Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 09-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i was reading through your comments on the action and reaction of the various spring and shock oil combinations, and i found them quite similar to my own experiences...

the handling trait that i'm looking for now, is a lesser initial steering but more mid to exit steering.

my set-up last week:

green springs in front mounted #3 position 40wt oil
blue springs at the rear #2 position 40wt oil
front camber link # 2
rear camber link 2A
rear arm - forward
front arm - forward
ackerman forward
front and rear diff
losi alfa body
losi front low roll center

things i changed to gain more steering:

i tried the #1 position in the front camber link ... i think it added to much will put back to the number two position.

things to try out tom:
Front one way
high front roll center
front arm spacing
front shock position
front springs
protoform alfa body

... any comments would be highly appreciated.

thanks - jason
Old 09-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you're looking for mid to exit cornering, try out the spool. It will limit your initial steering like you wanted and let you carve through sweepers on power like a oneway will.
I love running the spools. I've run one exclusively since I had to at the Reedy race. Even on tight tracks. You can always tune some turn in into the car with suspension to compensate for the spool on entry. Plus I like brakes.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

for a one way or diff... any suspension suggestions?
Old 09-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi there, one-way will give you a bit more steering when compared with diff, i use green springs up front and silvers on the rear, if you need more steering then put the blue on the rear .if you feel your car is a bit twiching lay down the front shocks one hole inward or move rear shocks one hole outward. set your drop f 2-3mm r 5 mm, 50 weight oil all round. don't forget do not use brake , you need to be more gentle on the throttle.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Tag
Tech Master

moving the FRONT arms forward will cause the car to initiate the turn better but push a bit in the middle.Moving the front arms back typically increases steering all the way around the turns.

i run front sway bar on a high bite track for keeping the car planted. start both ends with sofest sway bars, if one end needs more traction stiffen up the end that has more traction, somehting needs to experiment with.

you may also want to try 2 degree front blocks, it will give you less steering going to the turn and more steering going out . it works really well on a flowing track that has a lot of sweeping turn, if your track is small and tight then stay with 4 degree.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Tag
Tech Master

as for the FRONT shock position, if you want more steering or more responsiveness then go outward on hole, moving the shocks inward will make the car less responsive and subdued.

as for the FRONT roll center, i use the inside holes just how i like it. use outside holes your car will remain flatter through out the turns.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbie..

Hi guyz..

I just got the XXX-S G+, and is rather new to the car. I was hoping to ask u guyz how good are the front one way. Cause i've used one and i think its already spoilt (one side feels a bit squigy) just after one race. Hope u all can offer some light on this.. thanx.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

go get the tech racing one.... and remeber to buy TC3 hard dog bone as well...
Old 09-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

TAG :

thnx for the advice...

Ran today and this was what my final set-up was:

Blue springs in front 40wt oil number 2 position - High roll center
Red springs at the rear 40wt oil number 3 postion - low roll center
front camber link inner most hole (number 1)
rear camber link 2A
Front arms forward
rear arms forward
ackerman forward
4 deg caster
front block 0F
rear block 0R
One Way
2nd to the thickest sway bars (front only)
camber 1 deg all around

overall its more driveable for me, but i need to let off sooner to get on the throttle to be able to turn more tightly, otherwise the car understeers going out.

... maybe its just my driving...

... next practice session, i want to make the car a little less aggressive going in but, a bit more steering going out.

... maybe ill move the front arms in the middle just as you suggested and ill try the blu springs at the rear...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

try the 2 degree caster blocks. they give more exit steering. i like these a lot better then the 4 degree ones.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Tag
Tech Master

seems like your car push a bit ? few things you can try , move the front shock one hole up,harder front sway bar, stiffer spring rear. but before you try all these i will suggest to give a little more front toe out first, try it maybe it just what all you need to do.

Originally posted by highwayman
TAG :

thnx for the advice...

Ran today and this was what my final set-up was:

Blue springs in front 40wt oil number 2 position - High roll center
Red springs at the rear 40wt oil number 3 postion - low roll center
front camber link inner most hole (number 1)
rear camber link 2A
Front arms forward
rear arms forward
ackerman forward
4 deg caster
front block 0F
rear block 0R
One Way
2nd to the thickest sway bars (front only)
camber 1 deg all around

overall its more driveable for me, but i need to let off sooner to get on the throttle to be able to turn more tightly, otherwise the car understeers going out.

... maybe its just my driving...

... next practice session, i want to make the car a little less aggressive going in but, a bit more steering going out.

... maybe ill move the front arms in the middle just as you suggested and ill try the blu springs at the rear...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Default Re: Newbie..

losi 's oneway unit is pretty strong i have been into seveal bad hits but still came out okay. you may want to take out the front diff and see if there's anything broken( check the bearings too) clean it with motor spring and relube them.

Originally posted by lozi
Hi guyz..

I just got the XXX-S G+, and is rather new to the car. I was hoping to ask u guyz how good are the front one way. Cause i've used one and i think its already spoilt (one side feels a bit squigy) just after one race. Hope u all can offer some light on this.. thanx.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by jkerr0043
If you're looking for mid to exit cornering, try out the spool. It will limit your initial steering like you wanted and let you carve through sweepers on power like a oneway will.
I love running the spools. I've run one exclusively since I had to at the Reedy race. Even on tight tracks. You can always tune some turn in into the car with suspension to compensate for the spool on entry. Plus I like brakes.
Hey Jkerr0043 when you run the spool are you using the standard pulley or overdrive? any benefits from using a overdrive on the spool? Also this seems like it's pretty hard on the drive train, what kinds of parts can i expect to fail or wear more quickly than normal? And what, if any do you recomend to beef up the front end or whole drive train to run this setup?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by tricklosi
Hey Jkerr0043 when you run the spool are you using the standard pulley or overdrive? any benefits from using a overdrive on the spool? Also this seems like it's pretty hard on the drive train, what kinds of parts can i expect to fail or wear more quickly than normal? And what, if any do you recomend to beef up the front end or whole drive train to run this setup?
I havent tried the 41 tooth pulley yet, but that is on my list of tests to do. I've been running the spool since early May and never had one problem. I've been running almost all 19 turn or open mod and the outdrives are even still in good shape. I've broken two arms in that same period of time in some very very hard hits and not even a bent CVD. It gives amazing handling on power and you can tune the car to have some very good steering off power going into the corners with springs and camber links.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by jkerr0043
I havent tried the 41 tooth pulley yet, but that is on my list of tests to do. I've been running the spool since early May and never had one problem. I've been running almost all 19 turn or open mod and the outdrives are even still in good shape. I've broken two arms in that same period of time in some very very hard hits and not even a bent CVD. It gives amazing handling on power and you can tune the car to have some very good steering off power going into the corners with springs and camber links.
sounds like something to try next time i'm at the track practicing. Im currently running a losi oneway....and loving it.....but always looking for new ways to get around a little faster......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.