R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #7546
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Luke....the speed tech ones are really a little bit bigger then the Losi low or the ones that I have are that way. I dont have the Matt Francis ones so I dont know how low they are.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:03 PM   #7547
Tech Apprentice

i think ill just get some more losi ones and grind them down. reduce weight and cash
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:10 PM   #7548
Tech Champion

Luke....I had an abundance of High Roll Center graphite blocks that I never use so I just ground them down. Most people that I know always seem to have a bunch of them in the tool box that never get used so here is a good way to put them to use.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #7549
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin K
The first time I went it was ok but it still sucks b/c the area that your in has NOTHING is open over the thanksgiving weekend and everything closes at like 8pm. But you do have Denny's across the street if you want the WORST food ever semi-cooked. And forget trying to order a Pizza or something thats near impossible....if your going bring food with you or make sure you venture outside before it gets dark while some places will still be open. And bring parts the hobby shop seems to have nothing you would need in it.....but you do get to see some of the best racing around. Ohhh and dont forget the 35 and 45 yearold crack whores that frequent the hotel Bar..... But its the BEST RACE EVER
kevin-you need to talk to the locals more!! The place is loaded with killer restaurants and bars!!!

Theres:

Champs
Hoggies
QS & L
Winking Lizard......

Also-Great job at the Halloween Classic. That was one close A, B and C-Mains in time!!! As many predicted, it was going to be one of the toughest A_mains to make!!

Last edited by rayhuang; 10-29-2003 at 06:27 PM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #7550
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Kevin Kane- What did running the lower rear roll center do for you? I have not tried it recently, and had no time to last weekend, I know you were running stock, but did it make the car steer more middle-out of the corner? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #7551
Tech Fanatic

kevin- this may sound stupid, but where do you put the lowered low roll centers, front or back, or both. (carpet foam, stock)
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:43 PM   #7552
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What Kevin is talking about is lowering the REAR roll center even further. It is pretty easy to do, you just need to shave down the rear roll center blocks 0.070-.080. I don't remember the exact measurement. When you put the 2R block in the lower holes on the bulkhead the, you want the car to have 0 antisquat in it( rear arms flat), insted of the 2 degrees of antisquat you would noramlly have with a standard low roll center block.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #7553
Tech Champion

Ray...Im sure it is loaded with cool places but for what ever reason we could never find anything and it seemed like everything closed up at 8pm that weekend. If we went out before it got dark we could find places but once it got dark most places closed up it seemed like. Anyway this was just my experience and I highly doubt that I will go back to that race.....its is a VERY tough race and the toughest race but there is some places its lacking.

Andrew....I felt it made the car rotate more and stayed a little flatter in the middle of the corner. So it did help on the corner exit it seemed to carry more speed and allow me to get through the corner faster with out binding up the car. Jucha is running this lowered roll center in mod so maybe when he gets some time he can post his feelings about it or Email him if you have his addy.

Pro3....I run the losi Low in the front and in the REAR is where I run the "Lowered" Low mount.

Last edited by Kevin K; 10-29-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:56 PM   #7554
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Kevin, THANKS for posting your setup!!! Have you drilled a new lower shock mounting hole on the front arm for increased tire clearance for 28mm tires?
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:06 PM   #7555
Tech Champion

Doug....No I have not done that. I posted once before(not sure if you saw it) that I grind away that "nipple" or rasied part of the front arm where you screw the shock to. If you grind that flat then you can get 28mm tires to fit with the TC3 hex's no problem....they do not rub at all on the shock. I also cut the shock bottom at a angle for extra clearance but is not really needed. Also I have a Gold washer glued to the steering knuckle to limit the throw a tad.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:18 PM   #7556
Tech Master

I did not see that. Sorry. Last year I drilled a new hole and also used ball cups for shock ends to get extra clearance. I was using the TRC tires though. Not sure of the offset between the two as we mainly race on concrete. Cant wait to try the setup next weekend!!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:23 PM   #7557
Tech Champion

Yeah thats what some guys do but after I ground that nub or what ever off I never really had a problem. Try it out and let me know how it works on cancrete I have never ran on that before so Im not sure how it react.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:20 PM   #7558
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Kevin, with nothing open it sounds like I will have to keep a tapped keg in my room. R/C Tech hosting party central at US Indoor Champs. How's that for promotion? When you've just made the J Main, come here to unwind with a cold one.

Thanks for the rundown!

Back on topic, however briefly: I got lost in the last exchange. You're saying that the Speedtech low (which is lower than the Losi low, which is actually mid) don't fit as well? Better to just grind down a set of Losi blocks?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:27 PM   #7559
Tech Master

By concrete I mean we do not race on carpet but for a couple months out of the year so the knowledge of foam/carpet racing is pretty slim. Its great that we can come here and pick up great tips for other forms of racing!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 AM   #7560
Tech Champion

Yeah Shane you and the guys from Canada can throw a nice little party.....be sure to look them up at the race they are always a party.

Ok the Speedtech Low roll center is really slightly higher then a Losi Low or the ones that I have are. I think its just easier to just grind a set of Losi blocks down....and then if you ever need to make it higher later you can just add shims.