R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-10-2001, 12:31 PM   #691
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

shane, b-t repacks other gears....the kawada is the one you like....very good..
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:26 PM   #692
Ty
Tech Regular

Carpet racers:

I was running the Andrew Gray setup (carpet with foams) on the Losi website.

I asked what he was running currently and his buddy Todd Lewis replied:

Todd Lewis (Tuesday, October 9, 2001, 6:41 p.m.)
TY- I think this was Andrew's setup..at least as of last week. He runs JACO tires so if you are running TRC foams you may need to make some minor changes..

Front - 60s w/50 wt, Trinity blue congos, outside tower, camber p/u #2 w/standard height ball in hub, 2' of kickup and 4' castor blocks, batteries forward, JACO plaids, 1/2 traction, 4.5' turning diameter, 2 droop, 3.5mm ride height, .062 sway bar

Rear-57s w/50 wt, Losi purple, outside tower/outside arm, camber p/u 1B w/ standard height ball in hub, stock toe and hubs, 0' anti-squat, JACO purples, full traction, 4 droop, 3.5mm ride height

VERY slammed Protoform Stratus 7 turn geared 18/88 w/57 mm tires....

Hope this helps....

Looks pretty good to me.

Mr. Losi: Does B + T also carry Dumor spur gears or just thin Kawadas? Thanks.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:26 PM   #693
Ty
Tech Regular

I found a couple web sites that might help you guys.

www.kc-racing.com has Reedy Ti based mod motors for only $45 and they have great prices on brushes in bulk.

www.rc4less.com is Bruce Triplett's site (oval racer). He has Putnam tuned MVP's for only $30 and he carry's the Putnam brushes in bulk packs. I still have to try the Putnam brushes. Plus he has BSR tires for cheap. BSR tires have the seam across the tire and not down the middle as do TRC and Jaco.

I support my local hobby shop, but on some items his discount is not that good. His prices on kits are great though. I got my XXX-S for $180.00 and my TC-3 racer back in the day for $160. He also has great prices on B + T batteries, SMC batteries, and Powerpush batteries and he has exotic sedan foams (plaid or blue/orange) for only $17. He always has Fantom stock motors and runs a great track. He does mail order if you guys don't have a good local shop. I will give out his phone number to those who are interested.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 11:43 PM   #694
Rog
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, just a quick question about the Trinity spur gear adaptor. What exactly is the problem with running a Kimbrough or Robinson spur? Will it rub or bind or something? I'm just curious cuz my LHS has a "demo" XXX-S with all the Matt Francis parts on it. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if this is the same car displayed at the Chicago Hobby Show. Anyway, my point is that it has a Kimbrough Spur on it and it seems to spin freely with no problems. I'm taking my digital camera to the shop tomorrow to take pictures of it. Anyway, anyone have any input? Are they just trying to get people to buy the Losi spurs?
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 11:48 PM   #695
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Rog,

Did the car have the belt in it? Trinity is pushing the Trinity Spurs not the Losi ones. On the other hand Losi is pushing their molded spurs.

When you get the shop ask them Kimbrough and Robinson gears work with the adaptor. What shop was it?
Old 10-11-2001, 12:06 AM   #696
Rog
Tech Apprentice

MDawson - Yes the belt was in it. I looked at it pretty closely and it looked like a Kimbrough spur to me. I know you are testing the SpeedTech hopup parts so you must be somewhat close to, or possibly familiar with, the Covina area. The car is at Elite Hobby Shop in Covina. It's on Shoppers Lane which is just behind the Volvo dealer on Citrus, north of the 10 fwy. If you get a chance, stop by there and check it out. The parts are pretty nice. Don't much care for red though. He had an adaptor there for $29
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:19 AM   #697
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. I havent been to Elite. I will check it out.

As for the MF parts, Raul from Titan Tech brought the car out to the track several weeks ago. Pretty clean stuff. Titan Tech did a great job creating some key hop-ups for the car.

The tunnel space is tight. If the spur pulley is moved too far (with use of a wide-spur) right (car front pointing away from you) it may not allow the belt to track correctly on the tensioner pulley ultimately causing a bind.

I'll check out Elite tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:20 AM   #698
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

hey futurereal this question is kinda off the subject of xxx-s but I don't know any other place to post it at this time of the night. Do you know if pro's(Lemieux, Francis, Kinwald) use the super-fast steering servos(.06,.08sec.) when they compete and do they use the steering exponential on their radios? If so do they use the + value or the - value?

Last edited by webspinner; 10-11-2001 at 04:50 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 03:14 AM   #699
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Pretty much every factory (or otherwise very good) driver I have met has used the high speed servos. You don't necessarily need high-torque servos for electric TCs, but the high speed helps out a lot.

As for the steering exponential, I really have no idea. Some guys will get very precise with their settings, others just set the basic stuff and leave it be. For that particular setting, I am not familar with many guys around here who use it, although I am pretty sure that using a + value would give you a greater response to steering wheel movements. A - value would be similar to dual rate. I could be totally wrong there, but that is my understanding of it.

Last edited by futureal; 10-11-2001 at 03:16 AM.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:05 AM   #700
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Gear adapter- Unless Robinson and Kimbrough offer low friction or some other thinner than their standard gears in 48 pitch the regular gears rub the white pulley on the belt tensioner (sp) The Robinson didn't rub as much but it didn't let the drive train run as freely as a stock Losi spur or a Trinity gear. Matt has been playing around with just about every spur gear he could get his hands on.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:33 AM   #701
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

STLNLST: Has he tried Corally 48 or 64 pitch gears? I can't believe that they would rub. They are very thin and get thinner towards the outward part of the gear teeth.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:47 PM   #702
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

The XXX-S Graphite shock towers are available. Pricing and pictures are available on the front page of our website. Check them out!

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 05:15 PM   #703
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Darkside- We will get a hold of some of the coraly gears and test them out. I don't know if they have been tested. Robinson and kimbrough are house hold names and were tested first because they are basically everywhere.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:44 PM   #704
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Default Missing threads on my diff screw

Hey everyone,

Just bought the kit yesterday and set out to put it together tonight. I'm still working on "Bag A", finished putting the first diff together properly - then I start working on the second diff, and whoa, the 'diff screw' that's left over does not have threads on it.... am I missing something? I'm assuming it should have threads just like the first one so it attaches to the nut on the male outdrive. Any thoughts / comments / workarounds are appreciated. thanks
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 10:52 PM   #705
Tech Elite

There is no work around. You should just move to other parts of the car to assemble. Stop by your LHS tomorrow and see if you can pick one up there. In the meantime, call Losi in the morning as well. They should send you at least some replacements.