Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 01-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That would take some serious precision work to build one yourself. One way to kind of check tweek and that your droop is equal on both sides is to set the car loaded on a level, flat surface and with a hobby knife or something very thin, pick up the rear of the car from dead center on the rear bumper. If one tire comes up first your droop is off and you're probably tweeked too. MIP makes a good tweek station for I think around $35.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

ill do that, ill just find the center with my calipers
Old 01-11-2004, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by jkerr0043
That would take some serious precision work to build one yourself. One way to kind of check tweek and that your droop is equal on both sides is to set the car loaded on a level, flat surface and with a hobby knife or something very thin, pick up the rear of the car from dead center on the rear bumper. If one tire comes up first your droop is off and you're probably tweeked too. MIP makes a good tweek station for I think around $35.
Actually when you pick the car up from the center your are checking droop, not tweak. If the droop is unequal on one side that tire will pick up before or after the other depending on which way it is off. The only way you can check tweak is in a loaded condition, with a tweak board or scale. You will be very close if the fronts shocks and the rear shocks are the same lenght right to left and the spring collar is in the exact same location.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago in the gas section about setting tweak.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by James Nguyen
Todd was explaining camber links back a few pages back. He said you could raise the camber link on the tower, in the front of the car, to stiffen the front end and have less camber change...or try using hole number 3. Hole number 3 will also give you more initial steering into the turn, that will fix your push problem at the beginning of the race. Hole number two gets grabby in the middle of the corner as traction comes up and will start to traction roll. Give the number 3 camber link a try and maybe the hole up above 2-3 if you have one drilled. If it still traction rolls try a bigger sway bar maybe if there is a bigger one. Don't glue the side wall if you are running rubber tire...only with foams. That's what I can think of.

sounds like good advise, i'd definitely try out the "hole up" camber link position... it should make your car run flatter...

Last edited by highwayman; 01-11-2004 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

whatever you say ted, i found a thing on losis site saying that is how you tweke it. Also if the drop is equal so is the tweke buddy cuz if the wheels come up at the same time tis balanced
Old 01-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

also i just picked up a front one way in another xxxs i just got, whats this going to do handeling wise?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by pballkid21587
whatever you say ted, i found a thing on losis site saying that is how you tweke it. Also if the drop is equal so is the tweke buddy cuz if the wheels come up at the same time tis balanced
Sorry, I disagree, the suspension must be loaded to set corner weights or tweak. Lifting the car will only tell you droop. Try removing a droop screw and lifting the car, that wheel will drop a lot (if the shock is long enough), that has nothing to do with tweak. On a pan car such as 1/12th scale the lifting method is correct but it isn't the same with ful;l suspension cars.

I know the LOSI site says to pick up the car, pick what works for you and if your car handles good...let er rip!

Ted
Old 01-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey I have been out of the game for a while with my Losi XXX-S... and I guess I sort of forgot the whole gear ratio thing... What is a good gear ratio for the Losi... I plan on using a Ready KR 12t d. and also a Cam 2 pro.. I have the 48p 90tooth spur gear and I also have a 64p 128t spur gear... Any help would be greatly apreaciated....
Old 01-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Futureal

Congrats on the win in the B main brushless at Novak. What changes did you make to your car to fix your traction rolling problem? Kind of curious to hear on what you tried out.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:53 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Thanks. I came away from this weekend with all sorts of new ideas on car setup. My biggest mistake was running both a foam and a rubber class at the same race, especially when I was already stressed for time because of my race coverage for Xtreme and for R/C Tech. Both my XXX-S cars ended up with good setups, but I didn't get there until the end of the race.

My brushless car traction rolled all over the place on the first day. Because of the rather unique race conditions -- brushless on rubber tires with most everything else on foam -- it made it tough to get a consistent handling car. You couldn't push the car to its limit, you had to ease off and work with the car.

The second day of qualifying, I went back to my practice tires (less grip) and added a small bead of CA glue around the outside edge, no more than 1mm onto the tire surface. Before the race, I then sauced the entire front tires, where before I had only been doing the inside ring. With this combination, the soaked-in traction sauce (TQ Mod in this case) took away the push at the beginning of the race, and the bead of CA helped prevent traction rolls later on in the race.

For the rest of the setup, I added more droop at both ends of the car, which helped to settle it down in the infield. There was plenty of traction (duh) so the car still had a decent amount of transition steering. I also added washers under the rear studs to try and increase the camber gain at that end of the car.

Sadly, my main problem was batteries, and dumping. I had the brushless geared at a 7.5 and then a 7.3 on the qualifying days, and in four heats, these were my results:

#1 - on a 27 lap pace, dump with 30 seconds to go, ended with 25
#2 - I stupidly did not check for loose screws/parts beforehand, and after about 1/3 of the race, a caster block rattled loose
#3 - on a 27 lap pace, dump with 20 seconds to go, ended with 26
#4 - radio hits, pulled off

In the main, I still was getting radio hits, but only when I went too close to one guy's radio. A couple of times it threw me far off line and nearly wrecked me. But after gearing down to about a 7.8, I made run time and was still reasonably fast. My batteries are just too old and crappy right now to compete with the rest of the guys running newer matched stuff (sadly, even in brushless).

I got to hand it to Charlie Suangka though, not only was his Evo III dialed, he had some serious rip. Later on I found that he was gearing at an 8.3, so I was way the heck off. This was the first time I'd ever driven a brushless in a real race though, so I thought I did OK.

Foam was a different story. My car was just never fast. It handled well and all that, but had no straightaway speed. I dunno if it was batteries or what. Last night I put a new, smaller set of tires on it and never re-set my droop, and when I put it on the track today for the main it was horrible, and once again I pulled it off.

Still, in foam I was stuck in the F Main, and I think I was only about 4 seconds away from the D Main, and that was even with my slow car. If I'd had more time to work on my car and debug the thing, I'm confident I would have done a lot better. My driving was pretty good.

Anyway, there's my story.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Thumbs up Congrats to Bobby Flack

Hey guys I just wanted to say what a great job Bobby did all weekend at the Novak race. His car was super dialed and fast. Also its funny that a non shaft drive car in stock was so fast all weekend.... Good job and good luck at the Birds....and any way we can get the set-up that you were racing?
Old 01-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Kevin, after all you need to remember that the Losi car isn't the car to run on foams becuase it has sooooo much flex I feel for Todd though, he was sooo fast all week and just missed the show. But BK and Paulie both did well though. It was funny to hear Todd when were were doing top 10 pictures:
Dirt finished top three?? What the hell?

Brian just gave him an "I dunno how that happened" look, it was great.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Gary...also the XXXS doesn't have enough "drive shafts" to be fast....

Yeah BK was on this weekend and Paulie was just Paulie....bad luck in the first rounds of mains but he still pulled off the win in 19t and BK got 3rd in mod not bad. Todd had a fast car all weekend too just missing the main....like some of us(me) but I had too many mistakes with a car that was good enough to make top ten.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone got any of the setups of the from the A main finishers in stock foam sedan at the novak race? Any help would be great, as nobody around here runs stock foam, its all rubber. You can email ([email protected]) or PM it to me.....thanks.

Later EddieO
Old 01-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default Message...

Hi! im from the Philippines. Im new to this hobby and I just wanna ask you guys, how can i make my XXXS G+ tough. Coz when I play at my local track I always break a frnt arm, and it sucks! I really cannot enjoy playing on the track ..unless of course I play in a parking lot. need your help.. tnx!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.