R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #8926
Tech Master

Default wrenches and drivers

I have the MIP wrench set, which I've been using now for almost 8 years and not once have I had to send them in for new tips. The losi wrenches to me are not that impressive, they feel cheap.

I would stick with MIP and Hudy tool sets. The most important thing to remember when it comes to tools is... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. That's why Snap On tools cost more than Craftsman.

Eric

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:05 AM   #8927
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Fike, does MIP offer that those thorp wrenches in a set of do you have to purchase them seperately?
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #8928
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I have been using the Dynamite wrenches for a while now, with no problems. I did have a broken tip on one of the wrenches, but someone who borrowed it broke it I don't know what he did to do it...
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:05 AM   #8929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Ditto on that. I have a set of Dynamite metric and standard. Good price, good feel, haven't broke or stripped anything with them yet. I only wish they came in a 4 piece set instead of the 3. I had to add a allen key for the motor plate screws (before I just swapped them for some regular cap head screws...)
Old 02-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #8930
Tech Master

Webspinner,

As far as I know they only come individually, but if you buy them all at the same time maybe you LHS will give you a discount. I know that the one I go to will do that sometimes.

E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"

Last edited by EricF; 02-25-2004 at 03:40 PM.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #8931
Tech Fanatic

what is the difference between running 4r, 2r, and 0r in the back, i thought it was 4r is easiest, but not fastest, and getting faster but harder to drive as the numbers go down? Busted my 2r in half(that stupid brick from above posts, and was wondering if i should go to 0r or not.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:54 PM   #8932
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So far I like the Losi wrenches the best. I still haven't tried the ut drivers though. I get thin wall sockets for a ratcheting screwdriver with interchangable bits from the snap-on guy that goes to my dad's work. It's probably one of my favorite tools.

-Sushi Boy
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #8933
Tech Adept

High or Low ?

What does using the low roll center mounts vs the high roll center mounts, such as those that are included with the XXX-S Sport, do for the handling of this car ?
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #8934
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by pro3racer
what is the difference between running 4r, 2r, and 0r in the back, i thought it was 4r is easiest, but not fastest, and getting faster but harder to drive as the numbers go down? Busted my 2r in half(that stupid brick from above posts, and was wondering if i should go to 0r or not.
the lower the number the flatter the car will drive. 0R in the rear won't rotate as hard in the corners as a 2R or 4R would. If you have a slight push off power going into a turn try going up with your anti squat. Worked for me
Old 02-26-2004, 05:28 PM   #8935
Tech Adept

As far as tools go I have an old set of bolink drivers and they rock! Except for the fact that i can't get the .050 bit I snapped after 5 years of pinion gear duty. On the antisquat I use 4deg. I get a strong but very controlled rotation on turn in and huge on power traction. When this is coupled with the on power steering of the one way it makes the car really fast in the corners. Of course this might not work on a short technical track.
Poppa Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:00 PM   #8936
Tech Adept

Default .050 Tip

Dude you should order one up from Tower Hobbies while you still can.....

Bolink Torker Wrench tip .050
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #8937
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Sup guys, just wondering, with the new belt tricks, and new pulley system, do you notice more power out of the corners?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #8938
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Sup guys, just wondering, with the new belt tricks, and new pulley system, do you notice more power out of the corners?
I setup one of my two XXX-S G cars with the black belt and went to Stockton carpet to test last week. Except for using different springs, the car with the black belt was faster down the 100' long back straight. So much faster, that I went one tooth higher on the pinion. Would have used it in the A main; but, I needed to let the motor cool down from the practice before the mains...We were first.

Qualified second for the main with the yellow belted car; and, the black belt might have gotten me nearer to the very good top qualifier in Sportsman Stock.

Just got 3 more black belts from Horizon and will get the other XXX-S 'belted' soon. The rest are for friends.

This is easily my best upgrade to my XXX-S G stable.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #8939
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Is the new pulley system pretty hard to get a hold of as of now?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #8940
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Is the new pulley system pretty hard to get a hold of as of now?
All you gotta do is try...Just phone and ask for a backorder at Horizon or go through your lhs.