I think I do it with the preload on the springs. Any help would be great. I am located in the seattle area and will be racing indoor carpet.
Have a great day....

What no spell check
Boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 01:38 AM   #893
R/C Tech Founder

Yup, the Spell Checker is indeed broken. I have not been able to figure out why. Actually, I haven't tried that hard. Too busy adding new icons.

Anyway, to lower your ride height there are a few things you can do.

First, raise the spring-clamp-collars (or whatever the proper name is) on the shocks. Loosen the screw and move the clamp up to lower ride height (a.k.a. decreasing the preload on the shock). With the stock clamps, you can only go so high, but you can shave the clamps to move them even higher. If you can afford it, the threaded shock bodies are really nice to have for this reason.

The next thing you can do is cut down the cup-end on the bottom of the shock (the part that the shock shaft threads into, that attaches to the suspension arm). If you take a little but off the part that the shaft threads into, it will lower the spring-cup on the shock, resulting in a lower ride height. If you do this, make sure to do it to both sides equally, and don't cut too much off.

If your car still needs to go lower, chances are you are either below ROAR-legal height or you have done something wrong. Also, after you have set your ride height with the shocks, make sure to adjust your droop screws so that the shock travel is where you mean for it to be. Changing the shock lengths will probably change your droop setting.
Old 10-27-2001, 04:38 AM   #894
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Caddzilla Send a message via AIM to Caddzilla Send a message via Yahoo to Caddzilla

Does anyone know what the final drive ratio is for the XXX-S?
Caddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 05:53 AM   #895
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1.83, go here: http://www.rcracing.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=1100 for a handy/dandy gear ratio calculator.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 09:36 AM   #896
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Harsh- I have a new toy on the XXX-S to show you today See you in about two hours. I'm practicing all day. It's the last points race so I'm leaving it all out on the track. Good luck to you since you are not in my class....otherwise I'd wish an ill handling car to you LMAO
Old 10-27-2001, 09:50 AM   #897
Tech Elite

new toy, what? ....where do I get one (or 10)

...I can't get out there till 1:00, it outta be an exciting evening, lots of close points that are all gonna come down to todays race!
Old 10-28-2001, 10:06 AM   #898
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Thanks for the help MDawson and Maddog. I ran the Ron R setup and it worked GREAT. Even kept up with the fast TC3's at Enid. Still in question about tires,always will. Are the Sorex 36's equal to the HPI 33r's? I read that the Sorex 32s have too small of a temp window. What about the 28's on 65-68 deg concrete?
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 10:49 AM   #899
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Doug- On that degree running surface I would try the Sorex 28 or 24 both with HPI red inserts or call speedworld because there's a new cold weather insert Billy was testing last night with good results. I did some testing with the Takeoff 22 last night and the car was just as fast as it was with the sorex tire's. You can't go wrong either way.

Hasrh- Just because you have oneways doesn't mean you can hit people from behind....LOL You should have taken those HV's out of your car. I was going to tech your car for a cheater motor, but then I remebered that you had Danny's batteries in your car. Your set up looked dialed. Who's set up were you running last night? I was using Dujuan's set up. This darn Losi is sooooooo stable. No mater what tire we were using the car always felt planted. Next weekend it's off to the carpet track. It's sure to be a great first race. Congrats on your overall points win and now that you are getting kicked up to expert stock I may have to run once or twice just to put you into the wall....LMAO

TO ALL OTHER XXX-S OWNERS- As I stated above...carpet starts next weekend so have any of you run the carpet set ups off of the Losi home page? Any comments or little changes you guys made would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2001, 11:14 AM   #900
Tech Elite

STLNLST ....yea LOL, I got tired of hearing Hacky smack talk about how much faster he was, yada, yada ....so I let him by 3 times and all 3 times I ran him down like the dog he is ...childish I know, but I figured what the hell I had the points series in the bag

I was running Paul Liemiux's setup from the ROAR nats but with blue springs all around, 1 degree rear toe, 5 mm rear droop, Sorex 28's in the qualifiers, Sorex 24's in the main