R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2003, 11:31 PM   #6976
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

here's my experience with springs, Front : more front traction( steering ) go with a softer front spring , use harder springs if your car has way too much steering, Rear :if your car has too much steering then softer springs will take out some steering and vice versa.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:39 PM   #6977
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Tag-
The Losi Alph has dimples molded into it for the XXXS body mounts and antenna. The only thing I wish it had was rear wheel wells but just mount it with the wheels on and mark where they are and do your cutouts from there.

As far a springs go, generally and softer spring will give you more traction on the end you put them on. Your observations are pretty much correct. If you've got too much front traction, you can either go with a stiffer spring, stand the shock up, which acts as a slightly stiffer spring. Just make sure your spring match your dampening. If you have too soft of a sprin with a very heavy oil, the spring can't over come the dampening and you end up with a very sluggish car. The opposite is also true. If you're spring is too heavy for the dampening, you'll end up with a springy, over responsive car.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:55 PM   #6978
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to audiaudi Send a message via MSN to audiaudi

About the bodies, I think if you are going to run rubber on carpet, go for the Protoform Alfa, but for high grip race, like foam tires, or else, choose the Losi Alfa. The protoform alfa provide more grip, somewhat excessive, but the losi alfa will make the car steer more, expecially in the mid corner.
For springs, Harder springs on foam tires provide higher grip, vise versa. It's been almost 5 years since last time I run foam tires on a touring, I remembered I put a set of serpent shock with 100wt trinty shocks oil inside... and use the stiffest set of spring on my X-press... It seems crazy in nowadays.
In case of rubber tire, it will be more complicated. Usually as Tag saids, a softer spring provide more grip on tires, but if the spring is too soft for the car, the car will "rolls" too much in the corner and will cause oversteer in the mid corner, when the reaction will be very slow when go in a corner, better watch out. since lay down the shocks will also soften the spring (this action will soften the spring quite a lot), when you feel you car rolls too much, but you think the handling of the car is ok, you car try to lay down the spring, and use a harder set of spring. I recommend to use harder spring, laying down the shocks instead of stand-up the shock with softer spring, you'll see the different in the mid corner.

Trying very hard to jump back into RC with CRC Xti-wc.
audiaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:05 AM   #6979
Tech Champion

audi-
You make a good point about the springs. I was just trying to be a little generic. I think the reason your getting more traction out of the stiff sprins on carpet is exactly what you said about the roll of the chassis. If the car rolls too much you will loose a lot of traction because your putting a lot of weight on the outside wheels and none on the inside so you're essentially cutting your gripping surface down. Carpet give enormus amounts of traction and if you run soft springs on it, you'll get a lot of roll. So you run stiffer springs and keep it from rolling as much. But the same idea applies. If you want a little more fron grip, you can go from a 40 lb to a 35 lb spring instead of a rubber tire setup where you'd go from a 20 to a 17. You just don't want to go from a 40 to a 17! Even though you're going down in rate, you'll loose traction on that end because of excessive roll.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:25 AM   #6980
Tech Fanatic

Default tag

tag-
the novak touring car championships, it's in milwaukee wisconsin, the dates i think jan. 20(weekend). There website is www.trackside.com, and if u go to the event coverage page on rctech.net, they have coverage of last years event.
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #6981
Tech Addict

its not called the novak race anymore. its now called the us touring car champs. it is in milwaukee, and it is jan. 7 - 11.

Team Futaba -Track Power - MIP - Team Gravity RC - Motive RC - F3A Unlimited - Gator RC - Trackside Hobbies&Raceway - HobbyTown USA Lake In THe Hills & TimeWarp Raceway
matt d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:43 PM   #6982
Tech Fanatic

Default yea

yea, i know the name of the event, but isn't it sponsored mainly by novak?
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:36 PM   #6983
Tech Apprentice

hmmm ok i hear what you guys are saying about the spring rates and the roll effect it has but am i doing something wrong? I'm racing on carpet and using CS-27 fronts with CS-24 in the rear...also using the stock purple springs in the front and oranges in the rear. i'm also using the thinnest rear sway and the second to thinckest in the front.....well what's happening is this car appears to be handling well but i'm still drifting around most corners....i know i'm losing speed by doing this and then always having to make it up after each turn....how can i get this guy planted? i'm also using 45wt oil in the front and 30wt for the rear shocks.
tricklosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:56 PM   #6984
Tech Champion

Are they the softer orange or the stiffer orange you're using in the rear? If you're using the softer ones, they're only 8.6 lb springs and your fronts are 20 pound springs. So you have a stiff spring and a stiff swaybar in the front and a very soft spring and thin swaybar in the back. That's your problem I think. You're getting too much roll in the rear and loosing traction. Stiffen it up in the rear. Put purples on all around and equal sized sway bars. See what it does then. I bet it'll feel a lot better than it does now.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:57 PM   #6985
Tech Regular

For rubber on carpet, I use the stock purple at rear and green at front, with Sorex 36R 4pcs.
I your setting, may be the rear shocks overall was too light, sometimes a light shock and spring will make the rear "drop" too quick in certain corner, like hair pins or some high-low-high speed corner. if you use a high grip (softer) tires in the rear, the rear tires will suddenly be over its traction then lost the grip. You can give us some more information about you setting and the reaction of the car to see where is the problem.
Moreover, if you are using the stock setting of the XXX-S G+, try to shorter the front camber by one hole, or use the upper inner camber link hole at the rear. Don't do it at the same time or you'll find the car understeer quite a lot. Try the rear first.

Old 09-01-2003, 11:59 PM   #6986
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
Are they the softer orange or the stiffer orange you're using in the rear? If you're using the softer ones, they're only 8.6 lb springs and your fronts are 20 pound springs. So you have a stiff spring and a stiff swaybar in the front and a very soft spring and thin swaybar in the back. That's your problem I think. You're getting too much roll in the rear and loosing traction. Stiffen it up in the rear. Put purples on all around and equal sized sway bars. See what it does then. I bet it'll feel a lot better than it does now.
jkerr: We reply almost the same time.. seems we always got the same opinion....

Old 09-02-2003, 12:01 AM   #6987
Tech Champion

great minds think alike i guess
Old 09-02-2003, 12:24 AM   #6988
Tech Regular

Yup Yup....

Old 09-02-2003, 12:40 AM   #6989
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your input you guys...i'll try it the next time i go to practice....
tricklosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:35 PM   #6990
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
hi guys, i am thinking about getting a new alfa body for my G-plus, i know both losi and protoform make it, can somebody tell me which should i go with ? thanks
losi alfa has more steering than the protoform alfa, personally i have both and just switch bodiers to suit the track conditions.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote