R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-11-2003, 11:01 AM   #7036
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Ballpy.....we talked about this a few pages back. There is no performance gain with this....you use this setup if you are in the forward ackerman holes in the chassis. When your bell cranks are forward and you have the stock servo location with the stock servo saver it will put the tie rod on a funny angle and can lead to uneven throw. So you can do this mod or space the ball stud on the servo saver out further so it stays inline. All its doing is keeping everything lined up properly.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #7037
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Rockheadsguy
Default chassis drag

I recently noticed that the rear corners on the underside of my chassis are getting a build up of tire goo/rubber from the carpet, as if they're dragging a lot... is it "normal" for the chassis to rub the carpet/ground? Or have I got it set too soft?
I've got the low roll centers in back, and mid in the front, siver springs in back, long camber links in back, sway bar front only... about 5mm ride height... any suuggestions?

thanks,
Brian
Rockheadsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #7038
Tech Champion

Brian....are you talking about the edges of the chassis right in front of the rear arms like by the motor and the last cell slot? If you are talking about the part infront of the rear arms you can take some sand paper and round the edges more so you get more clearance. If its the back edge of the chassis behind the rear arms by the bumper then raise your ride height. Or try a rear sway bar or just go up one spring. If your chassis is rubbing its going to slow you down not to mention maybe rip the carpet. If the goo is only on say the outside edge like the side that would rub in the sweeper(motor side) add a litle more pre-load to that side like a 1/4 turn on the shock.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:34 PM   #7039
Tech Initiate

Kevin--
Yeah, the chassis by the motor and last cell slot... but it's not just the edges, it's that whole flat area there, within an inch of the edges. It seems pretty equal on both sides. I hate to make the back end any stiffer, because I've been struggling for rear traction until recently... but I'll have to give it a try, thanks...
Old 09-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #7040
Tech Champion

Brian...are you racing at trackside? What tires are you running? The Todd hodge setup from the novak race last year is a good setup might want to try it out. Next time Im up there find or come see me or Brian Jucha and we will help you get your car working better. All that rubbing is not helping and you should not be lacking rear traction. When I was running rubber tires for the novak race I was at almost 6mm in the back and 5.5mm in the front. You could just raise the car a little....but a thin rear sway bar will keep the roll down and will add a little traction to the back.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:44 PM   #7041
Tech Initiate

Kevin, I'm at Trackside most Tuesday nights... I'm using the Take Off 27 tires. I've got the car working as well as I ever have, but it looks like I could be doing better if it wasn't rubbing. I'll try raising it a little more first, then try the sway bars...
Old 09-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #7042
Tech Champion

Cool man.....I can only make it up there on Sunday's so if you race on a sunday look us up if you still need some help.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:11 PM   #7043
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Brian - I race on tuesdays, blue & white stratus 2.0. Bring it by, I usually pit next to or near Russ, between the two of us, im sure we can get you hooked up.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:14 PM   #7044
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Kevin K,

I need some help. Building a Graphite + for mod racing this season. Was wondering if you might be able to send me the dialed set up you and Jucha are running????????? Will give me a starting point. Thanks bro.

You coming to the Halloween Classic in November? Ray Huang's track in Cleveland. I "thought" I saw your name on there.

fleetwoodracing@yahoo.com
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:40 PM   #7045
Tech Initiate

Troy, thanks... Russ was the one to point out the dragging problem, actually... I'll see you up there.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 PM   #7046
Tech Champion

Rob...you got mail. Yes Im going to the Classic but I thought it was in October....not November Im running the MF set up off the losi site and the car is working very well....but that setup calls for Blue congo's....good thing I have some left over from the SW days Losi blacks feel close to the same as the congo blue if you dont have any congos. Anyway I asked Brian to Email you the setup hes running....both our cars are working very well. My car rolls more then his car but we will see what we do after this weekend.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #7047
Tech Elite

Kevin K,

You're right. October~

Thanks for the tip on the set up. Let me know if you guys find anything out this weekend. My car will be here next week. I've got a week or two before hits the scene. Gotta go to Dosie's and lay the mad tool to it ya know~
Old 09-13-2003, 07:07 PM   #7048
Tech Initiate

Almost done with the build of my XXX-S G+ after having to put it aside for a little while until I could get some new thrust balls (the kit came with a set a 7 thrust balls and 1 diff ball in a bag supposed to contain 8 thrust balls) to solve a kit problem.

Question: I noticed the front arms wanted to bind when the screws on the rolls centers and front brace were tightened flush. If I keep the screws loose the free movement of the arms returns but there is a *very slight* bit of play in the roll center graphite piece. The screws are still flush with the chassis although not all the way "in" and I feel it seems pretty solid but I was suprised. Any ideas here... anyone else have this problem?

Thanks...
saabcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #7049
Tech Elite

Definitely tighten the screws. Those roll center blocks must be snug (do not over tighten). Often times the graphite parts do not fit as wanted. Try filing a tiny amount off of the arm where it touches the roll center mount. Sand a little at a time until free. This should solve your problem.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:10 PM   #7050
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I noticed after a slight filing and then polishing the hinge pins the arms are very free.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote