R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #8461
Tech Fanatic

You run the steering bellcranks forward when you space your front arms forward I believe. You run the steering bellcranks forward flipped when you space the arms forward an additional .060" from stock forward arm position. Flipped means flipping the arms over so the short part is in front. The arms are still on the same sides as they were. Todd says to use the different ackerman when moving the lower arms forward to keep the steering link angles the same. Someone correct me if I posted anything wrong. I haven't tested it yet so I am not totally 100 percent sure.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:49 PM   #8462
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Generally, "flipped and forward" renders a smoother steering feel... alot of guys like to use it on carpet w/ foams... with a fair amount running it on asphalt as well...

You usually wind up turning the wheel more to get the same steering as with the normal position... at least in my opinion

Usually when doing this, you need to use a longer servo arm to get the correct amount of throw from left to right... with the short arm the leverage just isn't right.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #8463
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6
Default Re: BRP Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally posted by XXX-S Bill

Trinity makes a nice upper brace too.

I use both.
I would just use the Losi brace from the Graphite Plus chassis.

I have found both the Trinity brace to be brittle.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #8464
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Bellcranks

James and Evicerator,

Thanks for those great explanations.

Per Evicerator's description and the steering setup I have seen on Matt Francis' XXX-S indoor car, I assume that "flipped and forward" is pretty much applicable to modified motors on foams. Correct?
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 PM   #8465
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

I ran 58mm tires...

I should also clarify that the drop settings are not 2 on a gauge. I just check the up travel so that is 2mm of up travel from ride height.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 PM   #8466
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Thanks Bobby, I figured that you were measuring up-travel.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:25 PM   #8467
The Evicerator

XXXS-Bill

I've run it on carpet with foams with stock and mod motors... seems to work pretty well... There are also alot of guys who run it on asphalt... It just depends on what kind of feel you're looking for... I've never liked it on asphalt myself...
Old 01-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #8468
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

on the subject of ackerman. i run on carpet w/foams and i have been running the standard ackerman set up w/ front arm spaced forward. but i made a new center plate for the bell cranks made of carbon fibre that is about 1/4 longer per side, which ends up being a full half in long than stock, this allowed the bell cranks to pivot in up front and run longer toe links. this smoothed out the bump steer and toe change through the corner. but this also gave the servo more leverage and made it more sensative turning in. but it worked to make the car more consistent while running the stock ackerman settings.

jarrod@rikter-designs.com
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:59 PM   #8469
Tech Champion

Default Ackerman steering

Evicerator,

Thanks for that description. It seems worthwhile for me to start experimenting more with the bell cranks and other steering mods.

Spaz456,

Very progressive thinking. I especially like minimizing bump steer so one of my chassis will get something like your treatment.

I used to race Formula Vees in SCCA but that involved using parallel steering ("Anti-Ackerman") for fast sweeping turns. This is waaaaaaaaaaay different.

Thanks again.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 01-14-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #8470
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy

Thanks to all who have answered my questions regarding setup.. Tonight at practice, my car was dialed. Prior to tonight, it was a good setup, but the tail was just a bit loose and the car didn't transition fast enough in the infield... I softened up my shocks by going with 35wt all around and am now also running the thinnest diameter sway bar up front. I couldn't believe how fast I could take turns now and how it transitions a lot better. I also set the drag brake on my TC2 a little stronger and that helped out emensely as well. Here in Tulsa, we're running on an asphalt indoor track that has a 75 foot back straight. Having a car that transitions quickly without losing traction is key. I think I've finally found it! I was so pleased...

Also, I'm runing blue springs in the front and pinks in the back... Is that a bad thing? I know you don't want to have too much a gap in strength between the front and the back springs... Anyway, it's really dialed now!

Thanks!
J
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #8471
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't think that spring combo is too spread out at all. Think about it, the stock setup from the factory is Purple front, silver back. That's a much larger gap. If the car feels strapped, run with it for awhile. Write down the setup, and maybe try a few other things (one at a time) see if you can get it even more strapped.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #8472
Tech Champion

BTW, anyone ever run on brushed concrete? We're going to be running on that surface this weekend and I've never run on it. is it generally higher or lower bite? I'd think it would be higher bite but I don't know. I think I'm going to setup one car for low traction with a softer setup and one for high bite with a stiffer setup. Any opinions?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:14 PM   #8473
Tech Champion

Default Brushed Concrete Surface

I used to practice on the top level of a newer parking structure with brushed concrete. I would rate it high traction with two difs and Take Off CS-27 rubber tires. The biggest problem was the gritty dirt lodged in the grooves of that surface...The car would be filled with grit after each run. This was even after raining and drying out for a couple days. You will experience MAJOR tire wear. Hope you have a compressor to clean up...

Have fun.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 PM   #8474
Tech Champion

I'm going to pick up a couple sets of CS27's tomorrow. Ever run it with a one way?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:46 PM   #8475
Tech Champion

At the time, virtually all my running on brushed concrete was done using purple/silver springs and 40 wt oil at both ends.

Just building my third XXX-S with all the tricks and finally including a one-way. I have yet to experience the "joys" or "torments" of a one-way. Otherwise, regular difs had all kinds of control for my Monster Pro stocker XXX-S.

Gave up practicing on the brushed concrete because it didn't help me with setups for asphalt and cleanup was far too annoying. FYI...I have an excellent asphalt dead end street in front of my house. It's easily as good as the better asphalt surfaces I race on here in Northern California. But, SpeedWorld definitely rules.