Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2003, 11:34 AM   #7486
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Re: ackerman

Quote:
Originally posted by mcsquish
OK, I have a question, when moving the front arms .060" farther fwd than the stock fwd and you are supposed move and flip the bellcranks to fix the ackerman. How do you know that the ackerman is wrong? Why I ask is that I tried the arms .060" fwd and the bellcranks fwd. With that change the car was too smooth. It was good at turn in, but had a push middle and exit. If I try .030" fwd how will I know if I should run the bellcranks fwd or back? I hope that made since and any help woul be very helpful!
The setup I was given has the arms centered with the ackerman position back. I'm going to play with ackerman next week to see how it effects the handling of the car.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:07 PM   #7487
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpaton

Quote:
Originally posted by Adams44
dpaton

Where is there to run in by Schamburg? I work in Elk Grove alot and would like to bring my stuff. Any tracks race or practice through the week?
I run at Venture Raceways. They have an indoor carpet track that changes every few weeks. Open 5-10 on weeknights, $5 to practice.

There's a very nice list of the other tracks at Chicago RC.

One that didn't make the list is AJ's, which is in Dekalb.

There's more info over in the Illinois and Wisconsin Racing thread.

-dave
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #7488
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
Did you like the D5 better than the C2 based motor?
The faster lap times were with the C2 but they both felt great. Same track lay out and with the D5 my fastest lap was 11.3 With the C2 the fastest lap was 11.0 If the layout is the same this weekend we'll see what the Integy 19 turn can do.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #7489
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

TO ALL- This is STLNLST...... there was no 19 turn class today so we all ran stock but during practice the Integy 19 turn was just as fast as the C2 motor that I ran on Wednesday. It had plenty of punch on the infield and top end was strong and I could have gone up another tooth or two.

Also what do most of you think of running a sway bar in the rear along with one up front? What will a rear sway bar do to the car? It's something that I have been meaning to test but never got around to it. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:02 PM   #7490
Tech Apprentice

a swaybar in the rear will take away traction in the rear, but with less effect than a spring change. you may want to try one if your are traction rolling or have understeer.
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:50 AM   #7491
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
TO ALL- This is STLNLST...... there was no 19 turn class today so we all ran stock but during practice the Integy 19 turn was just as fast as the C2 motor that I ran on Wednesday. It had plenty of punch on the infield and top end was strong and I could have gone up another tooth or two.

Also what do most of you think of running a sway bar in the rear along with one up front? What will a rear sway bar do to the car? It's something that I have been meaning to test but never got around to it. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

...i have been curious also to what a rear sway bar would do... keep us posted if you do decide to try it out.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:56 AM   #7492
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: ackerman

Quote:
Originally posted by mcsquish
OK, I have a question, when moving the front arms .060" farther fwd than the stock fwd and you are supposed move and flip the bellcranks to fix the ackerman. How do you know that the ackerman is wrong? Why I ask is that I tried the arms .060" fwd and the bellcranks fwd. With that change the car was too smooth. It was good at turn in, but had a push middle and exit. If I try .030" fwd how will I know if I should run the bellcranks fwd or back? I hope that made since and any help woul be very helpful!

... if the car handles smooth, i'd try other ways of getting some more steering, like a one way, shock position or the roll center... (maybe go a losi low or MF low roll center if you're still using the high ones)

... i tried playing around with the ackerman before, and i didn't notice a big improvement... couldn't get mid to exit steering from the ackerman. my $.02
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #7493
TLRacing

STLNST-Are you guys racing carpet already??
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #7494
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm a new XXX g+ owner.
What is the result if I move the steering assembly in the foward holes of the chassis?? I can't find any info in the instruction guide.
PhatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #7495
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Hodge
STLNST-Are you guys racing carpet already??
Yep. This was the 2nd weekend on the rug. How are things down south? Do you have any input to give on running a rear sway bar?
Old 10-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #7496
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to M Ignacio
Default CVD's

Does anyone know if someone makes Shiny or Hardened or Titanium CVD's for the Losi? The aluminum ones are pretty soft. I just noticed that the hole for the setting pin for the aluminum cvd got pretty wide and alot of play is produced. Thanks in advance.
M Ignacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:30 PM   #7497
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpaton
Default Re: CVD's

Quote:
Originally posted by M Ignacio
Does anyone know if someone makes Shiny or Hardened or Titanium CVD's for the Losi?
MIP makes them all, including the OEM ones. I don't see the hard or shiny ones on the MIP page, but I know they exist.

The steel CVDs for the non G+ XXX-S are available as Losi part #A-9928. If you only want the shafts, not the axle stubs, you can get them too.

-dave
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #7498
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to M Ignacio

Thanks.
M Ignacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:00 PM   #7499
TLRacing

PhatPat- You will gain steering around center.

STLNST-Just finished up racing a few months of offroad. Getting back into TC right now and watching all the fire burn here in San Bernadino
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #7500
TLRacing

Default Rear Bar

Yes it will just give you a lot of steering....and loosen up the rear.