Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 01-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

they are, thanx, i was wondering if the AEhexs where wider than the stock xxx-s hexs, or wider than the hop-up red ones.
Thank You
Old 01-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

They sit out just a tad wider, which allows you to use the wider foam tires without the worry of them rubbing on any of the suspension parts....not sure about the red ones though, they look pretty close to stock to me. Some people just put spacers behind the stock ones, which basically does the samething.

Later EddieO
Old 01-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Regional Moderator

I am using the AE hexes and still having to severely limit my steering travel to keep the foam wheels from rubbing my lower shock captured ball cup. Is there anything else anyone is doing to make the wheels sit further out. additionally, I am having a problem with even low profile nuts coming off. I am resorting to loctite. does anyone make longer axle shafts?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Be sure when you finally get the wheel base wide enough to put some curb feelers on your body.

J
Old 01-24-2004, 11:47 PM
R/C Tech Founder

petzl: What kind of tires/wheels are you running (e.g. Jaco, TRC, etc) and what width?

I've run 28mm foams from TRC and Jaco on mine with no problems like that.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:10 AM
Regional Moderator

I am using Jaco 28mm plaid/purple. The inside of the wheel only wants to rub on the outer part of the captured ball on the shock.

I have to pull my radio out to give you the limits of travel.

I'll shoot some pics later today so you can see the situation.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default wheel rub

I had to remove a little material off the lwr control arm to get enough clearance. Just filed the flat spot a little so you do not conpromise the strength of the arm.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:40 AM
R/C Tech Founder

That's weird, I never had that problem.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Talking Mazda 6 body

I just prepared a much touted Mazda 6 body and then tried to fit it to one of my Losi XXX-S Graphite chassis. When getting the body's wheel wells lined up reasonably well to the front and rear wheels of the chassis, the front bumper ends up being way too far behind the nose of the body (too big a gap). Don't want to add (weight) anything to fill the space either. Will be sticking with ProtoForm's great Alfa 156 body for my Losi cars.

Gotta look into the Parma Alfa thing...
Old 01-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by petzl
I am using Jaco 28mm plaid/purple. The inside of the wheel only wants to rub on the outer part of the captured ball on the shock.

I have to pull my radio out to give you the limits of travel.

I'll shoot some pics later today so you can see the situation.
Petzl....take your tires and put them back on the tire truer and hold a file on the inside edge of the rim. Jaco tires sometimes have extra glue that hangs out past the rim and that rubs on the shock bottoms. Also if you use TC3 hex's on the axles you will get a little more clearance. If you are still having issues you can use a ball cup on the bottom of the shock for even greater clearance.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Mazda 6 body

Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
I just prepared a much touted Mazda 6 body and then tried to fit it to one of my Losi XXX-S Graphite chassis. When getting the body's wheel wells lined up reasonably well to the front and rear wheels of the chassis, the front bumper ends up being way too far behind the nose of the body (too big a gap). Don't want to add (weight) anything to fill the space either. Will be sticking with ProtoForm's great Alfa 156 body for my Losi cars.

Gotta look into the Parma Alfa thing...
How much gap do you have?? also are you using the Stock bumper of an aftermarket piece???
Old 01-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Regional Moderator

I decided to replace the chassis on my car so, will have to take pics when I get it back together tonight.

Kevin, I am using the AE hexes. The rubbing is on the actualy rim itself. It is kinda weird that I am having this problem and others like shane are not. I know there are variations in any manufacturing process but, I would not think that there would be more than a fraction of a few thousandths tolerance on an injection molded part.

For info, I have had to limit the Steering travel limit to 39% which seems rather excessive. When I get the car back together, I will post pics and maybe we can figure it out together.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

i am having major rubbing trouble too! My d/r on my mx-3 is down to 60, pretty low, and i still rub. The hex screw(big allen) is rubbing on my foam tire, and rim. It is very loud, takes some foam away, and is a pain, i tryed to get some AE hexs, but where sold out. I'm running the red(with O0ring) losi hexs. I'm running jaco plaid 28mm. I can't file away any of the arm, because with running a sway bar, there is so little room in that area. I don't have acess to a lathe either. should i take a risk on using a ball cup? The spares i have arent' brand new(get my idea.)
Old 01-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

pro3racer, use a washer of some sort to space out your foams. That is what I do running the stock losi hex adapters and only had to shave a little bit off the shock ball ends both front and rear for clearance.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

where do you put the spacer? I'm guessing in between the wheel and the hex?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.